why/what was I called a gunner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEADintheCLOUDS

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so I have a test this friday and so I am studying super hard this week, even during the 10 minute breaks we get bewtween consecutive lectures. SO said guy come up to me and asks why I am studying during breaks since our school is p/NP adn I am already prepared enough to pass. So I tell him I want to get above a 95% and want to be #1 or at least try to be. Said person calls me a gunner and walks off.

1. What is a gunner?
2.why would he call me a gunner? (I have never gone hunting in my life)

Members don't see this ad.

OK so I have a test this friday and so I am studying super hard this week, even during the 10 minute breaks we get bewtween consecutive lectures. SO said guy come up to me and asks why I am studying during breaks since our school is p/NP adn I am already prepared enough to pass. So I tell him I want to get above a 95% and want to be #1 or at least try to be. Said person calls me a gunner and walks off.

1. What is a gunner?

Why do you want to be #1? Are you guys ranked?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do your best, but I wouldn't go around saying you want to be #1 in your class.

Didn't you just post about failing a class? I would worry more about that than being #1 in this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you just post about failing a class? I would worry more about that than being #1 in this one.

NO my class isnt ranked but I figure if I aim for being number one or getting 100% then when I take the cummulative exam at the end of the year (which is ranked) then I will be better prepared and get #1 then also.

Why is saying that you want to be number 1 bad? I mean is aiming for success wrong?

PS. I failed not cause I am stupid (although my choice of studying can be seen that way) I failed because I thought I could cram 7 weeks of material into 3 days (18hrs/day) of studying before the test. Yes I learned it all but my brain was too burntout to process the test questions.

Now I keep up with the material 6hrs a day weekdays and 10hrs weekend, aiming for #1.

Seriously?

You may get more info about what a gunner is by searching the pre-allo forum since a thread asking the definition of being a gunner pops up there ~once/week.

I dunno, his username is kind of telling.
Sometimes I am in my own world.

Should have I already found out what this means?

I do not think it is a good thing because said person seemd kind of disgusted. (kind of like I just spit in his face or something. I didn/t even say it nastily or anything.:confused:

A gunner is someone who is excessively competitive and obsessed with grades or rankings, and willingly spends all his time studying. Gunners are happy to sacrifice personal relationships to achieve their ridiculous goals.
They often ask long questions in order to show others that they know some minute detail that even the lecturer doesn't care about.

It's my understanding that a true gunner must possess a malicious streak, i.e. they sabotage others in their quest for greatness.

Whether or not that description characterizes you is not discernible from your post.

What I can definitively say, however, is that you are socially inept and severely lacking basic interpersonal skills. Don't panic! There's absolutely nothing you can do about it this late in the game. Best to accept that you will spend the rest of your life as "that guy."

A gunner is someone who is excessively competitive and obsessed with grades or rankings, and willingly spends all his time studying. Gunners are happy to sacrifice personal relationships to achieve their ridiculous goals.

They often ask long questions in order to show others that they know some minute detail that even the lecturer doesn't care about.
OH.
I only fit the first part. I never ask any questions! But why is there such contempt to doing well?

It's my understanding that a true gunner must possess a malicious streak, i.e. they sabotage others in their quest for greatness.

Whether or not that description characterizes you is not discernible from your post.

What I can definitively say, however, is that you are socially inept and severely lacking basic interpersonal skills. Don't panic! There's absolutely nothing you can do about it this late in the game. Best to accept that you will spend the rest of your life as "that guy."
Its not that I am inept at being social but my classmates are either 1. too ugly why talk to them 2. to boring 3. completely immatuer idiots. I usually go out with hot girls (non-medical, some college) when I am not studying.

What do you mean when you say i am "that GUY"? (just curious what it means)

Members don't see this ad :)
They [classmates] are mostly immature so I really do not want to hang with them. I also decided to study almost 6 hours a day and on the weekends 10 hours at the minimum and always being about 1-2 days ahead of the syllabus. So when the other students say somehting incorrecttly I can sigh and correct them hastily. It makes me feel so much better shoving it in their faces since they seem to be total *****s in my prescence.
No way you are not a troll. But that's cool. It'd be scary if you were real.

No way you are not a troll. But that's cool. It'd be scary if you were real.

mhm. I think it's just f*ckin' obnoxious, personally. Glad to never have felt like I need to create an account to be an idiot on SDN.

I agree about the wanting others to not do as well as you being a key part of someone being a gunner. If you want to get a 100% and wouldn't be hurt if someone else did too, then I'd call that ambition. If you are ambitious people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Think about your future patients. Do you think they want the doctor with the attitude of your classmate. "Hmmm pass-fail means I only have to do enough to pass."

