why/what was I called a gunner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this were true, I think it's kind of loathsome to be made fun of for wanting to do your best, when you're not shouting it out to everyone all over the place. I mean, in this situation the guy would have been asked point-blank why he was studying, why would he lie?

Members don't see this ad.

Hahahahaa, word! :thumbup:

There's a difference between being a gunner vs. studying hard to get good grades.
Gunners are annoying and blab to their classmates about how much they study and want to get good grades, they usually don't do anything but study and no one in class wants to hang out with them because of how obnoxious and socially ******ed they are. If this is how you are being, have your epiphany and then you need to take your gunner attitude and stick it in the holster.

You can study like crazy to prepare for boards and stuff, and you should strive for success!!! It will only prepare you for the long run....but just don't be annoying about it.
Gotcha, Perhaps I may have gone overboard in telling said person that I wanted to be #1. I guess I will just side step the question next time, and just pretend I dont study alot at all.

Did anyone else get an oddly comical mental visual after reading this? :laugh:

That's why you're my girl.

OP for future reference, wikipedia is good for medical stuff you dont know, and urbandictionary.com is good for slang you dont know. Just a thought so you dont get jokes next time for not knowing what a gunner is :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha, Perhaps I may have gone overboard in telling said person that I wanted to be #1. I guess I will just side step the question next time, and just pretend I dont study alot at all.

Also, I would cut back on openly flaunting your grades (another quality of a gunner), as you so needlessly did in a post on another thread. When the OP asks for some advice on relieving anxiety, I'm sure this doesn't help.

I stil feel like I am not good enough no matter how high I score on the test (last test I got a 96%).

Interestingly, the people I hear throwing the word "gunner" around are just as bad, if not worse, than said "gunners" with their gossipy B.S. to put people down in an attempt to feel better about themselves, especially when done repeatedly, which if you're doing in your mid-20's is sad, grim, and pathetic.

You best bet:

Assume no one around you is a gunner. Don't call anyone a gunner, unless you're joking with a friend and you call them a gunner just as a joke if they studied the night before, because then it's funny when it's not serious. Otherwise, lighten up, grow up, and learn to like people for who they are. It takes some time, but slowly but surely, it works.

If you can't make that change in your mental mindset, you are in for 4 very long and painful years of drama and bullshiit.

A gunner is someone who is excessively competitive and obsessed with grades or rankings, and willingly spends all his time studying. Gunners are happy to sacrifice personal relationships to achieve their ridiculous goals.
They often ask long questions in order to show others that they know some minute detail that even the lecturer doesn't care about.
Based on the fact that you said you study 6 hours a day (uh...that makes me question your understanding of anything if you attend lecture) and that you study 10 hours on the weekend, I'd be pretty concerned that you are sacrificing relationships with real people and time for anything outside school.

That doesn't mean malicious, but I'd be seriously concerned that you're going to burn out. You have to find a balance that doesn't involve spending all your time studying...

Based on the fact that you said you study 6 hours a day (uh...that makes me question your understanding of anything if you attend lecture) and that you study 10 hours on the weekend, I'd be pretty concerned that you are sacrificing relationships with real people and time for anything outside school.

That doesn't mean malicious, but I'd be seriously concerned that you're going to burn out. You have to find a balance that doesn't involve spending all your time studying...

Perhaps but people tend to exaggerate how much time they actually spend studying. Usually for the average med student who hasn't figured out how to study efficiently its about a 1/2-2/3 yield, so 6 hours really means 3-4 hours of real work and 10 hours means 5-7 hours.

Yeah that seems like a lot but if you aren't attending lecture and that include video watching/book reading time that isn't that excessive. Just inefficient.

Interestingly, the people I hear throwing the word "gunner" around are just as bad, if not worse, than said "gunners" with their gossipy B.S. to put people down in an attempt to feel better about themselves, especially when done repeatedly, which if you're doing in your mid-20's is sad, grim, and pathetic.

You best bet:

Assume no one around you is a gunner. Don't call anyone a gunner, unless you're joking with a friend and you call them a gunner just as a joke if they studied the night before, because then it's funny when it's not serious. Otherwise, lighten up, grow up, and learn to like people for who they are. It takes some time, but slowly but surely, it works.

If you can't make that change in your mental mindset, you are in for 4 very long and painful years of drama and bullshiit.

Change in my mindset? I was the one who got called a gunner, I am not calling others that. But does this petty BS go on in 3rd , and 4th year too? (If it does med school is gonna suck!)

