why not osteopathic ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for all you pre-allo's out there (especially if you have average numbers) why did you not apply to DO schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

for all you pre-allo's out there (especially if you have average numbers) why did you not apply to DO schools ?

It just bugs me that they have a reputation of being easier and that the average person I talk to has no idea what a DO is. I know DO's superior to MDs and MDs superior to DO's etc, but theres always this kind of reputation that goes along with being a DO. I'd go DO if I couldn't get into MD after 2 yrs..but I'd prefer to avoid all the stereotypes that come with the DO degree. Personally I know they can be just as good as MD's..but many patients and health care workers will not see it this way sadly.

Personally, I didn't really know much about the "DO" route and without sufficient knowledge, didn't consider it as an option. By the time I realized that there is virtually no difference between the two in training (except for the OMM) and practice, I had already committed to applying MD only. I agree with the above poster (Alaska21) that there is a stereotype that comes with the DO title, but your education, training, and reputation are what you make of it. In hindsight, I would've added DO schools to my list as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
because it is easier to be a real doctor (in terms of getting the residency you want)

Agreed.

It just bugs me that they have a reputation of being easier and that the average person I talk to has no idea what a DO is. I know DO's superior to MDs and MDs superior to DO's etc, but theres always this kind of reputation that goes along with being a DO. I'd go DO if I couldn't get into MD after 2 yrs..but I'd prefer to avoid all the stereotypes that come with the DO degree. Personally I know they can be just as good as MD's..but many patients and health care workers will not see it this way sadly.

Most patients that end up seeing a DO won't even know the difference. Hell, sometimes they don't know the difference between a med student and an actual physician.

I think DOs are respected in the professional environment. However, I also think it's inevitable that they're going to receive some flak as well because regardless of how we interpret it, it is easier to get into DO schools than MD.

How about this one - AACOMAS verifies foreign grades, AMCAS does not.

If I can have a Lamborghini, why would I want a Hyundai?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that applying DO costs more than MD. Also, you can not hold multiple acceptances to DO schools, while you can with MD schools.

Honestly, I just don't feel like explaining myself for the rest of my life.

I don't agree with things like cranial. If they stopped pretending things like that would work, I'd apply without a problem. As it is, I'd probably rather go overseas than do DO just for that reason. I don't want to pretend I believe in something I don't just to get an education.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that applying DO costs more than MD. Also, you can not hold multiple acceptances to DO schools, while you can with MD schools.
what do you mean you cant hold multiple DO acceptances? I currently hold 2.

because it is easier to be a real doctor (in terms of getting the residency you want)

you are kidding, right?

That "reputation" is rampant on SDN, but pretty much nowhere else. You first say that many peope dont konw what a DO is, then you say that many people think they are inferior to MDs. That doesnt make sense.

How do you konw health care workers look at DOs as inferior? In the real word, once you are out practicing medicine..........NO ONE CARES.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oohhhh yes finally! In before this thread explodes :thumbup:

Because DO school is only two years and you can only practice in Arkansas and Florida. Well thats at least what the girl in my microbiology class told me.

does anybody know where this information comes from ?

I have this information from a friend of mine who applied DO this cycle, as well as from my adviser. Also, the fee after getting accepted is not refundable, while MD fees are.

what do you mean you cant hold multiple DO acceptances? I currently hold 2.

From what I have heard, you can not hold multiple acceptances at DO schools. Again, this comes from people I know applying to DO school who were forced to choose between two schools that they got accepted to. According to them, you have a 2 week grace period to decide between your acceptances.

haha...it is funny how little some people know about DO's....Which up until last year included myself.

I personally applied to both because I had average stats. I already have a DO acceptance and to be honest it takes a lot of the stress out of the process because now I know I will be going to medical school regardless. To address the statements about what people in the healthcare system think about DO's I will say one thing. It is up to YOU to prove how valuable you can be as a physician...so for example if you work your butt off in Osteopathic Medical school and land an ultra-competitive residency...I highly doubt anybody is going to look down upon lets say a Neurosurgeon that is a DO. Come on guys use common sense here...I am not bashing anybody that only applies to MD...but I am saying that if you decided you wanted to be a doctor no matter what obstacles you have to overcome...having the initials M.D. after your name shouldn't mean that much to you...it should be the Dr. in front of your name...and even more importantly than that...how much help you can offer your patients.

I have this information from a friend of mine who applied DO this cycle, as well as from my adviser. Also, the fee after getting accepted is not refundable, while MD fees are.

