wiki, commons, radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jizzledizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think everyone is aware of wikipedia and the concept of commons pictures; the idea that some pictures are released of copyright issues and can be used by anyone for anything.

Translating this idea to radiology, Does anyone know of a radiology specific commons? X-rays of limbs, free CTs etc?

Go rads!

Members don't see this ad.

No one is aware of a free collection of radiology images?

Members don't see this ad :)
But.... may I use the images as I please? May I alter them, use them in a teaching tool... I suppose these questions are best answered by someone aware of copyright...

cite your sources... u still in undergrad? are you going to be trying to profit from these images?

With proper citation and use in educational situations that are not selling their work for profit, you can use them. If you were to start using images for some online review course that charged students, then you'd have to get permission from the content creators.

The major things are citing the source and not making money. If in doubt, contact the creators of the content and ask.

I'd worry about HIPAA first before I'd worry about copyright - if you're looking for DICOM images make sure they're stripped of all identifiable information.

I'm in medical school... HIPPA is a major consideration. And yes I was planning for profit (to cover expenses)