I agree about the wanting others to not do as well as you being a key part of someone being a gunner. If you want to get a 100% and wouldn't be hurt if someone else did too, then I'd call that ambition. If you are ambitious people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Think about your future patients. Do you think they want the doctor with the attitude of your classmate. "Hmmm pass-fail means I only have to do enough to pass."

I could care less if someone else got a 100% too, unless it involced cheating then I would be p-o-ed.

It sucks though...that since I want to do so well, which will surely help me become a better more knowledgeable doctor, and afford my patients better care that I get seen as a monster or something.

While those that study just to barely pass, Who probably (not necessarily) provide a lessened standard of care based on lack of initiative and knowledge. They get mad becasue they arent willing to put in effort to get a higher grade but bring me down becasue I am willing to sacfice for my future patients.

You are right Lo281OK the future patients will want me as their doctor rather than those haters (yes bringin it back from the 90's). I guess enduring this holocaust-like behavior is worth it for my patients sake. (which could very well end up being the family member of the haters):laugh:

are you sure you are HEADintheCLOUDS ?? I think you sound more like a Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds...

I still have yet to figure out what makes it fun to troll SDN. There are a lot more aggressive and crazy message board bases than ours that would surely give you much more colorful responses, for instance, college football. Go pose as an Ohio State fan on a Michigan football board, I promise they will be more fun to troll than us.

screw gunners and snipers...i'm going to be a terrorist and nuke the **** out of everyone.

Why is saying that you want to be number 1 bad? I mean is aiming for success wrong?

Being #1 isn't bad. Telling others you plan to be #1 is. A big portion of a typical gunners arsenal is psyching out the competition. So your studying in breaks accompanied by telling someone you plan to be #1 probably accomplishes this, to some degree. You may not have the true intent (or even ability) of a true gunner, but your actions could certainly be construed that way. Most people who are #1 aren't going to advertise that fact -- they just go about their business. But also bear in mind that many people misuse the word gunner, so this other person might be misusing the term. But really, mellow out. Study all you want, but try to be subtle about all the folks you plan to vault past.

that since I want to do so well, which will surely help me become a better more knowledgeable doctor, and afford my patients better care

Ah, the fallacy so ever popular amongst so many in our field. If you don't know how to talk to your patient or your coworkers, the care of your patients will suffer despite your knowing every last detail in every text book ever written. You must know how to socialize and relate to people from all walks of life, even if you think they are immature, ugly or boring.

Also, I wouldn't call being called a "gunner" holocaust-like behavior; even I have my limits for hyperbole. Then again, if you are a troll, fire away.

HEADintheCLOUDS said:
You are right Lo281OK the future patients will want me as their doctor rather than those haters (yes bringin it back from the 90's). I guess enduring this holocaust-like behavior :)eek:)is worth it for my patients sake. (which could very well end up being the family member of the haters)

1. What is a gunner?

I think there are worse things in life than being called a gunner, like ending up with an empty envelope on the match day

Its not that I am inept at being social but my classmates are either 1. too ugly why talk to them 2. to boring 3. completely immatuer idiots. I usually go out with hot girls (non-medical, some college) when I am not studying.

What do you mean when you say i am "that GUY"? (just curious what it means)
Ok, i don't know about you guys, but I am called a troll on this guy

Being #1 isn't bad. Telling others you plan to be #1 is. A big portion of a typical gunners arsenal is psyching out the competition. So your studying in breaks accompanied by telling someone you plan to be #1 probably accomplishes this, to some degree. You may not have the true intent (or even ability) of a true gunner, but your actions could certainly be construed that way. Most people who are #1 aren't going to advertise that fact -- they just go about their business. But also bear in mind that many people misuse the word gunner, so this other person might be misusing the term. But really, mellow out. Study all you want, but try to be subtle about all the folks you plan to vault past.

Oh okay. I will not tell anyone then that I plan to beat them and be #1. So what should I tell them if i get asked why I study so much if all I need to is get around a 70% to pass?
I think there are worse things in life than being called a gunner, like ending up with an empty envelope on the match day
Yeah that would really suck. I think 4 people from my school did not match and they were balling like crazy!

So what should I tell them if i get asked why I study so much if all I need to is get around a 70% to pass?

This never gets asked. However if it does, just shrug and go about your business. Everyone has to do what works for them and I promise there are folks who are studying hard just to pass in your class. Your classmates shouldn't know your business well enough to know that isn't you, so let them assume what they want.

If you have advertised/bragged about grades to others, you are still in college mode. At some point you will realize this is only a competition against yourself and that you truly benefit by keeping your eyes on your own plate. The grades in the first couple of years of med school don't matter much, and the only one you need to be competing against is yourself. Because pushing yourself on these tests will help you later on with the Step and all those nasty pimp questions in the clinical years. So time to grow up past the "what did you get on that last test" mode and focus on what is important.

