why psychiatry??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowinter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After much agnoizing during my 3rd year, I decided to do ophthamology. I spent holidays in very neat surgeries and have started working on case studies and presentations.

Now, i'm on my psych rotation at our state hospital. I find myself really interested and constantly trying to talk myself out of psych. It's been hard to switch to ophthamology topics when I attend grand rounds , etc. It all seems so dry compared to the flamboyance of what I see on my psych rotation.

I decided to wait until this rotation is over .. to make any decision s-- and I have already signed up for everything regarding ophthamology on my schedule.

Maybe this is just a small bump -- and i'll continue with my original career plans. But, I wanted to write and ask: why psych?
I know lifestyle is important to a lot of ppl in this profession (certainly is to me which is why i was looking at a surgical subspecialty) ..
but what else? what kind of personality is good for psych? I somtimes find myself impatient and I just "want to get things done" hence I choose a surgical subspecialty field. But, I do love analyzing the way ppl think and act. to the point that I drive myself and others crazy at times. (no pun intended)

thanks for any input advice!
snowinter!

Members don't see this ad.

snowinter said:
I But, I do love analyzing the way ppl think and act. to the point that I drive myself and others crazy at times. (no pun intended)

snowinter!

Well dude, Psychiatry is more than just "analyzing" the way ppl think and act....its becoming more and more biological as has been discussed in other posters...and there is a strong genetic aspect to Pychiatry developing these days...so think twicw before taking a plunge....

snowinter said:
Hi everyone,

After much agnoizing during my 3rd year, I decided to do ophthamology. I spent holidays in very neat surgeries and have started working on case studies and presentations.

Now, i'm on my psych rotation at our state hospital. I find myself really interested and constantly trying to talk myself out of psych. It's been hard to switch to ophthamology topics when I attend grand rounds , etc. It all seems so dry compared to the flamboyance of what I see on my psych rotation.

I decided to wait until this rotation is over .. to make any decision s-- and I have already signed up for everything regarding ophthamology on my schedule.

Maybe this is just a small bump -- and i'll continue with my original career plans. But, I wanted to write and ask: why psych?
I know lifestyle is important to a lot of ppl in this profession (certainly is to me which is why i was looking at a surgical subspecialty) ..
but what else? what kind of personality is good for psych? I somtimes find myself impatient and I just "want to get things done" hence I choose a surgical subspecialty field. But, I do love analyzing the way ppl think and act. to the point that I drive myself and others crazy at times. (no pun intended)

snowinter!

Hi Snowinter,

I found the specialty decision process during 3rd and 4th year to be quite tough myself. It might be helpful for you to do another psych rotation in a different location/speciality (like psych ER or consult rotation) to get broader exposure to the field, to see if it might be a good fit for you.

As far as what kind of people enjoy psychiatry, at least among my classmates, it seems to be those who tend to be introspective, intellectual, and able to sympathetize with people who have mental illness. Of course, there are down sides - for instance, it is also frustrating to deal with the chronically mentally ill, who may never seem to stay better for long - that may go against your instincts that you "want to get things done". But it can be very rewarding over the long run, helping those who have difficulties in some of the most essential parts of life.

It's hard to know this early in your career what the absolute best fit is, and you may just have to pick one path or the other - with the knowledge that you're not locked in for a lifetime. If you really want to switch, you can always do so after intern year.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
snowinter said:
Hi everyone,

snowinter!
Psych is often a second career, as many have significant difficulty in accepting that they like psychiatry as a career. I myself did couple of yrs of int med before switching to psych. My 0.02c-
1.Do some shadowing w/ attdg in different setting.
2.Psych has been remedicalized, but still mind plays an important role in it. You'll have opportunity to introspect and "analyze", however clinical demographics will influence your practice.
3.If you like structure and decision making, try in-pt psych, where the motto is patch them up and d/c.
4.Regarding chronically ill pts- be asssured everything you'll see in your practice will be chronic and difficult, because the simpler pts are usually managed by mid-levels. this holds true of both psych and optho.
Hope this helps

Why Psychiatry.. I have so many Reasons for why Psyciatry that I can honestly say that there is no other field in medicine that Is better suited for me..

1) One of my close friends ( A medical Student) Incredible bright..Not just hard working but....Damn BRIGHT ( honestly one of the brightest people Ive ever met) .. was a Victim of Suicide.

2) Cuz during my 3rd year of medical School.. I suffered an accident that led me on a downward spiral... I suffered an Adjustment disorder with depressed Mood. almost to the point to where I was on the Brink of Getting Kicked out..
For the first time in my life I experienced Depression..FULL BLOWN Depression..To me it is very reall and very serious..
To those who do not think mentall illness is serious and yes life threatening illness,..(Dont apply) I always think that this part of My life could have been avoided .. But I take it as a sign becuase it was soon after I seriously considered this as a career.. After The long and Arduous process of getting reinstated.
What happened to me could have been easily prevented. If I just got treated.!! and that is what Drives me and gets me so passionate about this field.. These people can lead extremely productive and fullfilling lives..They can be helped.. and go on to serve society productively ..IF Given treatment..

3) Borderline Personality Disorder. Is not just something in DSM. But a very reall and dangerous condition.. I Know a close person, Textbook.. Borderline
Just the way I was Textbook.. Adjustment Disorder with depressed mood

4) Psychiatry is more the Analysing ...It is a science of medicine.. Tourette's, Drug Addiction,Schizophrenia, Mental ******ation, Autism,Dementia, Delirium Need I go on..
These and all other aspects of Psychiarty are real conditions that need more then Just psychoanalysis..

5) Easily the most interesting of All my Rotations..

Less Important but still Perks..

6) Great Life style..
7) Compensation better then IM
8) Rare Calls,,
9) Residency isnt as demanding.

This Is the way I like to explain psychiarty..

If someone has a broken leg ,,, you understand why some one cant run
If someone has Diabeties,, you understand why some one controls diet

If someone has Mental illness. Very few people understand,, Why ..Now Imagine if you were some who this person can turn to when every one else has turned them down..
If you understood the chemical mechanisms causing this and actually change..To make some one feel better... More Productive.. You would have effected essentiall every aspect of his life.. You would have basically given that person his life back..!

Just the way I felt that Ive Gotten MY LIFE BACK...

Starting 1st year Psychiatry...in a MONTH! CANT WAIT!!!!!

Hope this Helps..

Hope this Helps

mydoctormd said:
Why Psychiatry.. I have so many Reasons for why Psyciatry that I can honestly say that there is no other field in medicine that Is better suited for me..

1) One of my close friends ( A medical Student) Incredible bright..Not just hard working but....Damn BRIGHT ( honestly one of the brightest people Ive ever met) .. was a Victim of Suicide.

2) Cuz during my 3rd year of medical School.. I suffered an accident that led me on a downward spiral... I suffered an Adjustment disorder with depressed Mood. almost to the point to where I was on the Brink of Getting Kicked out..
For the first time in my life I experienced Depression..FULL BLOWN Depression..To me it is very reall and very serious..
To those who do not think mentall illness is serious and yes life threatening illness,..(Dont apply) I always think that this part of My life could have been avoided .. But I take it as a sign becuase it was soon after I seriously considered this as a career.. After The long and Arduous process of getting reinstated.
What happened to me could have been easily prevented. If I just got treated.!! and that is what Drives me and gets me so passionate about this field.. These people can lead extremely productive and fullfilling lives..They can be helped.. and go on to serve society productively ..IF Given treatment..

3) Borderline Personality Disorder. Is not just something in DSM. But a very reall and dangerous condition.. I Know a close person, Textbook.. Borderline
Just the way I was Textbook.. Adjustment Disorder with depressed mood

4) Psychiatry is more the Analysing ...It is a science of medicine.. Tourette's, Drug Addiction,Schizophrenia, Mental ******ation, Autism,Dementia, Delirium Need I go on..
These and all other aspects of Psychiarty are real conditions that need more then Just psychoanalysis..

5) Easily the most interesting of All my Rotations..

Less Important but still Perks..

6) Great Life style..
8) Rare Calls,,

This Is the way I like to explain psychiarty..

If someone has a broken leg ,,, you understand why some one cant run
If someone has Diabeties,, you understand why some one controls diet

If someone has Mental illness. Very few people understand,, Why ..Now Imagine if you were some who this person can turn to when every one else has turned them down..
If you understood the chemical mechanisms causing this and actually change..To make some one feel better... More Productive.. You would have effected essentiall every aspect of his life.. You would have basically given that person his life back..!

Just the way I felt that Ive Gotten MY LIFE BACK...

Starting 1st year Psychiatry...in a MONTH! CANT WAIT!!!!!

Hope this Helps..

Hope this Helps

Wow, you sold me! I want to go into psych now. Seriously, great post.

mydoctormd said:
For the first time in my life I experienced Depression..FULL BLOWN Depression..To me it is very reall and very serious.....
6) Great Life style..
8) Rare Calls,,

All good reasons, and raise a couple of points I usually cite--
1) I am convinced that psych saves more Life-Years than just about any specialty except pediatrics. You can be an internist and tweak antihypertensives and statins and antihyperglycemics all day and *maybe* extend someone's life a year or two, or you can prevent a suicide at 21 and get someone 50+ years of productive adult life.

2) One reason that the stigma persists is that mental health issues just hit too close to home. It reminds doctors that they are not God, and that they too are vulnerable if one or two things go wrong. If you can really empathize with a person in crisis, you are halfway to curing them.

3) Lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle. There's still plenty of work--but damn, I like my job.

mydoctormd said:

Some of the conditions you mentionned are neurological conditions as well (i.e. Tourette's and dementia), so why specifically psych and not neuro? Why not both? Are lifestyle issues and/or increased years of training barriers? I find much of neuro and psych overlaps.

MSHell said:
Some of the conditions you mentionned are neurological conditions as well (i.e. Tourette's and dementia), so why specifically psych and not neuro? Why not both? Are lifestyle issues and/or increased years of training barriers? I find much of neuro and psych overlaps.

An oversimplification, perhaps, but my bottom line:

Senior (PGY 3/4) Neuro resident--Q4 call, evaluating strokes in ER, admitting to ICU, up all night with status epilepticus, rounding on Post-stroke-pulled-out-feeding-tube-overnight-refer-to-Rehab-place-in-nursing-home patients all day.

Senior (PGY 3/4) psych resident--8-5 outpatient clinic, help people solve life's problems, hear interesting stories, watch people get slowly better, push some paper, cover ER a couple of evenings a month. Sleep in own bed every night.

Any questions?