Wierd question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doster112

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i just wanted an honest opinion. If i participated in amateur combat sports, would that be something that i would include in any part of an application or if i ever got an interview that it would be something i would discuss?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd only mention it if you won some kind of tournament. For example, I defeated Shao Kahn a while back and prevented an invasion from the Outworld.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought from the inside:

As an SOP Admin, I wouldn't tell you to leave out any activity to which you were seriously part of. Your ECs are part of who you are.

Also, you never know what might resonate with a reader. I had a friend in grad school who was in law school, right in the middle of the class academically, who was applying for clerking internships. The ONLY reason that he got an interview (and ending up with a clerking job) was because he listed on his resume that he was a licensed stuntman, a certification he earned because of theatre roles he had played. The partner at the firm who was in charge of internships was curious and wanted to meet a stuntman. He got his foot in the door, then talked his way into a position.

The moral: you never know what interests of your will catch the curiosity of someone on the other side of the decision-making process.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Assoc. Dean
Belmont USOP

I would. In fact, I've been involved in martial arts for years and I listed it. I was in clubs/taught a class so I listed it as an extracurricular and a leadership position. It shows that you are well-rounded and not just a studying robot. I wouldn't make it a huge focus or anything, but if you are asked to list extracurriculars, go ahead and put it down.

This probably got me rejected from Jefferson. They asked about hobbies, and once I told them that I was a Mets Fan, and that I hated all the sports teams in Philadelphia.
Lol..you cant be serious. thank you for all your replies. Im gonna add it because it was a factor in my life for a while and something i really enjoyed. It wasnt UFC(mma) to who ever asked. Its muay thai(thai boxing), but we have guys that do the mma at our gym training their stand up.

I was a contestant on the ultimate fighter and I am a BJJ black belt and I made it into pharmacy school. It was a topic that was brought up during my interview too.