why our university?

Started by Lisochka
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lisochka

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to prepare for my upcoming interview in the Pacific University in Oregon. I have no clue how to answer the question : "Why did you chose Pacific University"?
Could you please, those who got accepted (not necessarily in to the Pacific ), share your answers. I am not going to copy them, I just want to know an idea on what is acceptable answer.

I tried to search their web site. Block system. 3 year program. Pass/ fail
Very expensive...Not fully accredited.
Is answering :"Because I just like Oregon" would be too shallow?
I know, "Because I did not get anywhere else" probably would be a bad answer....
Please, help, help, help, help!
 
Last edited:
Well why did you choose Pacific University? What was appealing about them that made you submit your application? You couldn't have gone through all that trouble to apply without a reason.

Anyway, I think you have a grasp of what you think are the bad answers and what you think are the good answers so just go with those.
 
"Because I like Oregon" is definately a bad answer. You have to give a reason, why you think Oregon's cirriculum is right for you, or some answer with substance. Not because of the weather/place/ because my parents went there...because I went to undergrad there....etc. those are all medeocre answers. It'll put your interviewer to sleep.
 
You don't have to give them a single answer. Let them know it was the right combination of factors including (and then list things you like about their school):

Location, 3 years instead of 4, heard good things about it from current students, want to be able to mold the program as you'll have a greater say in things with it being a new program and all, family in the area, staff hired from other good schools, weather, etc. As others have said, what made you apply in the first place. I doubt it was entirely based on the fact that it was a new school and therefore a bit easier to get into. There are plenty of those. What made you choose Oregon over some of the other ones?