Why's SDN working like ****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avgn

Lv 30, HP 85
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is the Javascript on SDN working like crap? Is it due to the SSL beta testing? Everything loads really slow and every js function either takes forever to run (e.g., making a post/checking notifications) or doesn't run at all. Even when I click threads sometimes it just redirects back to the forums homepage.

WTH is going on? Restructuring the site?

Members don't see this ad.

It's working fine for me, even on my phone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is the Javascript on SDN working like crap? Is it due to the SSL beta testing? Everything loads really slow and every js function either takes forever to run (e.g., making a post/checking notifications) or doesn't run at all. Even when I click threads sometimes it just redirects back to the forums homepage.

I was having this problem a few weeks ago, but it somehow resolved on its own :shrug:

What's SSL?
Secure Sockets Layer. It's a method of encrypting server connections to websites so that the stuff we do on this site is encrypted!

It's working fine for me, even on my phone.
It's virtually unusable on my phone, which indicates to me it's something to do with the servers/js. My iPhone has never had a problem with the SDN app until yesterday when the site started being wonky too

Occasionally it goes very very slow on my phone and i get an error. On Chrome browser in my laptop, it works fine. I figure it's a temporary issue that should be resolved soon.

Last edited:
:shrug: I gave up on this site running smoothly when the 'Alerts' stopped showing a list when you moused over...you have to manually check the 'Latest Alerts' page, which defeats the purpose of even having the Alerts notice.

Sometimes the site is slow. Sometimes it won't load. Usually it fixes itself reasonably quickly.

:shrug: I gave up on this site running smoothly when the 'Alerts' stopped showing a list when you moused over...you have to manually check the 'Latest Alerts' page, which defeats the purpose of even having the Alerts notice.

Sometimes the site is slow. Sometimes it won't load. Usually it fixes itself reasonably quickly.

I could mouse over my alerts very easily on Chrome browser :shrug:

You should update your Java, then. Alerts work..they're just sometimes slow to show up when you mouse over

You should update your Java, then. Alerts work..they're just sometimes slow to show up when you mouse over
Java is updated. Doesn't work on ANY computer for me, ever. Hasn't since their last major update.
Doesn't work in Chrome, doesn't work in Firefox, doesn't work when I'm forced to use Safari on my family's Mac. :shrug:

You need to upgrade your toaster. SDN is working fine.
toaster_mod_6.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to upgrade your toaster. SDN is working fine.
Bruh I don't think my Mac needs upgrading with its 2.7 quad core/1TB SSD/16GB RAM configuration
Must be a js issue on my end. Got it. Thanks all

I had this problem, its a pretty easy fix, but it depends on your browser type.

Go to "more tools"
Select "JavaScript Launcher"
This will pull up the window.
Head to the "elements" tab
Near the bottom, there should be another tab at the bottom called "Properties" Click on it
Click on the "Node" tab
Scroll down a bit and you'll see that Element_Node is set to 1.
Try changing this value to "Wumbo", it should fix the problem.

Hope this helped!

I see you are a Mac user, so I should probably explain that my post was a joke, and you in fact cannot download more RAM.

@avgn - try the steps below. I was having trouble on my MacBook Pro R (15", 2014) and found everything ran slow. Did the control + Apple + Shift + Power button, held it for 10 seconds and rebooted computer - worked like a champ. Everything runs fine now.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
In some situations you might need to reset your computer's System Management Controller (SMC). Learn how to identify these conditions and to reset the SMC on Intel-based Macs.

Before resetting the SMC
You should only do an SMC reset after you've tried all other standard troubleshooting. Try each of the following steps in this order beforeyou reset the SMC. Test the issue after completing each troubleshooting step to see if the issue still occurs.

1. Press Command-Option-Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
  2. Put your Mac to sleep by clicking the Apple () menu and choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
  3. Restart your Mac by choosing Restart from the Apple menu.
  4. Shut down your Mac by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu.
  5. If your Mac isn't responding, force the computer to shut down by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds. Note that you'll lose any unsaved work in any open applications.
If you're using a Mac notebook and it's having issues related to power or the battery:

1. Unplug the power adapter from your Mac and from the wall power socket for several seconds.
  2. Shutdown your Mac.
  3. Physically remove and re-insert the battery (if it's removable)
  4. Restart your computer.
If the issue still isn't resolved after following these steps, you might need to reset the SMC. See the indicators and steps below.

