Why the double standard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just have one question:

Why do male Ob/Gyns must have chaperones when examining patients, while female urologists get away with not needing a chaperone.

Is society just assuming that males, in general, are sexual freaks and perverts? Are they saying that females have BETTER self control than males? :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Leukocyte said:

Why do male Ob/Gyns must have chaperones when examining patients, while female urologists get away with not needing a chaperone.

Is society just assuming that males, in general, are sexual freaks and perverts? Are they saying that females have BETTER self control than males? :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I'm not sure where you obtain your information.It is considered highly advisable that both male and female physicians have a "chaperone" present when examining patients especially during what might be considered sensitive or internally invasive exams regardless of the sex of the patient.I have never heard of any regulation which treats male or female physicians differently.Women can be (and have been)accused of sexual abuse and should protect themselves appropriately.

It is my understanding that the "chaperone" is there for the Doctor's protection against frivolous law suits and not necessarily to actually chaperone.

Members don't see this ad :)
not to mention the fact most men would probably not want another male to touch them there anyways, but thats just my theory......... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where you obtain your information.It is considered highly advisable that both male and female physicians have a "chaperone" present when examining patients especially during what might be considered sensitive or internally invasive exams regardless of the sex of the patient.I have never heard of any regulation which treats male or female physicians differently.Women can be (and have been)accused of sexual abuse and should protect themselves appropriately.

This makes sense to me... But even if what the OP mentions is true at certain facilities, it still makes sense to me- I think a guy who does an exam alone on a woman is more likely to get sued, whether or not it's justified. But I don't think that women are totally in the clear either--- for instance, I don't think that whether you're male or female that doing a sensitive exam on a child without a "chaperone"/relative present wouldn't be terribly bright.

There is a definate double standard, but who cares?

The double standard is this, men MUST have a female chaperone when performing exams on female patients.

It is perfectly acceptable for a female to use another female as a chaperone.

I guess they are saying women can be trusted but all men will overlook sexual misconduct of another male??

It doesn't really matter except when all the ER nurses happen to be male and I have to go pull a female off the floor for an exam then it's a pain:rolleyes:

Anyone else watch the southpark with the teacher and student? "But....she's hot. Nicceeeeee"

Yes.

I've never heard of that, it's just awful, probably that common in the States but here in Costa Rica we don't play THOSE stupid games, you know..."politically incorrect", "sexual arrasment", "affirmative action"...I mean, you must have respect for other people to live in a society with equality, but I think that it should be a virtue, no need to make laws and standars about everything, I hope you don't get offended by this comentary, becasue believe me, I have A LOT of critics toward latin american societies too.

The reason is because all wimmen think they're so hot that every man they meet wants to have sex with them, even if they're ugly and haven't shaved their armpits or are feminists. Men are more realistic and rational and also won't be like "ooo, you examined my penis, which is what I scheduled an appointment for, but I'm planning on suing you anyways because I need the cash."

The chaperone is there to make sure someone can back you up in court if someone sues. Unfortunate, but the reason why most places only require men to be chaperoned with a female nurse is because men get sued more often.

The solution is obviously then to get men to sue female urologists all the time (kidding, kidding)!