SO said guy come up to me and asks why I am studying during breaks since our school is p/NP adn I am already prepared enough to pass. So I tell him I want to get above a 95% and want to be #1 or at least try to be.
Ugh.

I wouldn't turn up my nose at anyone trying to do their best. There's nothing wrong with that and even at P/F schools, that's what most students are shooting for.

The problem is with wanting to beat everyone else. That's just sad and insecure. Especially if your school is unranked.

There can be a bit of a mentality at some P/F schools where anything above 70% is a waste of time. My usual response is that I'm not studying for the test, I'm studying for the boards. If you work just hard enough to pull 70's your first two years, the odds of you pulling a rabbit ouf of your hat on the day of the Step 1 is probably remote.

This never gets asked. However if it does, just shrug and go about your business. Everyone has to do what works for them and I promise there are folks who are studying hard just to pass in your class. Your classmates shouldn't know your business well enough to know that isn't you, so let them assume what they want.

If you have advertised/bragged about grades to others, you are still in college mode. At some point you will realize this is only a competition against yourself and that you truly benefit by keeping your eyes on your own plate. The grades in the first couple of years of med school don't matter much, and the only one you need to be competing against is yourself. Because pushing yourself on these tests will help you later on with the Step and all those nasty pimp questions in the clinical years. So time to grow up past the "what did you get on that last test" mode and focus on what is important.
Yeah thats why I am studying so hard because I know it translates to the boards. But I am also studying super hard to beat everyone so that on the cummulaative final test ant the end of year one I can score in the highest 1%, as it is ranked. And they use it to determine AOA and deans letter, so it does matter.

I never ask other people what they got because frankly I dont care. I try to treat my fellow classmates as co-workers and dont get involved in the drama. But when someone goes out of theri way to ask me about my studyibng i sometimes get sucked in. But you are right and I will just shrug them off and brush the dirt off my shoulder.
Ugh.

I wouldn't turn up my nose at anyone trying to do their best. There's nothing wrong with that and even at P/F schools, that's what most students are shooting for.

The problem is with wanting to beat everyone else. That's just sad and insecure. Especially if your school is unranked.

There can be a bit of a mentality at some P/F schools where anything above 70% is a waste of time. My usual response is that I'm not studying for the test, I'm studying for the boards. If you work just hard enough to pull 70's your first two years, the odds of you pulling a rabbit ouf of your hat on the day of the Step 1 is probably remote.

My school is ranked at the end of the year cummulative final. So if I am top on all the system tests then I surely will be in the high ranks when the final rolls around.

Are you sure some people study hard just to pass? Most of them say that they just crammed and barely passed. Alos there are some people in my class who brag about getting in the 90's with only studying like a couple of days before the test. And since I study alot more to get in the 90's I get a little depressed.

Sorry but I call troll as well.

Or, immaturity. Period.

What does P/F stand for? Sorry, I've already tried to look it up online and nothing...:confused:

P=pass
F=fail

Usually you pass if you get >70% in exams/class

Oh okay. I will not tell anyone then that I plan to beat them and be #1. So what should I tell them if i get asked why I study so much if all I need to is get around a 70% to pass?

If you had a sack, you'd tell them to go shove a pumpkin up their a$$e$.

Have fun doing Primary Care.

If you had a sack, you'd tell them to go shove a pumpkin up their a$$e$.

Have fun doing Primary Care.
:laugh:

Yeah that would be hilarious if I told them they were going into primary care!

Too bad I dont have the guts to say that!!

Dude....Ugh....

So now you want to pi$$ off the people that want to go into Primary Care because they really like/enjoy that specialty? Congrats!!! You're a d*** bag. You're weenie must be really small that you have to announce to the world that you want to be #1 to everybody and their dogs.

Dude, get a life! Oh wait, I forgot you're trolling, let's keep "playing your game" :laugh: When your classmates ask you why you're studying so much you should tell them that you want to win a Nobel prize for the "Biggest d*****bag in _______ Medical School".

You're right Exi, why do we even bother with this? In my case I just want to beat somebody up and I'm not in a good mood right now :smuggrin:

Dude....Ugh....

So now you want to pi$$ off the people that want to go into Primary Care because they really like/enjoy that specialty? Congrats!!! You're a d*** bag. You're weenie must be really small that you have to announce to the world that you want to be #1 to everybody and their dogs.

Dude, get a life! Oh wait, I forgot you're trolling, let's keep "playing your game" :laugh: When your classmates ask you why you're studying so much you should tell them that you want to win a Nobel prize for the "Biggest d*****bag in _______ Medical School".