I do attend lecture, but I do not learn from them per say. I usually learn the material on my own the night before so that the next day when I go to lecture it is mostly a review of what I know and I pick up what I need to re learn after the lecture. (but If i went into a lecture cold, I would leave with almost nothing , since I cant learn i guess auditorily).

Yes I do not have time for people or much outside of school since I want to know every small detail and its relation in our handouts (which hopefully will let me score great on step 1). But It isn't as bad as you think though, since I do not really have any friends. If I didnt study all this much I guess I would not have much to do anyways.

Can you burnout? Do you know anyone who has?

How do you guys not study as much? Do you still get top grades to?

Change in my mindset? I was the one who got called a gunner, I am not calling others that. But does this petty BS go on in 3rd , and 4th year too? (If it does med school is gonna suck!)

Sorry, I wasn't directing that right at YOU. I meant "you" as in any student reading this. My bad...

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeezz, don't you get tired of trolling? It was entertaining at first but now it's just getting annoying. Why don't you go and play videogames or get laid? Wait, I don't think you could do the latter because of your narcissistic and egocentric personality.

I saw from your previous posts that you're always complaining about "how immature my classmates are", or "they're ugly so why bother talking to them". What is wrong with you dude? I think you're the one that has some growing up to do. And as for the "ugliness" part, you're a dum****.

You must have an inferiority complex the size of Mt. Everest that you have to announce to everybody and their dogs that you want to be #1. You are an attention *****. Why do you feel the need to come up with excuses as to why you're studying? That's ******ed.

I study hard, I get good grades. Sometimes I study a lot and do just around average. Do I put a sticky note on my forehead with my grades? NO.

You have to be a pre-med, or just trying to have fun with this. Who in the hell asks "can you burnout? Do you know anyone who has?" What planet do you live in?

As far as 3rd and 4th year "gunners" go, get used to it. I'm a few months away from MSIII and I've been aware of these type of people since I first started medical school.

And in the case that you're not trolling, then you have some serious problems and I recommend that you get a psychiatric evaluation right away. And don't forget to take your meds.

Jeezz, don't you get tired of trolling? It was entertaining at first but now it's just getting annoying. Why don't you go and play videogames or get laid? Wait, I don't think you could do the latter because of your narcissistic and egocentric personality.

I saw from your previous posts that you're always complaining about "how immature my classmates are", or "they're ugly so why bother talking to them". What is wrong with you dude? I think you're the one that has some growing up to do. And as for the "ugliness" part, you're a dum****.

You must have an inferiority complex the size of Mt. Everest that you have to announce to everybody and their dogs that you want to be #1. You are an attention *****. Why do you feel the need to come up with excuses as to why you're studying? That's ******ed.

I study hard, I get good grades. Sometimes I study a lot and do just around average. Do I put a sticky note on my forehead with my grades? NO.

You have to be a pre-med, or just trying to have fun with this. Who in the hell asks "can you burnout? Do you know anyone who has?" What planet do you live in?

As far as 3rd and 4th year "gunners" go, get used to it. I'm a few months away from MSIII and I've been aware of these type of people since I first started medical school.

And in the case that you're not trolling, then you have some serious problems and I recommend that you get a psychiatric evaluation right away. And don't forget to take your meds.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've been thinking of how I should respond to this guy every time I saw this thread pop up, but you just hit the nail on the head.
Bravo.:thumbup:

As for headintheclouds, time to get your headoutofyourownarse.

Is this thread still going? Maybe if we ignore it it will go away.

First off what does egocentric personality mean?

So CAN you burnout? I heard it was just a myth and all in your head kind of like "anxiety/panic attacks" are all in your head? Have you experienced it before? Is it like the headache you get if you do not drink your morning coffee?

are you a real life medstudent or a pretend one?

go by this rule. are YOU burned out? (your answer). so is everyone else!! :rolleyes:
I am not burned out nor have I ever been. Thats why I am asking. I have heard that some people do, but then others say it is all in the persons head like anxiety/panic attacks are all made up. Just wondering if they are real and what they feel like?

6 hours a day on weekdays and 10 hours a day on the weekends? Jesus... your girlfriend or boyfriend must hate the **** out of you.

6 hours a day on weekdays and 10 hours a day on the weekends? Jesus... your girlfriend or boyfriend must hate the **** out of you.
Haha. Yeah she is starting to get fed up with it. How do you all deal with it or study more effeiceiently?

oh god ...
i just read through this entire post while procrastinating. I now want to stick a fork in my eye.
I'm usually not a malicious person, but I actually hate this headinclouds guy. I hope for the sake of our collective sanity/BP, we stop posting to this thread.

