why is there no "monera" kingdom in cliff's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone else notice this? it's weird, because at the top of the page it says that 5 kingdoms are used to categorize all organisms. then further down the page it says that there are 4 kingdoms in domain eukarya, and no other mention of any other kingdoms to add up to 5. then i realized they just go from protista onward, no mention of monera. do they not use the term/kingdom anymore??

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that monera is not used anymore.
I think blue green (something, i forgot was it algae? blue green algae?) belongs to cyanobacteria which is same as monera.

According to Barrons, Monera is no longer used..

From the 1960s to 1990s the 5 kingdom system was used
Monera, protista, fungi, plantae, and animalia.

but now the modern system is used which is the 3 domain system

Domain Bacteria, Archaea, and Eukarya

Domain bacteria has viruses because they dont know what to do with them
Domain Archaea has extremophiles
Domain Eukarya has the 4 kingoms
1. Protista 2. Fungi 3. Plants 4. Animals..

hope this helps.

i'm looking at the book right now and Kingdom Monera is on the 1st page of 5 kingdom survey, so yeah Monera is just all the prokaryotic bacteria which includes the cyanobacteria (blue-green algae)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the only place that still use this outdated term is DAT destroyer.

did anyone else notice this? it's weird, because at the top of the page it says that 5 kingdoms are used to categorize all organisms. then further down the page it says that there are 4 kingdoms in domain eukarya, and no other mention of any other kingdoms to add up to 5. then i realized they just go from protista onward, no mention of monera. do they not use the term/kingdom anymore??

hmmm.. I'm studying with Kaplan BB 2008-2009,, they use Monera term.. I was confused too because cliff does not mention about Monera..

Monera are bacteria!
I believe Cliff simply refers to them as bacteria and goes into more details about classifying bacteria based on mode of nutrition and physical appearance.

yeah...
blue-green algae is considered a cyanobacteria, ... but
green-algae in considered to be plantae.....

wait, so monera is bacteria.. well prokaryotes.. and so its simply not used anymore because of the three domain system we have now... ? just making sure cause this is actually a question i have to answer haha