Why our school? Secondary essay help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should these type of questions be answered? What needs to be said? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

How should these type of questions be answered? What needs to be said? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Basically, you want to tell them specifically what it is that you like about the school.

This essay has always seemed like license to just ramble. If there is something compelling about the school that you can pick out from the website, then jump on that. Otherwise, geography may be a consideration: "I've always wanted to do rural medicine, which is why I'm applying to the Cornhusker School of Medicine, etc."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I basically tell them why they are the greatest school in the world, and why I wish to go there (well, because they are the greatest school).

You gotta make it seem like you did some research on the school and have compelling reasons to go there. So sound legit. I wouldn't mention anything about rankings. Most people throw in stuff about how the school is good for research or primary care or whatever else. Pretty boring if you ask me. What you should do is aim to include things about the school that the adcoms themselves might not even be aware of. Think of the bonus points you'd get for that.

I always look at the websites "current students" section to see what sort of unique student organizations or student events the school offers. One school I'm applying to has a camp for incoming first-year students - it's basically a summer camp where you go biking, rock-climbing, etc. It sounds like a great team-building activity and it's really unique, so I'm definitely going to touch on it in the essay.

These are also a great opportunity to demonstrate why you'd be a good fit for the school. If the curriculum has a unique aspect that specifically fits your learning style, make sure to say so. I always try to finish each essay by saying how the unique opportunities at this school will serve me in medical school and throughout my career.

Good luck! :luck:

i look at the websites, and sort of spew back the things that are relevant to me.

One school I'm applying to has a camp for incoming first-year students - it's basically a summer camp where you go biking, rock-climbing, etc.

That sounds awesome! Which school is that?

This question was the bane of my existence until I took a look at the curriculum & student orgs. I'm sure you'll find at least one thing that intrigues you from each school and expand on it. Good luck!!! :)

On top of telling the schools what you like about them, I think it's really important to explain how your past experiences/interests and your future plans fit in with that. For example, don't just say that you like their focus on research...also explain how you've prioritized research in your own life and would like to continue with it in the future, blah blah blah. I also agree with the above post that says to avoid focusing on the schools reputation and rank...they know that already and it won't look good if that's the only reason you want to attend their school (even if it is one of the major motivators!)

Basically, you want to tell them specifically what it is that you like about the school.
Naah.

The "Why X school?" question actually translates to:

A. What professional and medical goals do you have, and how can X school help you achieve them?

B. Have you thoroughly browsed our website?

C. What do you have that can enrich the med school class and learning experience at this particular school?"

This seems like an incredibly easy question if you have a researched the school and know about them. If you really can't come up with any answer for this question, maybe that school isn't the right match for you (though that situation doesn't seem likely).