why? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I thought it'd be a cool thread to see why all of you chose to do medical education outside the US. Low scores? Wanderlust? Family in different countries?

For me, it's definitely the wanderlust. I knew even before I did a junior year abroad program that I'd consider international schooling, just didn't really know why. And then when I did JYA and just absolutely loved it, that sealed the decision. I think of it as a hobby...collecting different cultural experiences and meeting all walks of interesting people, can't get enough of it! I could do without the hours on the plane sure enough, though.

So why did you guys & gals chose to go elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished school in the Philippines! Boy, was it an experience!!! I ended up there because of many reasons. Yes, like most people that go abroad, I was unlucky getting into a US school. Because Of my dream, I took a big step and studied medicine in a third world country!!!! I LOVED IT!!!! The best decision of my life!!! I received a quality education with humility and developed true compassion!!! You do need to work harder and I often compared myself to my US counterparts. What I learned??? Medicine is medicine where ever you go. The focus may be a little different depending on the disease prevalance of the country, but you learn the basics... Its up to you to learn whats important in the States if you decide to come back. If you get into a program here, stay here and do a rotation in a different country (makes getting a residency less complicated), but if you really have your heart set on going abroad, GO FOR IT just be prepared to do alittle extra work!!! ;)

Well, I think in my case, it's a little of everything....

Yes, I am young and would like to experience the world a little bit, therefore, by going international, I combine my desire to experience life with my desire to go into medicine. Selfish reasons include the fact that right now I HATE WHAT I AM TAKING IN COLLEGE... no offence, but the pre-med life sux, I feel unfullfilled and do not enjoy what I am learning. Therefore, if I can jump into medicine right away, why not? Finall, just look at the medical situation in Canada... enough said... for now, time to sit back and wait for those rejection... I mean acceptance letters!

Members don't see this ad :)
For me it was "Father Time." I wasn't getting any younger, you know, while I waited and re/applied and retook the MCAT.

(Just as an aside, you know that they say the reason they -the US med schools- reject people with low MCATs is because they won't pass the USMLE... Well, that's BS because I passed mine as well as any US student, so there! Step 2, here I come!)

I tried applying for four years to get into a US school, and once made it to "alternate" status, but never was accepted. Finally I decided that my callling was to be a doctor (as corny as it sounds, it's true), because the feeling would keep returning. I decided that I would not be held back. Then the next decision had to made regarding *where* to go. Since I was living in CA, and want to do residency and practice there, I chose UAG (in Mexico) -- for two main reason -- to improve my Spanish, and because I have 3 dogs for whom a trip to the Caribbean would have been difficult. Make that three reasons -- UAG (and all students/USIMGs who go to school in Mexico) can do the 5th Pathway and avoid having to be ECFMG certified to enter a residency.

Now I'm almost done (one rotation to go) with the first half of the third year, and looking forward to more! Although there are drawbacks to living/schooling in a foreign country (there always are), overall, I find this to be a great experience - and the food is great, too...

well, besides the obvious reason of not getting in to the US schools, i think the opportunity to get more than just a medical education for a lower price than an American medical education made it a simple choice.

going abroad is great, and i think that too many US rejects look to the caribean. to me, that is just a quick way back, and i do not like the stigma. don't get me wrong, i think the region can and does produce great physicians, and i realize that they are also probably the safest route to a good USMLE score. but, i think the rejection is a great opportunity to learn a new style of medicine, a new language and immerse yourself in a new culture. all of these things will help you as a doctor.

so, all you future IMG's out there, do not despair. this has been a great journey for me, i am getting a top notch education in a University setting, the parties are great and the women beautiful. i forgot why i even wanted to go to a US school.

Agree, neilc. I'm not applying internationally cuz of rejections or bad scores, but honestly, I cannot stay in the US for med ed. I mean, it's so intense and unreasonably time-consuming when it doesn't need to be, not to mention competitive. Just a different class of people...love the european attitude. Wouldn't have found that out if I hadn't done JYA last year. I mean, they learn just as much as we do, work as hard - but the systems are so different, that they get to PARTY AND do extracurriculars and pretty much doss around when they want. But still prioritize their studies. It's cool how it works. I can't stay here after slaving for the last 4 years (well, 3 years really) just to slave for another 4 years and sacrifice the other stuff I'm passionate about :). And for all the frat stereotypes...the parties are just not as good!