Why take both boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjmDO

Vascular Surgery Fellow
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a DO student who will be taking the boards in a year or so, I have a question. Why is it neccessary for me to take both the USMLE and the COMLEX? Why can't I just take one or the other? Taking the MCAT was hell and I can't imagine taking two different boards just to please the medical gods. I am certain I will take them both becasue I want to place in a good surgical res, but isn't it just BS that we need to take both? Just looking for more information. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you get the idea that you are required to take both boards? As an American DO, you are only required to take the COMLEX Levels 1, 2 ,and 3 to be fully licensed as a physician.

I won't get into the pros and cons of taking the USMLE as a student DO, that's been nearly beaten to death in other discussions, you can do a search to find them.

But keep in mind that, especially if you are going for surgery, that exams will probably be the least of your hardships :D

Your COM will probably require you to take and pass COMLEX 1 and 2.
COMLEX is recognized in all 50 states for licensure. Starting this year ERAS (electronic residency application service) the allopathic centralized residency application system transmitts your COMLEX scores to MD residencies.

COMLEX is 15-20 % OMT , check out this new review book OPP Crunch at http://www.oppcrunch.com/