Why...Medicine?

I want to be a doctor because I consider it the most admirable career out there. There aren't too many jobs in which after college you have 4 years of school and then 3 years of residency, often more than that. There aren't too many jobs with 80 hour workweeks in the midst of the prime of your life, when you could be like many other young adults, going out and partying. I want to be a doctor because I love House and I will admit, I like money. I work hard in school, and therefore I'm fairly smart. Maybe I'm not as skilled athletically or go out every single night, but I can actually use my brain to get me far in life, while helping others along the way. Also, it will be an interesting challenge that hopefully I can meet. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go into medicine because of House, or the 'challenge'.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is such a joke.

You want to go into medicine because you like house...?

WTF

Hate to break it to you, but what you see on House is virtually nothing like anything you will encounter in medicine.
So what?

I'm a doctor and I love House. He's the spitting image of my pathology instructor.

So what?

I'm a doctor and I love House. He's the spitting image of my pathology instructor.

I don't recall saying you couldn't enjoy House; I was implying that it's a tad ridiculous for a TV show to be a primary motivating factor in entering a career that bears little resemblance to the show's plots.

never mind you said A not the. Still, who cares why people go into whatever career they choose? It doesn't really matter as long as they enjoy it and are good at it.

I don't recall saying you couldn't enjoy House; I was implying that it's a tad ridiculous for a TV show to be a primary motivating factor in entering a career that bears little resemblance to the show's plots.

Still, who cares why people go into whatever career they choose?

Adcom interviewer: So, tell me why you want to go into medicine.

You: Well, I really like how House gets to be a total bad*** by getting away with popping Vicodin by the handful all while snatching patients back from the brink because of my own doing...

Interviewer: ...:wow::eyebrow::eek:

See where I'm going with this?

'Cuz everything else is just freakin' boring as all hell.

I see where you're going with it but he/she stated quite clearly that House isn't the only reason for the interest in the MD. Although I found it a silly reason, I highly doubt it will be something he/she will discuss in an interview. I probably wouldn't say I want to be a psychologist because I like the show Obsessed or BD Wong on Law and Order SVU, but if I did, how does it really affect anyone on this board? You know?

You: Well, I really like how House gets to be a total bad*** by getting away with popping Vicodin by the handful all while snatching patients back from the brink because of my own doing...

haha i was intending that to be a joke...i love house but i dont want to be a doctor because of him! i'm interested in lots of medical shows, but i know thats what they are...TV SHOWS. don't worry...i'm in ap's and have above a 4.0 and love science. i'm not aiming to be a doctor because of house. i'm just interested in medicine. haha sorry if that got anybody upset...:laugh:

and about not going into it because of a challenge...i probably should have stated that differently. personally, i believe that going into medicine would be going into a career that is constantly a learning process...i don't want to be stuck in a job that doesn't require any intelligence at all. what's wrong with being interested in a job because it will engage you? i'm not the type for a 9-5 nothing but working at the desk sort of job.

whew. haha. hopefully people get where im coming from now :)

If that is what your answer would be, then sure... you deserve to get your rear handed to you. But my personal opinion, I think making snap judgments on others based upon superficial observations/comments will land you in far worse shape during an interview.

For me, the reason why I enjoy House (outside of the fact that he reminds me of my quirky professor)... they discuss interesting diseases that actually come up on boards. They don't always get the pathophysiology right, but its neat to watch stuff you only read about being acted out in front of your eyes.

There is nothing wrong with having regular hobbies. I find it somewhat refreshing. I remember when I was flying off for a med school interview, and in the seat next to me was this young gastroenterologist flipping through Star Magazine. We ended up chatting about her fascination with Lindsay Lohan and particularly her weight loss. :rolleyes:

House is too dramatic for me.

I want to be Dr. Cox. No other reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha! i like scrubs too. yes...i send you all sincere apologies for getting us off topic. feel free to get back on if you would like ;)

But my personal opinion, I think making snap judgments on others based upon superficial observations/comments will land you in far worse shape during an interview.

I agree with you; however, I hardly think what I had to say qualified as a "snap judgment" given what the poster had actually said. Implying that because one's status says "pre-medical" that they must not have been through the app cycle yet and never had an interview (or been accepted anywhere) would, IMO, qualify as a "snap judgment."

However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the above was a general statement and not directed at anyone in particular. Believe me, I hoped the guy was just joking when he said he wanted to be a doctor because of House, and he/she proved what I hoped.

PS House is one of my favorite shows; I hope you don't think that just because it's largely fictional (like CSI) doesn't mean I don't or can't enjoy it.

I want to be a socialite because I like Gossip Girl....

I believe were getting off topic here....

My ex girlfriend once said "you can't just decide to go to med school, people prepare for that their whole lives." So i'm doing it to spite her.

Exactly why I'm going into medicine. :D My freaking ex-girlfriend said almost the exact same thing.

But in all seriousness, I got involved in that volunteer First Aid Squad and absolutely loved what we did. I then took a little detour into research, when I went over to the UK and worked for the Medical Research Council, and really enjoyed myself, but decided that I was really missing something. With the Senate internship, I was doing mostly constituent services, so I dealt with a lot of people and paperwork, but very little with science, which I also missed. It all kept coming back to medicine, so that's what I'm 100% sure I want to study.

-MadMedic101

Even though this was a few months ago, I bring it back to life. I never really told my story of why I wanted to go into medicine. I was a premie when I was born. Weighting 1lb 14 ozs, 3 months early. I guess I've always thought that I should give back. See miracles just like me. Not sure if I will take the Neonatology route, but thats what I'm striving for. :)

I've wanted to go into some sort of medicine ever since I read Mountains beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. It is perhaps the most inspiring book I have ever read-that is saying some thing since I was the top reader back in the day. Everyone should read this book about Dr. Farmer, the Partners in Health Founder.

Even though this was a few months ago, I bring it back to life. I never really told my story of why I wanted to go into medicine. I was a premie when I was born. Weighting 1lb 14 ozs, 3 months early. I guess I've always thought that I should give back. See miracles just like me. Not sure if I will take the Neonatology route, but thats what I'm striving for. :)

Hey! I was born a premie too. I was born 2 months early.

I was a heart patient and underwent surgery as a child.