From what I have heard, you can not hold multiple acceptances at DO schools. Again, this comes from people I know applying to DO school who were forced to choose between two schools that they got accepted to. According to them, you have a 2 week grace period to decide between your acceptances.

;ASFJ;ASJF A;SJF;ASFJ;ASFJSAA;SDJF A;KJF (frustation)......... Do some of your own research. Advisors, in general, suck ass. They have no idea what they are talking about. The things you have said are 100% false. If you were accepted to every single DO school, you could hold an acceptance at every single one, you would just have to be willing to pay the deposit for every single school. But who wants to do that, its a waste of money. Secondly, a lot of the schools have non-refundable deposits, but that is not the case for all. Again, do your own research.

it comes from the magical land of IMAGINATION

This is a pre-emptive reminder to remain civil and constructive. MD/DO arguments have a tendency to get heated quickly and this thread will be closed should it turn into an insult fest.

For many reasons. I am interested in reasearch, I am uninterested in OMM, I'd rather spend time doing things I enjoy/studying rather than learning OMM, reputation/familiarity issues, I just want to go to the best school I can get into, I like to be around students with similar academic backgrounds, I want to have the option of going into a competitive residency, I've worked very hard so I don't want to spend the rest of my life explaining my degree to people, because of the for-profit DO schools, etc.

Last edited:
Because DO school is only two years and you can only practice in Arkansas and Florida. Well thats at least what the girl in my microbiology class told me.

Was that a bad joke?

I think it doesn't matter. Medical school is medical school and a doctor is a doctor. I mean I can see how it can get annoying, for example a DO i shadowed had tons of awards on his wall but a lot of the time they wrote MD next to his name instead of DO. But who cares, if you can practice medicine who cares? Some people do, I don't...

;ASFJ;ASJF A;SJF;ASFJ;ASFJSAA;SDJF A;KJF (frustation)......... Do some of your own research. Advisors, in general, suck ass. They have no idea what they are talking about. The things you have said are 100% false. If you were accepted to every single DO school, you could hold an acceptance at every single one, you would just have to be willing to pay the deposit for every single school. But who wants to do that, its a waste of money. Secondly, a lot of the schools have non-refundable deposits, but that is not the case for all. Again, do your own research.

it comes from the magical land of IMAGINATION

Ok. Thanks for pointing that out. I did not do my own research because I did not apply DO, and therefore have to rely on what others have said. However, my point does still stand that DO is more expensive to apply to, and now it seems more expensive to get accepted to as well if you can not get your money back.

there's a lot of silly speculation going on here. osteopathic med school is four years, just like allopathic med school. it goes over the same stuff that allo med schools do, except that the body is viewed in a more holistic sense. the downside to this is that specialized residency and fellowship positions often go to allos, which is why i'm going allopathic (aside from money). the way i see it, you can do more with an MD.

In all honesty it is because I harbor a prejudice against DOs because the schools are easier to attend prereq wise. Flame away, but at least I am honest. None of my friends considered DO an option either when they were spending many frantic nights studying in an effort to go from 3.3 in class to 3.7 and 4.0 just so they could maintain a gpa suitable for an MD program.

Was that a bad joke?

yes it was a joke. It was supposed to be a ridiculous statement just because of some of the ridiculous things that people believe regarding DOs.

Ok. Thanks for pointing that out. I did not do my own research because I did not apply DO, and therefore have to rely on what others have said. However, my point does still stand that DO is more expensive to apply to, and now it seems more expensive to get accepted to as well if you can not get your money back.

I didnt notice any significant difference in price. I applied to both. And its not more expensive to get accepted. You dont have to put down deposits to 15 schools just as you dont need to hold on to 15 acceptances. The one thing I will say that is lame is that many people are forced to make decisions before financial aid packages are received). For a lot of people, that may be a huge aspect in the decision factor so it is kinda lame that if you get accepted in the early part of the cycle, you wont have that factor to consider.

there's a lot of silly speculation going on here. osteopathic med school is four years, just like allopathic med school. it goes over the same stuff that allo med schools do, except that the body is viewed in a more holistic sense. the downside to this is that specialized residency and fellowship positions often go to allos, which is why i'm going allopathic (aside from money). the way i see it, you can do more with an MD.

the body isnt viewed more or less holistically. DOs have their own residencies. what can an MD do that a DO can not?

Because when I bring up the DO to people not in the medical community they usually haven't heard of it and eventually respond with something like "well I want to see an MD."

