Wildlife rescue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polevaultgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in wildlife rescue and rehabilitation, and I'm wondering if there are many opportunities in that for veterinarians. Also, have any of you been able to do volunteer work in things like wildlife rescue and rehabilitation while in college? Anything you guys can tell me would be appreciated!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1374957141.496265.jpg
Stuff like this, especially with abandoned babies like this.

Members don't see this ad.

The vet I worked for did pro bono work for a wildlife rescue and sanctuary. So I assisted with all of that.On my days off (or evenings too) I would go to the rescue and help too, I got a decent amount of hours for that too. So in my experience yes, there opportunities. As far has volunteering etc while doing undergrad, you have plenty of time to do pretty much whatever you want. You just have to budget your time and plan accordingly :)

If you look up the National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association you can find a wildlife center near you that may allow you to volunteer.

I should note that while some vets work in wildlife rehab, most is done by wildlife rehabbers which is a different career track.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are not a ton of full time jobs for vets in wildlife rehabilitation, since a lot of places do not have the funds for a full time vet. There definitely are some full jobs though (but they don't pay very much at all).

I'm in college and I volunteer at a wildlife hospital (a very big one with two full time vets) and I love it! You definitely will be able to find some opportunities to work with wildlife either with a hospital or a rehabber, but depending in where you are you may have to drive a bit (most of the hospitals I know of are in more "rural" suburban areas as opposed to cities or very rural places). If you're interested in becoming a wildlife vet you should definitely try and get involved at a wildlife hospital! They usually love volunteers and it's so much fun.

Last edited:
I should note that while some vets work in wildlife rehab, most is done by wildlife rehabbers which is a different career track.

What would the schooling, work, and pay (approx) be for wildlife rehab?

Also, what do you guys know about working as a zoo veterinarian?

Zoo med is extremely competitive. From what I've found rehabbers make around $30,000 a year (I have no idea how accurate these numbers are though). They really don't make a lot since they're almost always working for a non profit organization and rely on donations. Many rehabbers also don't work for an organization and do rehabilitation in their own and don't receive an income. You usually do not go through a school to receive training, but instead go to classes or training/internships and get your permit to rehab.

Is rehabilitation considered a full-time job? Or could I have a "day job" working as a vet in a clinic and then do rehab work for "fun". (Sorry for the wording, but you get the general idea)

Is rehabilitation considered a full-time job? Or could I have a "day job" working as a vet in a clinic and then do rehab work for "fun". (Sorry for the wording, but you get the general idea)

I'm sure places wouldn't object to having free help from a licensed professional, no less.

As for the zoo thing, I think puppyloompa is right. From what I've heard both zoo med residencies, and zoo vet jobs are pretty rare and competitive. I once heard it joked that the best way to find a job at a zoo was by offing one of the current on staff vets. Try for it if you wish, but I'd bank on having a plan B you'll be happy with. I'd suggest worrying about getting into vet school before worrying about residencies and the like though.

Also, there's no need to triple post the same question like that...People here will answer, just be patient...

Also, there's no need to triple post the same question like that...People here will answer, just be patient...

That was a total mistake, I was in crappy wifi and didn't realize that I'd posted the first two

I'm very interested in wildlife rescue and rehabilitation, and I'm wondering if there are many opportunities in that for veterinarians. Also, have any of you been able to do volunteer work in things like wildlife rescue and rehabilitation while in college? Anything you guys can tell me would be appreciated!

View attachment 24557
Stuff like this, especially with abandoned babies like this.

It's one of the most rewarding things I have done as a pre-vet student -- I've done home care with opossums, racoons, eastern cotton tails. I've fed foxes, deer, baby skunks etc - I just LOVE going in and being there. I would say volunteer or intern at a Wildlife hospital in your area. Our chief vet actually started the hospital in his garage and it flourished, its really well known.

I think the best thing to do at this point is volunteer at a wildlife rehab center - most run off of donations and welcome volunteers. You can get an idea of the daily work and ask questions about making it a career. You can also ask to shadow on days that their vet is around and ask the vet about doing rehab work on the side. But being an actual rehabber isn't exactly easy to manage with a full time job - babies need to be fed ridiculously frequently ;)

I volunteered at a wildlife rehabilitation center the summer of my senior year of high school and LOVED it. I took care of orphan babies from rabbits to hawks and foxes. I got my NYS wildlife rehabilitation licence the following year and although I don't have much time to dedicate to it I am still listed on the website and mostly answer questions, refer people to other rehabbers and take in the occasional squirrel or rabbit if I have time.

I know most of the centers I have worked with do not have a full time vet instead they have vets that own their own practices and will consult or do surgeries at their facilities as needed. The rehabbers I have worked with have multiple jobs and work A LOT of hours to make ends meet but it was a non-profit center and they made very little money.

I think the bottom line is that yes, there are full-time vet positions in rehab, and yes, there are full-time vet positions in zoo med ... but both those occupations are extremely limited in terms of income and positions available. So you need to go into it with both eyes wide open to that.

If you're really set on it, then you do what people have always done in competitive fields: you be super competitive to give yourself a shot. You start now on the path to accumulating a crap-ton of experience, connections, and knowledge. In the end, the people that love it so much that they're constantly reading about it, volunteering, etc., are going to be the ones that get the good jobs.

If you're only so-so set on it, or you think "gee that would be kinda cool" then it might be best to consider another field, or consider doing it as a volunteer, or whatever. If you want to do it because you think hand-feeding a fawn is neat ... why not just volunteer?

I volunteered in wildlife rehab for a year before vet school at the MN Wildlife Rehab Center. I think we were a little unusual in our size .. we had two full-time vets, two full-time CVTs, externs, volunteers, full-time staff, a hospital with multiple wards, a well-stocked treatment and surgery, etc. It was larger than most small animal clinics. I don't think your typical rehab center is that well-equipped/staffed.

I dunno. It's just such a limited field that I'm hard-pressed to see making it a full-time gig that supports your life unless you're one of those few people who just really, really love it and make it their entire life.

My vet school had a wildlife medical clinic where I have been volunteering at for the past couple years. It runs 100% off donations and volunteer help. The space it is in now was donated by the school, which is just a couple of small rooms in the basement with kennels and bank cages. We have a surgery table (But not a separate sterile surgery ward) to do simple, non-invasive surgeries in there and the ones that are invasive go into separate suites with different departments. We keep animals during the time they have medical issues and once they are cleared of it they are sent to a local wildlife rehabiliator.

All of our supplies are donated by the school or bought with our donations. The entire clinic is student run - which means that students make the decisions regarding the fate of the animal and what treatment plans to follow. We go to veterinarians for their expertise and medical knowledge when we are unsure about what to do.

The veterinarians that help out in the clinic are professors in zoo med/exotics and are volunteering their own time to be there and use it as a teaching opportunity for vet students, interns, and residents.

All in all it is a wonderful teaching opportunity for everyone. It is more along the lines of wildlife rehabilitation rather than medicine however, I will explain.

I had the opportunity to meet some wildlife vets in South Africa who taught me about wildlife medicine. Their jobs are 90% research and 10% clinical. They spend their time tracking populations, disease spread, etc. They only do clinical stuff when the injury on the animal was human inflicted (ie poachers). They are the real definition of wildlife veterinarian. They usually work for the government, these vets for example worked in Kruger National Park. But like others said, their positions are very limited.

My Point: Yes it is possible to have a career in wildlife medicine or even zoo med, but like others said, the positions are VERY limited, and many people who are interested in wildlife end up in exotic animal medicine and work on people's pets - which is rewarding if you enjoy the clinical setting.