Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
did anyone else notice this? it's weird, because at the top of the page it says that 5 kingdoms are used to categorize all organisms. then further down the page it says that there are 4 kingdoms in domain eukarya, and no other mention of any other kingdoms to add up to 5. then i realized they just go from protista onward, no mention of monera. do they not use the term/kingdom anymore??

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
I believe that monera is not used anymore.
I think blue green (something, i forgot was it algae? blue green algae?) belongs to cyanobacteria which is same as monera.

dennisDDS

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Status
  1. Dental Student
According to Barrons, Monera is no longer used..

From the 1960s to 1990s the 5 kingdom system was used
Monera, protista, fungi, plantae, and animalia.

but now the modern system is used which is the 3 domain system

Domain Bacteria, Archaea, and Eukarya

Domain bacteria has viruses because they dont know what to do with them
Domain Archaea has extremophiles
Domain Eukarya has the 4 kingoms
1. Protista 2. Fungi 3. Plants 4. Animals..

hope this helps.

About the Ads

marcusho

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
i'm looking at the book right now and Kingdom Monera is on the 1st page of 5 kingdom survey, so yeah Monera is just all the prokaryotic bacteria which includes the cyanobacteria (blue-green algae)

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
I think the only place that still use this outdated term is DAT destroyer.

ongoingdat

5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2009
Status
  1. Dental Student
did anyone else notice this? it's weird, because at the top of the page it says that 5 kingdoms are used to categorize all organisms. then further down the page it says that there are 4 kingdoms in domain eukarya, and no other mention of any other kingdoms to add up to 5. then i realized they just go from protista onward, no mention of monera. do they not use the term/kingdom anymore??

hmmm.. I'm studying with Kaplan BB 2008-2009,, they use Monera term.. I was confused too because cliff does not mention about Monera..

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
  1. Dental Student
Monera are bacteria!
I believe Cliff simply refers to them as bacteria and goes into more details about classifying bacteria based on mode of nutrition and physical appearance.

DJ Shin

djinshin
Jul 18, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
yeah...
blue-green algae is considered a cyanobacteria, ... but
green-algae in considered to be plantae.....

nadinex

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
wait, so monera is bacteria.. well prokaryotes.. and so its simply not used anymore because of the three domain system we have now... ? just making sure cause this is actually a question i have to answer haha

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads