Why...Medicine?

JustK

Doc in 2025 or so...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...

Why did you want to be a doctor? or go into medicine? What kind?

Tell me your story. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious...

Why did you want to be a doctor? or go into medicine? What kind?

Tell me your story. :)

As a child, I never had "that experience" which would be the reason I would choose a career in medicine. In gr 11, I was looking at British University prospectus. I wasn't really interested in anything at that time and my dad asked me, "why don't you go into medicine?" After that, I looked around on SDN for a bit, premed101, medschoolready and all around. Found that it was of interest because my main interest is in problem solving and I knew as a child that I wanted to do philanthropy. I wasn't the "math" type of guy so engineering was eliminated. Ironically I liked physics but lets be honest; gr 12 physics is very much different from third year advance mechanics. But that option has always stayed around for some reason.. Next, with the economic recession and all, I figured with an arts degree it would be rather difficult to find a job. That said, all that was left was teaching, business and science/medicine. I am a good student but not a great teacher. I can grasp ideas but I can't help anyone else grasp them. I continue to debate between business and medicine. I like medicine because it is more problem solving in comparison to business but I do like the thought of working in T-Dot or NYC or Downtown LA.. So for me, its a science degree in undergrad but not a biology degree since I don't like botany or zoology. If I feel that my interests are changing, I will reapply to business schools (LSE <3).

Regarding the type of medicine, I want to do diagnostics (role model is House; not his behaviour, rather his work). I am leaning towards Internal Medicine as it leads to a whole lot of different diagnostics specialties. That's my story.. absolutely no life changing experience that has led me to pursue a career in medicine; rather it has been a simple process of elimination. :D

-vpv

My ex girlfriend once said "you can't just decide to go to med school, people prepare for that their whole lives." So i'm doing it to spite her.

But really, it was my military physician who shared numerous stories of med school (he went to UVa if anyone cares and he's a great doctor), residency, and life after experiences that made me want to look at it.

Of course the salaries blew me away, but the work and lifestyles of some specialties are more appealing, especially after being enlisted for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew from early on that the medical field is where I would end up being in some shape or form. Once I started gaining more insight into medicine I loved it more and more, the science, the people, just the whole doing this while getting to help others made this a very desirable field to me.

I only recently in the last year or two, thought of becoming a physician. Truth be told, my original plan was to become a nurse, but a very wise high school teacher told me why nursing wouldn't be the best mix for me. ( Now after volunteering at a hospital for the last year I could see that he was sooooo RIGHT!!:thumbup:)

But I think that I have what it takes to make it (just like everyone else here), and it will be really interesting to see if I actually make it.

P.S Welcome to SDN, K!

Maybe someone can relate to this but I had to stay overnight at a hospital once and I don't like feeling helpless so it was very weird for me and I happened to get a very personable and calm doctor at the hospital and that made me want to be in that position, helping people kind of like a hero, that's what sparked my initial interest.

I have been intrigued by radiology for a very long time, and how these Radiologists can just stare at an MRI and decide what's wrong with the patient.

Not necessarily wanting to be a Family Care Phys., mostly just radiology.

I went to my school library one day and noticed a book about the brain. I started reading the book and ended up getting really interested and started to go to the school library a lot more. I started reading more and more about the human body and all of it's many functions and soon became very intrigued. I then ended up going online and learning more about a doctors life and what he/she does on a daily basis. I learned about the perks and the downsides and weighed it out. I decided the pull factors outweighed everything else and then made it my dream to pursue medicine--then I joined SDN :)

I love scineces and I love to help people.

This statement represents 10000000000000000 premeds' lies.

This is an easy one:
It is the only degree that gives me the ticket to cut up human bodies:D! and I get to wear a white lab coat while doing it :smuggrin:. Pretty sweet deal, IMHO.

Doctors are able to take ppl at their worst condition, almost dying even, and bring them back, or at least try to. It is so satisfying, plus the job security is nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to become a doctor because my uncle told me a story about when he was in the Vietnam War he was shot 3 times in his gut. He told me it should have been a fatal injury but because of the flight surgeon he managed to pull out of it alive. This makes me want to be a surgeon because I want to be able to save lives just like the FS did. Plus, like everyone else, the benefits and salary is nice. Once you are out of debt of course.

Care to elaborate?

That is the default answer for most pre-meds that haven't either thought about why they really want to do this, or because they are trying to make themselves sound noble to other non-pre-meds when they are really just in for the money, respect, and of course the babes.

I don't see why one must have a definite answer. Some people want to be doctors just because the profession intrigues them. Why does anyone want to be anything? Obviously, because they have some interest in that career. However, that doesn't mean they must have a particular reason.

My only reasons for wanting to become a doctor is because I get to interact with different people, I get to 'use' my brain quite often, and I get to make difficult and sometimes life changing/ending decisions. Other than that, I have no other reasons for wanting to become a doctor.

I don't see why one must have a definite answer. Some people want to be doctors just because the profession intrigues them. Why does anyone want to be anything? .

Because for med school admissions you have this little thing called a personal statement that has to cover explicitly why you want to be a doctor. This also makes or breaks most people's application.

Because for med school admissions you have this little thing called a personal statement that has to cover explicitly why you want to be a doctor. This also makes or breaks most people's application.

I understand that; however, it seems like a lot of people on this site expect to hear some life altering answer. I also don't understand the big deal about having the generic answer of "I want to be a doctor so I can help people." Some people truly want to help people. And if I was to give that answer to a committee at a medical school, and they didn't like my answer... well screw them. I don't want to attend a school that doesn't respect my views/answers.

I also don't understand the big deal about having the generic answer of "I want to be a doctor so I can help people." Some people truly want to help people. And if I was to give that answer to a committee at a medical school, and they didn't like my answer... well screw them.

The big deal is that "I want to help people" is not really an answer at all. If you respond to your interviewer in this fashion, he/she will immediately point out that most jobs involve "helping" people, and that there are easier ways to go about "helping" people than 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 3-9 years of residency. Which kinda leaves you back at square one with a stupid look on your face.

For most i suspect medicine matches their interests/passions and abilities. It is a career that is unlike many others. When you graduate from college and go to work at corporation X or start business Y or go to grad school of Z you have no idea what you will be doing 5, 10, 15 or 30 years in the future. With medicine you know exactly what your path is (residency, fellowship, practice). Not many careers provide the structure and security that medicine does. The salary ceiling may be higher in business or other fields but the floor is much lower compared to the floor in medicine. There are still choices along the way as to exactly what you do (specialty, practice type) but once you get into medical school you are pretty much set for the next 30-40 years baring any random turn of luck.

Every pre-med wants to help poor suffering people in the world but most would first want to provide a good life for themselves, their spouse, and children.

Fair point, but I see what bigwill is getting at. You like food, right? Think of one you really like. Now tell me why you like it. Not so easy. Sure, you could give some answer about how you get a pleasurable sensation from the food molecules interacting with your taste receptors, but that just diminishes your liking of the taste into an obscure statement which detracts from the reality of why you like it. What careers interest you are the same way--they just feel right.

I don't know for a fact what I want to do with my life. I'm interested in medicine, but I have little idea of what it's actually like. I haven't shadowed any doctors, volunteered at a hospital, or gotten much first-hand experience with the profession. But if I understand one thing about pursuing a medical career it's that you can't go into it for the extraneous reasons alone and expect to be satisfied with your choice. You have to really dig the practice of medicine itself--the application of science toward the art of treating patients.

I know my future job has to involve science in some way. Everything else seems like an uncolored picture.

I'm headed off to college in the fall where I'll learn, explore, search... find out what tastes just right. ;)

My dad told me, "Tib, you have to use what you've got."

It was either my brain or my boobs. I went with the former.

Reactions: 1 user
Fair point, but I see what bigwill is getting at. You like food, right? Think of one you really like. Now tell me why you like it. Not so easy. Sure, you could give some answer about how you get a pleasurable sensation from the food molecules interacting with your taste receptors, but that just diminishes your liking of the taste into an obscure statement which detracts from the reality of why you like it. What careers interest you are the same way--they just feel right.

I don't know for a fact what I want to do with my life. I'm interested in medicine, but I have little idea of what it's actually like. I haven't shadowed any doctors, volunteered at a hospital, or gotten much first-hand experience with the profession. But if I understand one thing about pursuing a medical career it's that you can't go into it for the extraneous reasons alone and expect to be satisfied with your choice. You have to really dig the practice of medicine itself--the application of science toward the art of treating patients.

I know my future job has to involve science in some way. Everything else seems like an uncolored picture.

I'm headed off to college in the fall where I'll learn, explore, search... find out what tastes just right. ;)

Niblet, I couldn't have said it better myself. You understood EXACTLY what I was saying. And I feel EXACTLY the way you do about everything you posted afterwards.

I also don't understand the big deal about having the generic answer of "I want to be a doctor so I can help people." Some people truly want to help people.

Medical schools don't "look down" on applicants who say they want to "help people"; however, you must realize that that response, at face value, does not really demonstrate a large degree of insight or thought you have given to entering the profession. As others have stated, there are many professions that exist to serve or help others outside of the medical field. Obviously, we cannot tell you what your motivations are for wanting to enter medicine or speak for all doctors as to why they chose their careers, but demonstrating a significant insight as to why medicine stands out for you among other noble and humble professions is hardly an unreasonable expectation of an admissions committee.

And if I was to give that answer to a committee at a medical school, and they didn't like my answer... well screw them. I don't want to attend a school that doesn't respect my views/answers.

All right, I might as well just come out and say it now:

1. "I want to help people," while it may be true, is a superficial answer, and given that there is hardly a dearth of applicants just itching to outshine you in an interview setting, you owe it to yourself and everyone throwing an interview your way to show why medicine is for you and why you have earned the privilege to be among its practitioners.

2. You'll soon realize that you could only wish you could use the same standards for "choosing" a medical school as you did for college. "Screw them for not liking my answer"...sorry, I actually LOL'd at this response, considering that there are about 1000 other people that you will be up against to gain entrance to a class about 15% the size of the interview pool (should you be privileged enough to get an interview).

No one said the interview committee was looking for a mind-blowing, enlightening answer for entering medicine; however, "I wanna help people" and nothing more is not going to cut it.

Last edited:

Love the analogy. :)

Medical schools don't "look down" on applicants who say they want to "help people"; however, you must realize that that response, at face value, does not really demonstrate a large degree of insight or thought you have given to entering the profession. As others have stated, there are many professions that exist to serve or help others outside of the medical field. Obviously, we cannot tell you what your motivations are for wanting to enter medicine or speak for all doctors as to why they chose their careers, but demonstrating a significant insight as to why medicine stands out for you among other noble and humble professions is hardly an unreasonable expectation of an admissions committee.

All right, I might as well just come out and say it now:

1. "I want to help people," while it may be true, is a superficial answer, and given that there is hardly a dearth of applicants just itching to outshine you in an interview setting, you owe it to yourself and everyone throwing an interview your way to show why medicine is for you and why you have earned the privilege to be among its practitioners.

2. You'll soon realize that you could only wish you could use the same standards for "choosing" a medical school as you did for college. "Screw them for not liking my answer"...sorry, I actually LOL'd at this response, considering that there are about 1000 other people that you will be up against to gain entrance to a class about 15% the size of the interview pool (should you be privileged enough to get an interview).

No one said the interview committee was looking for a mind-blowing, enlightening answer for entering medicine; however, "I wanna help people" and nothing more is not going to cut it.

Just to make it clear, I never said that I would give that as an answer. I was just making a point. And my point is that honesty and sincerity is much better than a high blown *fake* response. Some people truly want to help people---by healing, of course---and a career in medicine would be the most logical and fulfilling career to do this.

Seriously, what kind of answer do you expect to hear? "I want to be a doctor because I saw my mom dying from severe lung cancer and I saw how well the doctors treated her; ever since then, I've always wanted to become one of those doctors." IMHO, this answer is very "thought out, and rather cliche." I'm pretty sure committees would be much more impressed if someone came straight out and said, "I like digging in bodies," or "It's a cool job, who wouldn't want to be a doctor?"

And I understand that there are tons of other people applying for a spot in that medical school; however, I won't sacrifice giving an honest answer for a spot in THAT medical school. Some may call me crazy, but I really don't care. I live by my own philosophy, and so far in life, it has made me into the happy, nonchalant, non-stressed person I am today. There has to be a school somewhere that would accept my honest answer. (Again, not saying that I would give the "because I like helping people" answer.)

Just to make it clear, I never said that I would give that as an answer. I was just making a point. And my point is that honesty and sincerity is much better than a high blown *fake* response.

Apparently you missed the part where I said your response didn't have to be mind-blowing in order to demonstrate insight. I'm just saying that a career like medicine demands more than a superficial answer that EVERYONE WHO APPLIES would give to an admissions committee. You seem to underestimate the ability of an admissions committee to "weed out" applicants who give overblown responses to such questions.

Also, being able to demonstrate insight and sincerity separates you from those who go into medicine for reasons hardly conducive to the practice of medicine, and giving an obvious answer isn't going to show why you fit the bill for the type of person that makes for a successful medical school candidate. No one's asking you to compromise your integrity in order to gain acceptance into a medical school or asking you to give untrue answers in order to impress an admissions committee; I'm just trying to get you to expand your paradigm and imagine why an admissions committee would ask such questions to begin with.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently you missed the part where I said your response didn't have to be mind-blowing in order to demonstrate insight. I'm just saying that a career like medicine demands more than a superficial answer that EVERYONE WHO APPLIES would give to an admissions committee. You seem to underestimate the ability of an admissions committee to "weed out" applicants who give overblown responses to such questions.

Also, being able to demonstrate insight and sincerity separates you from those who go into medicine for reasons hardly conducive to the practice of medicine, and giving an obvious answer isn't going to show why you fit the bill for the type of person that makes for a successful medical school candidate. No one's asking you to compromise your integrity in order to gain acceptance into a medical school or asking you to give untrue answers in order to impress an admissions committee; I'm just trying to get you to expand your paradigm and imagine why an admissions committee would ask such questions to begin with.

Oh, okay. I understand what you're saying. I got a little fired up there. :oops: Thanks for the advice. I guess it is best to avoid such generic answers if you REALLY do want to be a doctor. :)

And from looking at your status, I'm assuming your in medical school. How is it?

i want to be a doctor because i'm overly ambitious

Biochem sounds so SCARY!! How difficult is it?
Biochem isn't so bad. I enjoyed it because it applied bio, gen chem, and organic chem concepts. It was interesting seeing how some of those concepts are applicable in our human physiology and it made it much easier to study for. That's why I hated general and organic chemistry so much: I couldn't see any application for those classes. Biochemistry puts the pieces together. :)

Biochem isn't so bad. I enjoyed it because it applied bio, gen chem, and organic chem concepts. It was interesting seeing how some of those concepts are applicable in our human physiology and it made it much easier to study for. That's why I hated general and organic chemistry so much: I couldn't see any application for those classes. Biochemistry puts the pieces together. :)

Cool. I might look into that major, then.

What do you want to go in to in med school? or just seeing whats out there?

Biochem isn't so bad. I enjoyed it because it applied bio, gen chem, and organic chem concepts. It was interesting seeing how some of those concepts are applicable in our human physiology and it made it much easier to study for.

Ditto...that's pretty much exactly why I chose biochemistry instead of biology or straight chemistry.

What do you want to go in to in med school? or just seeing whats out there?

You don't really "go into" or "major" in anything in medical school; everyone pretty much takes the same exact classes for the first two years, with a smattering of electives thrown in to suit your interests. Third and fourth year allow you to rotate around difference medical specialties, which gives more of an opportunity for medical students to get an idea of specialties they may be suited for/like.

You don't really "go into" or "major" in anything in medical school; everyone pretty much takes the same exact classes for the first two years, with a smattering of electives thrown in to suit your interests. Third and fourth year allow you to rotate around difference medical specialties, which gives more of an opportunity for medical students to get an idea of specialties they may be suited for/like.
So what exactly are you interested in? (as in for your third and fourth year rotations, what do you think will suit you best?) or do you not have any speciality in mind? (Radiology, peds, etc.)

So what exactly are you interested in? (as in for your third and fourth year rotations, what do you think will suit you best?) or do you not have any speciality in mind? (Radiology, peds, etc.)

I'm more interested in internal medicine than performing surgery, but it's hard to say without actually getting into the clinical setting and seeing what I like/what I'm good at. Until then, I'm keeping my mind open to new experiences.

Chicks, money, power, and chicks.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3zmgOfMkc[/YOUTUBE]

I would love to do biochem, but it's not a major at any of the schools I really like...

*sigh*

I think I'm going to settle with a Biology major and a Chem minor instead.

Medicine for me has always been there my mom is an RN and my dad is a vitreo-retinal surgeon. I didn't really decide on medicine until I started reading up for a Model UN Confrence, where I was on the WHO and the topic was HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria and Hepatitis. I started reading and fell in love with infectious disease. The other event for me was going on my first consult with my father to see a patient who was in horrific shape in the MICU. After that I knew I wanted to go into medicine. I started shadowing in junior year. This year I was accepted to the 8 year BS/DO at NSU-COM :) and I knew that this was perfect for me. The critical thing for me is in medicine there is an ability to use your mind and to be intellectually stimulated and that was the key.

"why do you want to be a doctor"

because pimpin is hard brotha

I'm not really a typical premed, because I'm not hoping to go into medicine to help people and save lives. Yes, helping people and saving lives may be the result of my work, and that'll make me feel good inside, but going into medicine with that as your main reason seems to be setting yourself up for disappointment; it would be to me, anyway.

I find microbiology very fascinating. From the microbiology I've experienced so far, I feel like I have an innate talent with it. It clicks for me; more than that, it amazes me how every process is so articulate. Chemistry is another area where I seem to thrive, although I must admit it is less intriguing. I do enjoy learning about the chemistry of biology, so perhaps biochem would be more my type.

As a physician, you are constantly learning. I'm hoping to go into anesthesiology. Anesthesiology requires a pretty good understanding of physiology and pharmacology, as well as employing the use of surgical technique. There is always room to improve in all areas, always room to learn, always room to become more efficient.

As you'll notice, anesthesiology doesn't have a whole lot of patient interaction. Meet the patient, discuss what anesthetic they want to have used, assuage any worries or anxieties they may have, and start working. Make sure that they have a happy post-op, and your job is done for the most part.

I work well under stress and pressure; when it comes to being under pressure, I'm pretty much immune to panic. The anesthesiologist must be vigilant, always ready to deal with a major unforeseen complication (or if the anesthesiologist is good, he knows it may happen), always ready to act under pressure. While I'm not absolutely certain I can function perfectly under that kind of pressure, I would say my past experiences with stressful situations lend credence to my composure.

Anesthesiologists don't get too much attention, compared to surgeons or what not. That's fine for me, because I'm someone who prefers to remain in the background doing my thing. I don't want to be in the spotlight, getting all of the attention. I like to be relatively left alone. Coupling with this, from all I've read and seen, most anesthesia teams are some of the coolest, laid-back people in the hospital.

In anesthesiology, you get instant gratification. Unlike surgery or medicine where you may have to wait weeks to get results, the anesthesiologist is almost instantly rewarded with the fruits of his academic labor. This is kind of a cliché answer, but in any case, I think it holds true.

Anesthesiologists have a relatively light workload (in terms of hrs. worked) compared to surgeons and some other specialties. They also get paid well. This is conducive to having and supporting a family life, which is an integral part of my future. While I will still have call, I feel it is one of the less taxing specialties with regards to time spent on the job.

