Quantcast

WICHE applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlawrence

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everyone,
I really need some advice about WICHE. I am a California resident (though I did my undergrad in Maine and doing an MPH in Dublin, Ireland for the past year) and my top choice medical school is the Univeristy of North Dakota. I know it says on the website that non- ND residents are discouraged from applying but they reserve up to six seats for WICHE applicants. Has anyone utilized this programme? The WICHE website is really difficult to understand and I can't figure out if I am qualified for the programme but I haven't lived in California for five years and am really disappointed it is hurting my chances of getting into certain medical schools in the midwest, as that is where I'm aiming to go.
Thank you for all the advice!

tlawrence

Reaction score
California is one of the participating WICHE states though..?

JRG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A WICHE applicant is an applicant from a WICHE state without a medical school. You won't qualify.

+1 most participating schools only see Montana and Wyoming residents as wiche applicants for MD. Some also look more preferentially at Idaho and Alaska residents. Sorry, I hear being a Cali resident definitely has its drawbacks when applying.

MT Headed

snow, PBR, and bears
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

http://www.wiche.edu/psep

Take a look at the chart at the bottom. It lists each profession (allo, vet, osteo, pod, etc) and the states that are allowed to send students to other states. With allopathic medicine for instance, MT and WY are the only sending states. For DO and the other professions it is different.

Also, if you go to the UND website, they only accept students from ND, MT, and a small slice of MN located just across the border.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

You're confusing the terms. You can be from a WICHE-participating state without being a WICHE applicant. For medical school, a WICHE applicant is an applicant certified as being a resident of a WICHE state without a medical school. There's no benefit to being from a WICHE-participating state with a medical school.

tlawrence

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the help everyone.. I really appreciate it. That cleared up a lot for me. It's really frustrating that California residents (and other state residents as well) are limited by their state. I have no interest in moving back to California and after attending college in Maine for four years, I would like to attend medical school in the mid west in a similiar sort of environment and all the state schools limit their out of state applicant spots.. Is anyone else having this problem?

TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the help everyone.. I really appreciate it. That cleared up a lot for me. It's really frustrating that California residents (and other state residents as well) are limited by their state. I have no interest in moving back to California and after attending college in Maine for four years, I would like to attend medical school in the mid west in a similiar sort of environment and all the state schools limit their out of state applicant spots.. Is anyone else having this problem?

There are many private med schools in the midwest that do not preferentially accept in-state students. Is there a reason you seem to be considering only state schools?

Brachyury

Reaction score
North Dakota has a strong economy right now; you could move to the state, get a job, and establish residency.