Will a bad Step 2 outing ruin my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMRWannabe

Just a Wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time posting so I'm sorry if this is addressed elsewhere. I was just wondering the consensus on whether a low but still passing (191) Step 2 CK score will ruin my chances of getting into a strong program. I did better on Step 1 and already have about 12 interviews scheduled but will the new score bring me down in the rankings?

Just a PMR Wannabe... for now ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Well it all depends on which 12 programs u got interview offers from? If u had hopes of RIC or JFK, then to be honest a 191 wouldnt help....but i wouldnt sweat it.

PMRWannabe said:
Hi, this is my first time posting so I'm sorry if this is addressed elsewhere. I was just wondering the consensus on whether a low but still passing (191) Step 2 CK score will ruin my chances of getting into a strong program. I did better on Step 1 and already have about 12 interviews scheduled but will the new score bring me down in the rankings?

PMRWannabe said:

Step 2 is not as important as other factors like your dean's letter, letters of rec from PM&R docs, your evals from your PM&R rotations, research, publications, etc. I think it's a small piece of the puzzle and since you already have interviews, you can explain your score if asked, and if not, emphasize your strengths. Step 1, grades, and other "paper" factors get you in the door to get interviews, and then it's really up to your personality and interview skills to get ranked at programs.

that's my 2cents.