Why some programs require interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GirlsGoneGaga

Reaction score
Is there a reason why some schools do not hold interviews and notify their accepted applicants only via email? Is this something to look out for? I have been admitted to 2 high ranked programs neither of which required an interview so I’m just wondering what they are basing their applicant pool on besides GRE/GPA/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I know it is the opinion of one of the public schools in my home state that everyone is their best self for an interview and most can "put on a show" and the admissions committee feels like because of this it doesn't actually help them make any decisions with admissions because they still just go with the best people on paper as long as they don't royally screw up.

I personally disagree, as it is a good chance to see who is personable enough to be a good therapist + it allows you to show off your program. At the end of the day some students will get accepted into multiple schools and if these programs want our money they also need to tell us why we should want to go to their school. For that reason + others, there is no way I'm attending that school that doesn't hold interviews.

PS I only know this information because my mom was involved in a research study with one of the PTs that is on the board of admissions for that school and she asked him tons of questions.

Well I hope you base your decision on what school to attend based on price and not rank (which means nada for PT's), unless you're loaded ;)