Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Wife and Kids...Disclosure?

Discussion in 'Orthopaedic Surgery' started by jandles, Mar 24, 2007.

1. jandles

jandles New Member

Medical Student
    I am applying this fall and was curious if any of you on the interview trail got a feel for whether programs consider having a family as being a strength or a weakness. I have asked a few people and got mixed responses. I am married with two kids, should I make sure it is well known or not mention it unless asked?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PediBoneDoc

Attending Physician
    family should not be an issue. you should disclose you have them, possibly in the application. i think there is a spot for that on the ERAS application, maybe the other section.

i don't think programs discriminate based on family. programs will look at family as a reason the applicant may or may not come to a particular area. for instance, you and your wife's family is from small town mississippi; you probably are not looking to move to new york or LA.

family for me is a plus, especially for men. gives them stability.

4. dpmd

dpmd Relaxing
    Physician

Attending Physician
    The technical answer is that you are not allowed to be asked about your marital status or children (on ERAS or in the interview for those programs that use ERAS). That said, I wore my wedding ring to interviews and when it was noticed I was asked if I was married (and a couple times I was asked about kids-but I'm a woman so that might make a difference in their level of interest in that fact). I think it was a positive thing when I was interviewing at my husband's alma mater, and a nonissue elsewhere (once I let them know he was willing to move and his job was needed in their area). There are possibly advantages and disadvantages, but unless your wife or kids play an integral role in your desire to be an orthopod I don't think it should be in your application or personal statement. If they are a reason you want to go to a program (her family nearby, she is about to be transferred there for a job, etc.) you can mention it to them, otherwise I would just see if they bring it up.

If you were told it was a terrible disadvantage to have a wife or children, would you lie when asked? Or tell them they aren't allowed to ask that?

5. Debridement

Debridement Member

It is neither a strength nor a weakness. Res ipsa loquitor. The fact speaks for itself. I doubt you would willingly hide it, because it defines you, and as you will come to see, will guide your choices in the process.

It is likely that you are going to seek out programs that have a flavor that suits your palate. This flavor will be one that is family-oriented, and less frat/single oriented. As you start to ask around, visit and go on the interview trail, these differences will become obvious.

Programs are different and you will find one that suits you and your family. Don't worry--there are boatloads of great family-friendly programs.

6. dontstuddy

dontstuddy Member

So, then which programs are known to be family friendly?

7. Debridement

Debridement Member

check out www.osrr.org

there is lots of discussion there that addresses this.

best of luck,

DB for life, DB out