You're right Exi, why do we even bother with this? In my case I just want to beat somebody up and I'm not in a good mood right now :smuggrin:

I don't know, dear... but if you'd like some help on the beating, I'd be happy to volunteer my services. I can hold people down like none other, and I've still got a nasty roundhouse kick. :D

Dude....Ugh....

What is your problem?

I didnt say I plan to piss off GP people. Read the post above my who brought it up. And you apparentyl have not read my other posts past the first couple, so I am ignoring your ignorance.

If you don't have stuff to add to this topic of discussion then leave. I wont allow highjacking by trolls.

If you don't have stuff to add to this topic of discussion then leave. I wont allow highjacking by trolls.

Ha ha ha. Good one.

I don't need your entire rambling about your uhh ohh "wanna be #1 and alienate everybody else while I do this". Good luck, 'cause you're gonna need it troll. :p

And by the way N00b, respect your elders muahahaha

So what should I tell them if i get asked why I study so much if all I need to is get around a 70% to pass?

I'm gonna call this whole thing more pre-medical social ineptitude than trolling.

Making it openly obvious that you want to be #1 to someone who just asks a simple question lacks a bit of civil tact. You could have just as easily said that you didn't do as well on your last test or that you want to know the material very well so that studying will be easier for your cumulative exam or boards.

Then going on to compare your situation to the holocaust and say you go out with hot girls on a regular basis, to strangers on an anonymous forum of all people. You must really have some sort of social issues and many insecurities.

I'm gonna call this whole thing more pre-medical social ineptitude than trolling.

Making it openly obvious that you want to be #1 to someone who just asks a simple question lacks a bit of civil tact. You could have just as easily said that you didn't do as well on your last test or that you want to know the material very well so that studying will be easier for your cumulative exam or boards.

Then going on to compare your situation to the holocaust and say you go out with hot girls on a regular basis, to strangers on an anonymous forum of all people. You must really have some sort of social issues and many insecurities.

TROLL. Not just socially inept, but troll.

Folks, just report the idiot's posts if you're bothered by them and move along.

Making it openly obvious that you want to be #1 to someone who just asks a simple question lacks a bit of civil tact. You could have just as easily said that you didn't do as well on your last test or that you want to know the material very well so that studying will be easier for your cumulative exam or boards.​

But then they would think that I am not smart enough to be in medical school. UGGH. No matter what I do I am screwed. Thanks for the advice though!

TROLL. Not just socially inept, but troll.

Folks, just report the idiot's posts if you're bothered by them and move along.
How about I just report you for calling me an idiot which is in clear violation of the TOS.

How about I just report you for calling me an idiot which is in clear violation of the TOS.

Proximal cause of all the ill will in this thread: you trolling, and quite obviously so. Reporting me is different only in magnitude from the old stories of people calling the cops about their stolen marijuana. Don't forget the part where I said you were a ******, too!

Proximal cause of all the ill will in this thread: you trolling, and quite obviously so. Reporting me is different only in magnitude from the old stories of people calling the cops about their stolen marijuana. Don't forget the part where I said you were a ******, too!
No one made you click on this thread, nor to keep coming back.

But yes keep the name calling going!

I still have yet to figure out what makes it fun to troll SDN. There are a lot more aggressive and crazy message board bases than ours that would surely give you much more colorful responses, for instance, college football. Go pose as an Ohio State fan on a Michigan football board, I promise they will be more fun to troll than us.
Hahahahaa, word! :thumbup:

1. What is a gunner?
There's a difference between being a gunner vs. studying hard to get good grades.
Gunners are annoying and blab to their classmates about how much they study and want to get good grades, they usually don't do anything but study and no one in class wants to hang out with them because of how obnoxious and socially ******ed they are. If this is how you are being, have your epiphany and then you need to take your gunner attitude and stick it in the holster.

You can study like crazy to prepare for boards and stuff, and you should strive for success!!! It will only prepare you for the long run....but just don't be annoying about it.

Why I don't like gunners:
1) they like pointing out how much they know
2) they waste time with trivial questions
3) they ask questions they already know the answer to, this is especially annoying post-call after being up 36 hours straight, just to show they're "interested"
4) they try to correct you in front of attendings, to make themselves look good and you look bad at the same time (two birds, one stone)
5) they can't stand to be wrong, they refuse to admit they made a mistake
6) they refuse to do any scut work, b/c they're "better" than that
7) they have no life outside of school, which is just plain sad

Seriously, other meds students are your future colleagues, why do you want to sabotage them. It's not cool. Doing your best is fine, but gunners sabotage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.