~Nrf

Being #1 isn't bad. Telling others you plan to be #1 is. A big portion of a typical gunners arsenal is psyching out the competition. So your studying in breaks accompanied by telling someone you plan to be #1 probably accomplishes this, to some degree. You may not have the true intent (or even ability) of a true gunner, but your actions could certainly be construed that way. Most people who are #1 aren't going to advertise that fact -- they just go about their business. But also bear in mind that many people misuse the word gunner, so this other person might be misusing the term. But really, mellow out. Study all you want, but try to be subtle about all the folks you plan to vault past.

Yes, true gunners definitely try to psych out the competition. They also like to tell people they hardly study even though you can find them hiding in dark corners of the library at all hours of the day.:laugh:

Yes, true gunners definitely try to psych out the competition. They also like to tell people they hardly study even though you can find them hiding in dark corners of the library at all hours of the day.:laugh:
Yeah but if you see them in the library then arent YOU in there too?:laugh:

Yeah but if you see them in the library then arent YOU in there too?:laugh:

You think everyone else camps out at the library like you?
It'll be easier to understand society once you establish a life OUTSIDE of academics for once. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm being too harsh, aren't I? :D I don't actually know you...

In your own words, you "usually go out with hot girls," even though your classmates are "too ugly," and your "classmates are always trying to get [you] to go out with them." Plus, you say you're "really good looking."
Life's hard when you're so damn popular, but hard to get, huh? :(
*sigh......*

You know those desperate "ugly" and "immature" girls in your class that bug you? Yeah, they're crazy about you. :love::thumbup: I mean, c'mon. Do you really believe they'd think they have a chance with anyone else?

^^ It is amazing how sarcasm is lost on some semi-smart people!:rolleyes:

It's amazing how people who "know" they are smart assume that others don't get their unfunny jokes when others don't laugh along. :rolleyes:

Actually I wasnt saying it was funny (which it was). I merely stated that how someone (hint, hint) could not seem to pick up on the sarcasm and took what I was saying as the gospel truth!:sleep:

Do Gunners really think they psyche anyone out at this point? I don't see that many left that still act that way at the end of my 3rd year. I guess they finally figured it out. You will not survive on your own, and don't worry the people who write your evaluations know what you are trying to do and just reflect that then.

Do Gunners really think they psyche anyone out at this point? I don't see that many left that still act that way at the end of my 3rd year. I guess they finally figured it out. You will not survive on your own, and don't worry the people who write your evaluations know what you are trying to do and just reflect that then.
Well gunners try and psych out the top competition, so I guess you only see/ feel the gunnery if you are in the top competition. I guess the lowers do not see it and therefore, feel as if it doesnt exit. (make sense)

Well gunners try and psych out the top competition, so I guess you only see/ feel the gunnery if you are in the top competition. I guess the lowers do not see it and therefore, feel as if it doesnt exit. (make sense)

Your condescending attitude towards the "rest of mortals" or the "lowers" as you call them is just vomitive. I guess you are probably having a lot of fun trolling around, don't you? Dude, you'll be in for a rude awakening in the upcoming years.

I mean seriously, are you really this way or do you have an inferiority complex? Why do I even bother asking...a troll never tells the truth :thumbdown:

It's entertaining though, to make fun at you! :laugh:

Your condescending attitude towards the "rest of mortals" or the "lowers" as you call them is just vomitive. I guess you are probably having a lot of fun trolling around, don't you? Dude, you'll be in for a rude awakening in the upcoming years.

I mean seriously, are you really this way or do you have an inferiority complex? Why do I even bother asking...a troll never tells the truth :thumbdown:

It's entertaining though, to make fun at you! :laugh:
I doubt I will be awakened or see the light as you imagine. They do as I tell them /ask. Just as the workers outside of certain home-imprivement stores DO.
Ps. you are your "status" + "ly"

I doubt I will be awakened or see the light as you imagine. They do as I tell them /ask. Just as the workers outside of certain home-imprivement stores DO.
Ps. you are your "status" + "ly"

I have no idea of what you're trying to say. But I do know that I'm done with you and your thread.

I have no idea of what you're trying to say. But I do know that I'm done with you and your thread.
Good! You finally being obedient and doing as I told you....to leave!:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.