1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

why would a baby's arm turn red when a tourniqet is applied?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by oldman, May 8, 2002.

1. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i was trying to draw blood from a baby and when i put on the tourniqet on the the arm, it turned bright red instead of purple. why's that?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i've been a paramedic for five years and placed enormous amounts of tourniquets on all ages and nobody typically turns purple. I would think red would be more normal than purple? many people don't change color at all.

later

4. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Had you kept the tourniquet on long enough, the baby's arm would have indeed turned purple. This is a question of oxygen extraction. Remember that venous blood is still reasonably saturated (SvO2 is usually ~75%). With prolonged venous occlusion, more and more oxygen would be taken out of the blood to support local metabolism.

Hope this helps,
    doepug

5. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i know they will turn purple. this baby's arm just kept becoming more and more red. the med tech suggested it was due to jaundice, though i thought jaundice makes the baby look more orange than red.

6. trouserz

trouserz Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that this may hold little physiological relevance to the topic at hand, but does the fact that patients with preipheral vascular disease commonly get dependent rubor have anything at all with the topic at hand?