Will a high C/P and B/BC offset a low CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CastleG8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For instance say I have:
C/P of 128 - (87 percentile) ~ 11 on old scale.
B/BC of 130 - (97 percentile) ~ 12 old scale.
CARS of 123 - (37 percentile) ~ 7 old scale.
P/S of 126 - (67 percentile)
507 - 76 percentile (old scale 73-percentile is a 29 and 79-percentile is 30)

For my dream school:
Physical Sciences 10 Median accepted
Biological Sciences 10 Median accepted
Verbal Reasoning 10 Median accepted - 8 is 10th Percentile of accepted.

I have many things they claim to give special considerations for such as Low SES, Veteran, First gen graduate both parents dropouts. Primary Care Interest, shadowed physicians in rural undeserved in an area with median household incomes of about 13K.

Without turning this too much into a WAMC, is this one VR section of the MCAT enough to make everything else fall apart? I wish I could be a perfect applicant, but I fell short in one area. Does anyone know if they make exceptions in some cases or it is usually a strict rejection? I will try calling them Monday, but this has been weighing on my mind a lot.
My LizzyM score is enough that the example school shows up in schools that are a fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your profile looks strong overall. It's a crapshoot to some extent when comparing old scores to new scores in the admissions process, because there is little data available showing how much the new MCAT impacts admissions. The most logical thing to do is what you've done by correlating old score to new score (although I believe you would have gotten a 13 on the old BS). It would seem that admissions committees are still figuring it out like the rest of us.

It is anything but complete in terms of data analysis, but our students in the >515 range have been getting stellar results with their applications. Our students in the 507 to 514 range have been doing quite well (many accepted with some stressed out on waitlists). We have some students in the application pool in the 500-506 range, and their results have not been too promising so far (waitlisted or rejected in most cases). It's only early May, so the admissions percentages will drift up as people get off the waitlist. But as with old scores, it seems that your score is definitely acceptable at many schools, no matter where CARS may lie. Our students generally get their best scores in the C/P and B/BC sections, which sits well with admissions process from what we can conclude.

There will be some schools that paper screen you out based on the CARS score, but not too many. As strong as your application sounds and as humbly as you've presented here (which bodes extremely well for the interview process), you seem like you should be fine.

Good luck with your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I would just be worried about auto screen out on your MCAT. I'f you are gonna keep the score, make sure to look up if the school auto screens under a certain MCAT section score.

I would just be worried about auto screen out on your MCAT. I'f you are gonna keep the score, make sure to look up if the school auto screens under a certain MCAT section score.
I would just hate to be auto screened at a school where my MCAT is right at their MCAT average for matriculated students. I would be at their 90th percentile in one section but under 10th percentile in another. =(
I went cycling around their campus the other night. Dang.

Reactions: 1 user