Anesthesiology is everything I could ever want in a job, something I would do for 30-40 years of my life. Everything about it fits me and my interests to a T. I have looked at all sorts of engineering, teaching, other fields of scientific research, economics/business etc., and nothing seems as good a fit as anesthesiology. I guess I'll see when I get there, but right now it seems a perfect mesh.

To everyone else, while I'm not trying to say your reasons aren't legitimate, I'd like to bring up some ideas to think about.

Most of the responses seem to be permeated with wanting to help people, and generally charitable reasons. While that's all good, I think you should lend more thought to what you're going to be doing for the rest of your life. As I said in my opening paragraph, I think going into medicine blindly to "help people" is at best naive, and I sincerely hope you are paying more consideration to what the job actually entails, as you may be in for a major disappointment.

"Helping people" may be the result of your labor, but "helping people" is not what the labor entails. The labor is very rigorous, oftentimes unforgiving, and many times the patient ungrateful, or worse, defiant. Remember that you are going to be seeing other humans when they are often at their worst: when they are sick and miserable. It shouldn't come as a surprise that a lot of your patients will not be the most pleasant people you've worked with. Additionally, you will have many patients you may not be able to help.

It may seem selfish to think that in order to be made happy from charity you must be repaid with gratitude. Regardless of how corrupt that may sound, it is true in most cases. Would you want to give away your life helping people that only spit on you in return? At first you may keep up the air of nobility and tell yourself that you are doing good and right, but eventually you will come to the realization that perhaps you placed too little weight on your own happiness.

While medicine isn't exactly akin to that given scenario, it may be more similar than you like to think. In this great race to be a physician to help people, don't forget your own happiness; nobody else out there is going to look out for it, only you.

Just some things to think about.

Last edited:
My ex girlfriend once said "you can't just decide to go to med school, people prepare for that their whole lives." So i'm doing it to spite her.

this is the best thing i have ever heard. me and my ex were talking and i mentioned i wanted to be a surgeon. she laughed and said "you cant be a surgeon."

needless to say once i become a doctor, surgeon or not i get to slap her with my degree.

and i have two reasons as to why i want to be a doctor and they are both from members in my family.

The First is my Grandfather on my moms side, he was diagnosed with Bone cancer, jaw cancer and one other kind of cancer that im not too sure of so i dont wanna try to guess. He died last december in the most pain i have ever seen a human being go through in my life and not only did i never get to say goodbye, but he also died thinking that for the rest of my life i would be worthless. i mean i had dropped out of highschool and was doing nothing with my life so i guess i cant blame him.

The other person happens to also be my grandfather just on my dads side. When i was about 14 or 15 he was diagnosed with alzhiemers Disease. ever since then he has slowly been losing touch with reality. i havent seen him since i was young just because i cant afford to go cross country i mean its just not possible at this point in my life. I hope nobody ever has to experience this terrible disease because it is truely one of the worst things a person can go through.

I guess those are the reasons i want to become a doctor just so i can try to help people like my grandfathers. I also want to prove to my first grandpa that i wont just be another f*** up that wastes his natural talent.

also as for type of medicine i haven't really decided yet, i still have alot of time before i have to make my decision but im leaning toward either some kind of Surgery, Oncology, Internal medicine or something of the sort

thanks for listening lol

To all that have posted: whether you have written a simple answer or a story, your answers are unique. I like them.

To those who say "I want to help people" are not the right reasons alone, I agree. I've talked to around 10 people who say they want to be psychologists or psychiatrists because they "want to help people". They don't care about how the mind or brain works, our about the medications used, or what schizophrenia is, they just want to work one on one helping people. It is fantastic, but I just hope a interest in the methods of how you help them will come.

I think I have the interest. As much as I think a High School student could have, and I am interested in improving people's lives. Its a combination between those two. I'd like to find out really how much I am interested in it, or how much interest I think I could generate given more maturity from age.