Why MSTPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pagemmapants

Unknown Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm toying with the idea of applying to a couple of MSTP programs. My question to all of you that ARE applying to them, is (apart from the tuition break) what's your motivation to do so? Is it because you're a smartypants and want more letters after your name, or is (as I very much hope) more to it? Along with that, how is it that you know you can realistically commit to 7-8 years in one place? I have a hard time choosing what I want for dinner, let alone where I'm going to spend the next 8 years of my life. . . 4 I can do. 8 is tougher. So yeah - Why? What do you plan to do with it? and How can you make such a commitment?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the Combined Degree Forum, there's a questionnaire-type thread where current students talk about their motivations, etc.

Basically, apply to MD/PhD programs if you can be fairly certain that you want to commit your life to a research career (splitting your time between practicing and a lab). Not just 7-8 years.

As for committing to a place, I never left Houston, so I guess I'm not the person to comment on that...

Personally, I couldn't see myself not doing research, but I also want to be able to directly treat patients. That's why I'm taking the plunge. Hopefully someday I'll have my auditory perception lab and then practice as an ENT part of the time....yes I'm daydreaming...but that's the sort of career many of us have in mind.

seilienne said:
How can you make such a commitment?

I just don't think about it!

3 years really isn't all that much, and having the PhD leaves your future much more open. If you enjoy research and learning then I think it's a great way to go. I would have tried to do it had I had better research experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last time around because I really enjoy doing research and I wanted to kind of work inbetween the lab and clinic. I'm not a smarty pants, by any means but I can write a mean lab report and I'm good at the bench. But after talking to a bunch of MD/PhD people, I've found out a bunch of things that turned me off of the idea:

-you're not viewed as real MD by doctors and you're not viewed as a real PhD by PhD's...so it's tougher to get respect
-there's no real way to split time between the lab and clinic...one always wins out and it's usually research.
-In research, you have to basically re-apply for grant funding (your salary and research money) every 3 years or so. So assume that you dont get funded because el presidente only increased the NIH funding by 1%, essentially making funding for new researchers non-existent. You'd be in financial limbo with a family to support...not my cup of tea
-8 years was a big turn off, especially when that could grow to 10 if you get in with a tough advisor
-and you can do research as an MD to the same level as a MD/PhD in 4 years less

I'm not trying to dissuade you, just share what i've learned...and if that doesnt do it, you also interview with 6 people at most schools, which is kind of scary in itself, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Best of luck and PM me if you want to talk more about it
~LJD

I personally don't find these reasons to be very compelling.

1) "you're not viewed as real MD by doctors and you're not viewed as a real PhD by PhD's...so it's tougher to get respect"
By that reasoning, then wouldn't an MD-only researcher get even less "respect" from their PhD counterparts?

2) "there's no real way to split time between the lab and clinic...one always wins out and it's usually research."
The split generally isn't 50-50, but even if you're only seeing patients once a week, that doesn't necessarily decrease the quality of your patient care.

3) "In research, you have to basically re-apply for grant funding (your salary and research money) every 3 years or so."
Right, this would be the case with anyone pursuing a research career, regardless of degree choice. Presumably, anyone deciding between being MD/PhD or MD-only (with research fellowship) is planning on going into a research career.

4) "8 years was a big turn off, especially when that could grow to 10 if you get in with a tough advisor"
7-8 years is average at my school..~3 years extra doesn't make a huge difference. Especially if the MD-only person decides to do a research fellowship later, that would be a couple years anyways.

5) "and you can do research as an MD to the same level as a MD/PhD in 4 years less"
A research fellowship still takes time. You'd really only save about a year.

6) "you also interview with 6 people at most schools, which is kind of scary in itself, but you get used to it pretty quickly"
Sure, you interview with anywhere from 5-10 people, but then they generally pay for airfare, hotel, transportation, and meals at very nice restaurants. I actually thought the interviews were a big perk of applying MD/PhD!

OddNath said:
A research fellowship still takes time. You'd really only save about a year.

Except for the fact that many MD/PhDs will wind up doing this too.

i wrote a long ass reply to this but it somehow crashed.

oh well, whatever.