Why was Baton Rouge on Probation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffywannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am working on my rank list. I liked Baton Rouge but realized they were on probation in 2010-2011. My PD told me I should figure out why they were on probation before I rank them highly. I've been searching on the internets but have come up with nothing. Anybody in the know?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am working on my rank list. I liked Baton Rouge but realized they were on probation in 2010-2011. My PD told me I should figure out why they were on probation before I rank them highly. I've been searching on the internets but have come up with nothing. Anybody in the know?

I had heard secondhand it was due to their peds experience but had been corrected and is no longer a problem.

Their Peds ED rotation didn't have enough Peds EM trained staff. The ED hired a few more and corrected the problem.

The throughput at the home ED, part of the charity system in LA, was too low. The home ED has moved to OLOL and that charity hospital was closed down, due to decreased charity hospital funding from the LA Gov't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also heard they'r ehaving major funding problems and might shut down. Can anyone confirm? I'm lloking to get back to the area for EM residency.

I've also heard they'r ehaving major funding problems and might shut down. Can anyone confirm? I'm lloking to get back to the area for EM residency.

There is no talk at the hospital or program level of funding problems. Our Lady of the Lake and the state of Louisiana just approved an emergency department expansion in north Baton Rouge. Everything seems great here. It is a hidden gem of a program. I am very happy here. Many of my friends from medical school that went to "better" programs have it much much worse (lifestyle and standard of living). The outcome is the same (we will all be great EM trained phyisicans). Why make the journey a struggle for yourself?

Great questions. I know some great docs have come out of this program. I know there have been some odd systems issues for the past decade or so. The pathology in BR is gonna be good, Our Lady of the Lake is a good hospital. Its not clear that the issues that have come up in the past have been worked out.
I encourage all my students to apply and interview there if asked and interested.
You'll learn WAY more from an interview and a resident dinner than you will from listening to someone who joined this forum today.
I hope the good in BR > the not so good. From where I'm sitting I'm not so sure, but would encourage folks to look for themselves.

Reactions: 1 users