Why us essay

Started by sunshine02
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunshine02

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For secondaries like the "Why us" essay, is it more common to just jump in and start answering the question? It seems like secondaries are written a bit differently from the personal statement--which usually starts with some attention-grabbing story or whatnot. Are secondaries generally written in a different style?
 
For secondaries like the "Why us" essay, is it more common to just jump in and start answering the question? It seems like secondaries are written a bit differently from the personal statement--which usually starts with some attention-grabbing story or whatnot. Are secondaries generally written in a different style?
Most of them won't give you room to write a long, elaborate essay. I've already written two 150 word "Why our school?" essays. There is definitely no room in there for superfluous details.
 
What is so difficult about this question?



For secondaries like the "Why us" essay, is it more common to just jump in and start answering the question? It seems like secondaries are written a bit differently from the personal statement--which usually starts with some attention-grabbing story or whatnot. Are secondaries generally written in a different style?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is so difficult about this question?
Goro, nothing is difficult about this question. Just have difficulty putting pen to paper. I know what I want to write, but stumped on how to write it without sounding boring.
 
Goro, nothing is difficult about this question. Just have difficulty putting pen to paper. I know what I want to write, but stumped on how to write it without sounding boring.
Boring to you, refreshing to someone who doesn't have to read through fluff before you get to the point. Clear writing is boring.
 
Goro, nothing is difficult about this question. Just have difficulty putting pen to paper. I know what I want to write, but stumped on how to write it without sounding boring.
I understand not wanting to be boring, but there's only so interesting it can be before it becomes weird and gimmicky. Obviously, it's boring if you just say: "I like your school. You have good programs. Your school is a good fit for me." You make this more interesting by explaining why you like the school, why their programs are good, and why it is a good fit for you. However, if you try to make this worthy of the New York Times Bestseller list, it's just going to be weird. Just say what you mean in a reasonably eloquent way (as in, talk in specifics, don't use the same words over and over, etc.) It doesn't need to be a literary masterpiece.
 
What is so difficult about this question?

I would say the difficulty about this question is that it is hard to make it sound like you didn't list stuff off their website/sound generic...