Why should DO still be 'seperate but equal' from an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe it's impossible to start a thread on this without having a flame war but I'm curious if anyone has any good insights on this so here it goes.

From what I've seen the only difference between a DO and MD is the OMM DOs learn and apparently that by itself is enough to keep the two degrees distinct. Considering that DOs and MDs use the exact same treatments for the exact same illnesses I really don't understand how that alone is enough to warrant a separation between the two? Is there any logical reasoning in this besides politics?

I think this is a great question...One that should be discussed with some regularity, so I'd urge people not to shy away from these topics.

I believe there are sincere people on both sides of this discussion. Some saying that all good doctors are holistic and patient based, and that OMM should be more available. Others believe that the education, training, and practice of DOs are fundamentally different and that they bring something more human to patient care.

There are other great supporting topics and statistics with public health, touch, CAMs, etc that can be maturely and respectfully discussed and even critiqued so that we can all keep our intellectual curiosity and skepticism.

I've led many of these conversations here and elsewhere so I won't get to much into my view at this point, but I wanted to encourage anyone who wanted to discuss these things to do so...and continue to! We should questions everything we do and embrace improvement wherever it come from.

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is a great question...One that should be discussed with some regularity, so I'd urge people not to shy away from these topics.

I believe there are sincere people on both sides of this discussion. Some saying that all good doctors are holistic and patient based, and that OMM should be more available. Others believe that the education, training, and practice of DOs are fundamentally different and that they bring something more human to patient care.

There are other great supporting topics and statistics with public health, touch, CAMs, etc that can be maturely and respectfully discussed and even critiqued so that we can all keep our intellectual curiosity and skepticism.

I've led many of these conversations here and elsewhere so I won't get to much into my view at this point, but I wanted to encourage anyone who wanted to discuss these things to do so...and continue to! We should questions everything we do and embrace improvement wherever it come from.

This.

The most mature response I've ever see to this type of topic.