Please take this with a grain of salt because im no expert, but IMO people seem to lean toward MD mainly b/c it's what they know. People fear what they don't understand and many people don't take to time to research/understand DO as evidenced by some of the replies in this thread. Im still in the process of deciding which route I want to take, but I will say that DO will not be my 1st option unless my grades dictate it's my only option. I feel DO’s are just as qualified as MD’s after all training is rendered, it’s just a personal decision. My podiatrist in a DO and his practice does amazingly well and he is an excellent physician. I here there is argument on the DO front to have the powers that be change the degree designation to MD or DOMD or something similar ( I just ran across this info yesterday). I think they may help some, but I don’t really think in the REAL WORLD that DO’s are cast down as much as many here make it seem. Again, take this with a grain of salt, im just a Comp Science major :slap:

so do the two cost around the same?
For the most part, I think so. Midwestern Universities costs are:
CCOM$40,122$44,643 out of state
Whch seems on par with what I have been seeing of a lot of MD programs. Maybe a tad more.

For the most part, I think so. Midwestern Universities costs are:
CCOM$40,122$44,643 out of state
Whch seems on par with what I have been seeing of a lot of MD programs. Maybe a tad more.
nope.

most do schools are private, so more expensive than if you're instate at a public school (it can be half as much.) private md schools are another suject altogether.

as to the difference, at this point it's mostly because do =/= md. when do first started, it was a different philosophy, especially wrt to omm, etc. now, most people go for do b/c they can't get into md, or b/c they like the idea of being more "holistic" even if they aren't really

so do the two cost around the same?

I think in general the DOs are more expensive and i think it might be becacuse a lot of the DO schools are private, so you dont get all of those state schools that give IS students cheap tuition. If you compare private MD schools with private DO schools, theres not much of a difference and both are pretty expensive.

In New York:

AECOM: $59,480
Columbia P/S: $64,290
NY College of Osteopathic Med: ~$60,000
TouroCOM: ~$60,000

In Florida (OOS)

FSU: ~$84,000
University of Miami: ~$63,000
Nova SouthEastern Osteopathic: ~$63,000
Lake Erie COM Bradenton: ~$54,000

As you can see from these 2 states, the Cost of Attendance to either an MD or a DO program are VERY, VERY comparable.

And as for people who think that getting into a DO program is easy, I can assure you that it is not. And while there are some programs that are "easier" to get into than others, the 1st 2 years will surely weed out those people that simply barely got in.

In addition, you must all realize that DOs and MDs work in the same hospitals and in the same environments together and if you harbor any sort of problems with DOs being doctors then change that attitude because this is far from the case. The education, except for the OMM, is THE SAME. The human body is not constructed any differently because you are a DO versus an MD. The physiology does not change and neither does the pathology. OMM notwithstanding, the main difference is the philosophy. As DOs, we are looking to put the human body into a position in which is wants to heal itself be it with medication or with manipulation.

If you are interested in seeing what a DO is all about, www.osteopathic.org is a good place to start. Another would be to call a DO and shadow them and see if you can tell the difference for yourselves. You are all smart adults, do the smart thing and do not rely on other people to give you the information that you can get yourself.

In all honesty it is because I harbor a prejudice against DOs because the schools are easier to attend prereq wise. Flame away, but at least I am honest. None of my friends considered DO an option either when they were spending many frantic nights studying in an effort to go from 3.3 in class to 3.7 and 4.0 just so they could maintain a gpa suitable for an MD program.

I would suggest that you try to change your prejudice because as an MD you WILL be working with highly respected DOs in any field. You may be honest, but this way of thinking is a bit naive.

Do not think for one moment that being in a DO school is any easier or harder than an MD school. They are both comparable. If you disagree, I would suggest you spend the day at a DO school and make up your own mind.

Mind you, this is by no means any flame. But this type of thinking can certainly affect your relationship with your future peers and/or supervisors.

I believe that Vadd0 was talking about the ease of gaining admittance, not of graduating.

Last edited:
That "reputation" is rampant on SDN, but pretty much nowhere else. You first say that many peope dont konw what a DO is, then you say that many people think they are inferior to MDs. That doesnt make sense.

How do you konw health care workers look at DOs as inferior? In the real word, once you are out practicing medicine..........NO ONE CARES.

First off, I'll state that my personal opinion is that osteopathic education is essentially equal to allopathic education (minus OMM), and both will be able to practice medicine equally.

When you say "no one cares" in the real world, where are you getting this information, as a premed? I personally have no experience w/ osteopathic doctors in the health care arena. My mother however, a practicing physician, told me that from her experience, DOs are somewhat less regarded in the medical community. That isn't to say that she personally believes this, but this is what she's observed from her colleagues.

I'll now re-state that I believe the two are equal, and hope I don't get flamed. :oops:

The graduates deserve the respect because they take the USMLE after all. I do not like that they are not equally competative to get into.

I would suggest that you try to change your prejudice because as an MD you WILL be working with highly respected DOs in any field.

I wonder why you think that? Depending on the area you live in, DOs may be few and far between. Further, if you're in private practice, there will be a limited number of physicians you actually interact with on a regular basis, and there's no reason to assume that they would be DOs. There are still many more MDs than DOs in this country, and I think it's pretty naive to assume that they're all over or that you "WILL" work with them.

I wonder why you think that? Depending on the area you live in, DOs may be few and far between. Further, if you're in private practice, there will be a limited number of physicians you actually interact with on a regular basis, and there's no reason to assume that they would be DOs. There are still many more MDs than DOs in this country, and I think it's pretty naive to assume that they're all over or that you "WILL" work with them.
'cause he's a bb do.

First off, I'll state that my personal opinion is that osteopathic education is essentially equal to allopathic education (minus OMM), and both will be able to practice medicine equally.

When you say "no one cares" in the real world, where are you getting this information, as a premed? I personally have no experience w/ osteopathic doctors in the health care arena. My mother however, a practicing physician, told me that from her experience, DOs are somewhat less regarded in the medical community. That isn't to say that she personally believes this, but this is what she's observed from her colleagues.

I'll now re-state that I believe the two are equal, and hope I don't get flamed. :oops:

Because of this sentence, your opinion on osteopathic physicians/medicine means absolutely nothing. Yes, I'm a pre med. But I have expereince working with DOs and MDs. I volunteered in a private practice with two orthopedic surgeons, one MD and one DO. They were equally as busy, the both saw patients, both did surgery. I spent time with both while they saw patients and not once did anyone ever bring up DO or MD. This is just one example. Everytime I interact with an MD i bring up the DO topic, mainy b/c of the crap you read on here and I have found that NO ONE CARES. The only drawback is if you have your mind set on one of the highly competitive MD residencices. Also keep in mind that DOs have their own residencies. Nothing is going to prevent you going into a certain specialty. And, as I have said before, when you are out in the real world, practicing medicine on real patients.......no one cares. I've done my best to sift through the BS and find out information on my own. This is more than you can say.

Last edited:

DO is so much harder... not only do you have to finish medical school, but you also have to learn more stuff on top of that (OMM techniques, the DO philosophy, etc...)

No thanks, i'm taking the easy way out, and will stick with the MD, and make my life a hundred times easier...

:D

you are kidding, right?

Believe it or not, I know people who tell me their parents or themselves wouldn't go to a DO. There are people out there like that albeit fewer and fewer and albeit dependent on where you are. But yes there are still people out there who are as such. I've seen this firsthand more outside of SDN then on SDN.

PS not saying they are inferior. Just that such people exist. My persian friend told me years ago that her parents said they would never go to a DO. So I've seen it in the past. My exroommate's attitudes about DOs are not all that better. A lot of ignorant people still out there.

I think the OP should make a thread in the DO section asking them "Why did they choose DO over MD", Id like to see the outcome.

I think the OP should make a thread in the DO section asking them "Why did they choose DO over MD", Id like to see the outcome.

Do a search. Its been asked 1000 times. And so has the question posed on this thread.

OMM, COMLEX, and Residencies. <-- 'nuff said :p

Believe it or not, I know people who tell me their parents or themselves wouldn't go to a DO. There are people out there like that albeit fewer and fewer and albeit dependent on where you are. But yes there are still people out there who are as such. I've seen this firsthand more outside of SDN then on SDN.

PS not saying they are inferior. Just that such people exist. My persian friend told me years ago that her parents said they would never go to a DO. So I've seen it in the past. My exroommate's attitudes about DOs are not all that better. A lot of ignorant people still out there.

Why are you calling them ignorant? Please explain. Are you saying you'd choose a DO over MD education? Simple yes or no question.

Why are you calling them ignorant? Please explain. Are you saying you'd choose a DO over MD education? Simple yes or no question.

you dont see the ignorance in someone refusing to see a physician because he/she has a DO degree? And your question is not going to have a simple yes or no answer for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.