Wiche

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cunikki

SCCO 2009
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi; i was wondering if any other western state kids were looking at wiche to help pay for their tuition ... i was counting on getting that to go to either berkeley or scco.. depending on which i got into or like more.. (didnt apply to pacific) and i went on an interview last weekend to scco and found out that berkeley no longer participates in it anymore; has anyone else found out any info about this??? it has suddenly made my options shrink by half?? wondering if i should even still go out to interview at berkeley...
any thoughts;???

Members don't see this ad.

cunikki said:
hi; i was wondering if any other western state kids were looking at wiche to help pay for their tuition ... i was counting on getting that to go to either berkeley or scco.. depending on which i got into or like more.. (didnt apply to pacific) and i went on an interview last weekend to scco and found out that berkeley no longer participates in it anymore; has anyone else found out any info about this??? it has suddenly made my options shrink by half?? wondering if i should even still go out to interview at berkeley...
any thoughts;???

I'm from Idaho, and from what I understand, Idaho will award the WICHE deal to the top two candidates from the state that are accepted to opt school. SCCO told me that there were six (?) Idaho WICHE students applying to their program. I am not sure how your state ranks the Optometry students that apply for WICHE....I think the state education office contacts the optometry schools and your undergraduate school to figure this out. This doesn't answer your question, but, regarding Berkeley, I think you should find out how long it would take establish in-state tuition. When I was applying to colleges in california, I found out that Cal State Universities will give you in state tuition after one year and UCs will give you in state tuition after 3 years. it might have changed by now. It would help to go to the interview at Berkeley and ask the financial aid people about your situation.

Hello:

Berkeley will give you in-state tuition after you live in CA for one year. It isn’t too hard to get CA residency – open a bank account here, register to vote, register your car (if you have one), etc. My classmate got CA residency this year and didn’t have too much of a problem.

If you are 100% sure that even with CA residency you cannot afford to attend Berkeley, I would reconsider coming to the interview. The cost of coming to Berkeley for the interview (plane tickets, car rental, hotel reservations, etc.) will be better spent going to a school that there is a possibility you can attend. You won’t get a financial aid presentation during the interview from what I remember. I believe you only get a print-out of the expected cost and everything is handled by the campus’ financial aid office at Sproul Hall. I don’t think we have financial aid people at our school specifically. You can probably talk to someone in the admissions office about your situation but most likely they will just direct you to the main financial aid office.

Best wishes,

Rosanna