Why never vicoprofen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npage148

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For real? More effective, no hepatic toxicity, more dosing flexibility (take 1 to 4 tabs safely). Did it just lose a marketing battle like lisinopril vs enalapril?

Members don't see this ad.

For real? More effective, no hepatic toxicity, more dosing flexibility (take 1 to 4 tabs safely). Did it just lose a marketing battle like lisinopril vs enalapril?

Well, narcs are already pretty GI-irritating. Adding an NSAID probably doesn't help the situation. But I agree that I would still imagine more of it being used more...probably a bit of a marketing thing.

Members don't see this ad :)

We see it infrequently. Most patients who have liver issues are written oxycodone or plain hydrocodone (which I do think is not even available anymore, but they keep writing for it!).

Probably because IBU 200mg doesn't have much anti-inflammatory effect so people think it's not effective. Must take more tabs but that also mean more hydrocodone.

I would make a tab with IBU 600mg

Seems like a lot of older patients would benefit more from the APAP formulation since there is less GI irritation, is probably safer in patients with OA associated pain, less impact on GFR, and relatively speaking... Fewer interactions. The FDA limiting the APAP content to 325 mg or less will help with hepatotoxicity, too. Physicians like to go from APAP to tramadol it would seem, too... Or only try one NSAID rather than trying a few. So idk I'm sure it could have a place in therapy but I don't normally see Rx strength ibuprofen scripts with Vicodin/norco scripts either.

I dispense vicoprofen for one of my pts on workers comp. Not many docs even knows it exists.

I dispense vicoprofen for one of my pts on workers comp. Not many docs even knows it exists.

I remember one customer who was on it long-term, but most of the RXs I've seen were from dentists.

First:

There are no formulations of "Pure" Hydrocodone. You can get the Hycodan generic which contains subtherpeutic amounts of an antimuscarinic to prevent IV abuse. It's really the reason there is APAP in formulations.

Secondly, to answer the OP, it's because the amount of Ibuprofen is too low to be meaningful. Remember, the OTC dose is 400mg. So what good does the 200mg do? They should either make it 7.5/400 or 5/200.

First:

There are no formulations of "Pure" Hydrocodone. You can get the Hycodan generic which contains subtherpeutic amounts of an antimuscarinic to prevent IV abuse. It's really the reason there is APAP in formulations.

Secondly, to answer the OP, it's because the amount of Ibuprofen is too low to be meaningful. Remember, the OTC dose is 400mg. So what good does the 200mg do? They should either make it 7.5/400 or 5/200.

Well, Percocet is 5/325, also with a low dose of APAP. 325mg of APAP really isn't very effective either.

Well, Percocet is 5/325, also with a low dose of APAP. 325mg of APAP really isn't very effective either.

I agree, the APAP is worthless unless you double up to two tablets except for the fact that the APAP keeps you from injecting it IV.

Apap is there to prevent you from overdosing on it and to limit the number of doses per day.

First:

OTC dose is 200. :confused:

Sent from my LG-MS910 using SDN Mobile