Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your primary, secondary, etc. reasons for pursuing a career as a dentist? How much motivation is from the prospect of doing extractions, root canals, implants, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

My primary reason is for the freedom dentistry allows. I currently work for two dentists as a hygienist and it is great for them when their kids have a big outing at school or sports we rearrange the schedule, or he has golf outing! I want that freedom. Hygienists are in GREAT demand here but I can't just have them cancel my day and not get a few nasty looks. My other reason is there is a wonderful feeling you get when you hear patients tell you how much they love to come to this particular dentist because he /she helped them save their teeth or their smile and we hear it alot. people come up to you in public to say hello and tell you they love coming tosee you. It is a great feeling, and these people are genuine!
I don't live in a huge city. the population is about 25,000. But I want to pursue a career in dentistry for those reasons. And in this town a lot of the dentists are in it because they love what they do. There are a few that don't but most do. The one dentist I work for is 68 and plans to practice until it affects his skill because he loves it and the people. Good luck at whatever you choose. I do believe if you like what you do it is never work, it is more like a hobby.