Indicators
After performing normal troubleshooting, these symptoms may indicate that an SMC reset could be necessary.

Fans
  • The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.
Lights
  • The keyboard backlight appears to behave incorrectly (on Mac computers that have this feature).
  • The Status Indicator Light (SIL) appears to behave incorrectly (on Mac computers that have an SIL).
  • Battery indicator lights, if present, appear to behave incorrectly (on portables that use non-removable batteries).
  • The display backlight doesn't respond correctly to ambient light changes on Mac computers that have this feature.
Power
  • The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.
  • A portable Mac doesn't appear to respond properly when you close or open the lid.
  • The computer sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.
  • The battery does not appear to be charging properly.
  • The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity.
System performance
  • The computer is running unusually slowly although it is not experiencing abnormally high CPU utilization.
  • Application icons may "bounce" in the Dock for an extended amount of time when launched.
  • Applications may not function correctly or may stop responding after being opened.
Video
  • A computer that supports target display mode does not switch into or out of target display mode as expected.
  • A computer that supports target display mode switches into or out of target display mode at unexpected times.
Port illumination
How to reset the SMC
See the appropriate section below for your Mac notebook or desktop computer.

On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery
Mac notebook computers that have a battery you should not remove include: MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

On Mac notebooks with removable battery
Older MacBook and MacBook Pro computers have removable batteries. Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

To reset the SMC:

2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for five seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
On Mac Pro, iMac, Mac mini, and Xserve
To reset the SMC on Intel-based Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac mini computers, as well as Xserve:

2. Unplug the power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

This is what I did:

Portable Macs without removable batteries

• Shut down the Mac.
  • Ensure that the Mac is plugged into a power source.
  • While the Mac is turned off, press and hold the Shift, Control and Option keys, as well as the Power button.
  • Release all four keys at the same time (note: the Mac should not power on when performing this task).
  • Press the power button to turn the Mac back on.

Wait, so if alerts work for everyone else, how do I get them working for me again?!?

@Ad2b Thanks but an SMC reset won't do anything for me. This is a site-specific XenForo (the system that runs SDN's UI) problem..I looked into the Javascript console and found the error. Thanks for the tip, though. SMC/PRAM resets fix a lot of stuff, but I'm only having problems in my browser on this website grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Maybe it is a sign that I should stop checking it so often lolz

Alert preferences maybe? They've always worked for me.
I never changed my prefs...the mouseover just stopped working around the time of the last update. I thought maybe SDN did away with it. I was sad, but accepted it. Now I'm just irritated that I've been doing without my favorite feature for no reason!

I clicked around and figured it out...mouseover alerts don't work in the SDN Universal style, so I have to choose: lose the mouseover alerts and look pretty, or regain my favorite UI feature at the cost of using an eye-damagingly ugly skin.

Conundrum.

I clicked around and figured it out...mouseover alerts don't work in the SDN Universal style, so I have to choose: lose the mouseover alerts and look pretty, or regain my favorite UI feature at the cost of using an eye-damagingly ugly skin.

Conundrum.
Ugh, just looked at universal, it looks like garbage.

@avgn - I was having the same issue with SDN until I did what I posted. Glad to know you found a different culprit :)

To be honest, I don't think any of the skin options are that great.

There. I said it.

Ugh, just looked at universal, it looks like garbage.
Disagree. I think the blues look like garbage. Universal is the only one that looks like anyone even ATTEMPTED to format it. The others feel like I'm sifting through an Excel spreadsheet.

I actually like Universal...the spacing is nice and the buttons stand out in color.
To be honest, I really dislike the wide-screen feel on the SDN Blue.

I liked whatever they had mid 2011.
I agree...to me Universal feels most like that. It keeps everything centered in the page instead of flopped across the whole thing.

The other is like when you're typing in Word and you change the view so you can't see the outline of the paper anymore...drives me nuts!