Chances of matching with low Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birb56

Reaction score
I'm a USMD who didn't match into gas this past cycle and have been planning TY year around another specialty that I might enjoy as much. I can get letters and other parts of my application worked out but problem is, I don't think my step scores put me in a good position. My step1/2 scores are 211/239. I saw that PMR this past cycle was more competitive (though covid and the EM debacle could have affected it) but there are more spots added every year if that makes a difference. Is it worth a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a big thing with PM&R is the commitment to the specialty. That doesn't mean, however, that an individual has no shot if they figure out late that they are interested. I think your board scores are fine, but board scores are just one item to help you get your foot in the door for an interview, you'll also need letters that advocate for your to do PM&R, a good personal statement, etc. It is nice to also have "experience" in the field: PM&R rotations (both inpatient and outpatient), community service (adaptive sports, Special Olympics, sports event coverage), medical societies (AAPM&R is free for students, as is AANEM. I believe AAP costs a little bit), networking at conferences (the same aforementioned societies), research (anything from case reports all the way to double-blinded, etc, studies), and publications from that research.

I think you first need to ask yourself: why PM&R? What aspect(s) do you like about PM&R? Do you like the patient population (everything from sports injuries to chronic pain patients to traumatic brain/spinal cord injuries to children with disabilities to amputees)? What is your end goal, fellowship/general?

Reactions: 1 user
Your scores are a little low, but they’re not horrible. Agree with @JBM16BYU that you have to find a way to communicate your interest and dedication to the specialty. It would be good to have a plan B in a less competitive specialty but I wouldn’t give up on PM&R quite yet. You must apply broadly if you re-apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a USMD who didn't match into gas this past cycle and have been planning TY year around another specialty that I might enjoy as much. I can get letters and other parts of my application worked out but problem is, I don't think my step scores put me in a good position. My step1/2 scores are 211/239. I saw that PMR this past cycle was more competitive (though covid and the EM debacle could have affected it) but there are more spots added every year if that makes a difference. Is it worth a shot?
My scores are worse than yours and I interviewed at every top 10 program and matched at a historical top 1-3 spot, granted I had a unique life story and strong connection to help. So the scores arent the best but can be overcome .It’s the commitment to the field. So work on that

Last edited:
From a paper standpoint, I would see you as someone who is looking at PMR as a back door to pain. Whether that is true or not I don’t know. But I would expect you to make a great impression on why you want to do PM&R and really prove it.

Board scores are used as a screening tool and usually nothing more than that. I agree with the other posts.

From a paper standpoint, I would see you as someone who is looking at PMR as a back door to pain. Whether that is true or not I don’t know. But I would expect you to make a great impression on why you want to do PM&R and really prove it.

Board scores are used as a screening tool and usually nothing more than that. I agree with the other posts.
Just matched PM&R this last cycle, I know this is late but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I have slightly above average board scores and board scores were way more important than I thought... I know someone who wanted Derm and applied to PM&R as a backup. She had 245+ step scores and very little exposure to PM&R. I believe no formal rotations prior to 4th year. Matched to a top tier PM&R program. I cannot believe it was anything other than her scores that allowed this.

I heard from many people who had matched in years prior that "you just need to show interest in the field and you'll match no problem." Let me tell you, those years are gone.. PM&R is no longer "slightly more competitive than FM or IM." Myself and several other friends found the application cycle to be very challenging.

I am not saying this to scare you, but to give you the best shot possible. Get exposure to the field, crank out a few publications, get strong LORs, have a good story to tell in your personal statement and on the interview trail and you can make up for the bad board scores. But don't be fooled into thinking that PM&R is the lazy man's specialty to match into.

Reactions: 2 users