Why Psychiatry????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychman22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am a PGY 1 candidate applying to Psych all across the country and I was hoping you guys help me on answering a question.

When a PD asks you why did you decide to go into Psychiatry??? what is the best answers that might impress them???

I have tried my way but I dont feel as if I am getting it just right.

Evrey input is appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone I am a PGY 1 candidate applying to Psych all across the country and I was hoping you guys help me on answering a question.

When a PD asks you why did you decide to go into Psychiatry??? what is the best answers that might impress them???

I have tried my way but I dont feel as if I am getting it just right.

Evrey input is appreciate it.

why don't you tell us why you want to be a psychiatrist and then we can tell you how to massage the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very curious about peoples behaviors, I have great communication skills, I like working with groups or teams that contribute to patient care. I am very approachable...... I am not sure excatly what is more relevat to Psychiatry programs. I always try to portray my personality to them but I feel that The PD's care to hear other things. I have good experince in Psychiatry I just dont what is wrong. I gor nearly 7 IV's last year but I did not match....

I am very curious about peoples behaviors, I have great communication skills, I like working with groups or teams that contribute to patient care. I am very approachable...... I am not sure excatly what is more relevat to Psychiatry programs. I always try to portray my personality to them but I feel that The PD's care to hear other things. I have good experince in Psychiatry I just dont what is wrong. I gor nearly 7 IV's last year but I did not match....

Unlike most people who will be suspicious of your question as someone just trying to match cause he couldnt go elsewhere, I will give you some benefit of the doubt because I believe diversity in the field is critical. PDs hear this reason so much and it's not believable to them although I personally believe it is a valid reason. Try another valid reason.... PDs fear people who will quit psychiatry later when the lack of gratification from patients and ancillary staff gets to you.... are you one? Tell them why you aren't such a person.

what else?

Being curious about behaviors really isnt enough. What about behaviors interests you? What about psychiatric illness interests you? How does your curiousity translate to dedicated to patient care? And by curious, do you mean that you are neurotic (like me), and look for meaning in everything?

Being a good communicator certainly is helpful, but.... what do you mean?

I think that being a curious about behavior, and being good at communication may lead to frustration as a psychiatrist, because these will be so different to you as a psychiatrist than they were before.

Thats just my 2 cents.

what is the best answers that might impress them???

Well you really should give an honest answer. However sometimes you have a good answer in you, you just don't know how to communicate out.

Happened to me with my personal statement for forensics. I knew I wanted to go into forensic psychiatry. I've wanted to do that since my PGY I year. I just didn't know how to write it down in a manner that matched my enthusiasm & show that enthusiasm to the interviewer.

Only thing I can think of is to have a few practice interviews with someone who has experience with these sort of things. Maybe a fellow student or a resident. Best would be a program director or Chief Resident.

In my own case...
When I entered medical school, I purposely avoided picking a career direction and tried to keep myself completely open to everything, all fields. However, I noticed (and so did my friends) that the psychiatry material just seemed to make sense to me, and I found myself reading beyond the course requirements (in those few moments when there was time). Even the mock patients with psychiatric/psychological issues were the most interesting to me. I could do the H&P on a cardiology or OB patient just fine. But even for those patients, it was their hopes, fears, attitudes that interested me the most.

Like everyone else, I was terrified as I entered the wards. But my psychiatry rotation felt like I was "home." Despite the chaos involved in psychiatric admissions, I felt calm and deeply appreciative of being allowed to help these most vulnerable (often most reviled) in our society. On subsequent rotations, I did good work and learned everything I possibly could. However, during those few quiet moments, I found myself wondering about the psychiatric patients I was forced to abandon at the end of the rotation. I couldn't help worrying about how they were doing. Did anyone let the Bipolar patient have that trial on Lithium we discussed as "plan b?" Was anyone listening to the schizophrenic's fear that some force will take over his body and cause him to commit violence against others - the very thing he's always feared most about his diagnosis? Did the suicidally depressed man ever find someone to take care of his dog during his hospitalization, so that he and Goldie might still be able to help each other when the hospital stay is over?

"Why do I want to go into psychiatry?" Somehow, it's not really the right question. It's now become clear to me that my (short) life experience has led me to this point. And my medical school experience has led me to the conclusion that I MUST go into psychiatry. I know it sounds corny, but it's no longer about what I "want."

Kugel: What a nicely-written and eloquent post. (esp paragraphs 2-3.)

I was about to "tease" you and ask you if you'd cut-and-pasted that from your personal statement (because it's SO nicely written), but I see you are an attending, so I guess not... ;-)

SK, you're very kind.
That was the essence of my Personal Statement when I applied to residency.

In the end I've decided that the real reason I went into psychiatry is that off all the fields... of all the prestige... of all the clout... it is the one field that can be absolutely represented by a symbol... the all powerful PSI (I can't find the symbol for it on this thing). Maybe it's my love of Prince and hope that at some point I would get to be known as a practicing "the-field-formerly-known-as-psychiatry" but it's pretty kick ass. I considered petitioning to have the word "psychiatry" taken off our white coats and just a big PSI-sympbol put in it's place on the arm. That would look so bad-ass. Your consult team could have theme music when they come on the floor and all the nurses would turn and say "wow, that's the Psi-Team" as you pass by. I would definitely carry around a pair of Sai's, a la Raphael from TMNT. Lives would be changed... and women would swoon... hell probably men too.

Greek_uc_psi.jpg

exactly... oh man and if someone wanted to call a consult they could only do so by shining that sign in the sky... beautiful

SK, you're very kind.
That was the essence of my Personal Statement when I applied to residency.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for those paragraphs next interview season, just in case someone else decides that that's exactly how they feel about psych , too.

(I'll also keep my eyes open for psi tattoos. Anyone going for the forehead?)

I personally wanted an easy lifestyle and decent money but I didn't have the board scores for derm. So private C&A here I come!

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for those paragraphs next interview season, just in case someone else decides that that's exactly how they feel about psych , too.

(I'll also keep my eyes open for psi tattoos. Anyone going for the forehead?)

I would think a psi nose ring would show a level of commitment worth noting....

Going back to the original post....

To help you find why you want psychiatry there are a few things you could ask yourself...

What are your interests in psychiatry

what are the things that you like in psychiatry

what are the things that you hate about psychiatry and what can you do about it

what keeps you ticking in psychiatry

if you write down bullet point answers to these and frame the answer in your own words rather than set answers like I am a team player.. it might help

I am not an expert in the interviewing field but these are the questions that helped me.....Good luck:thumbup: