Will AADSAS "view source" trick work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oclor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who don't know, for previous cycles if you go to your status page on aadsas, right click somewhere and click view page source or frame source, then you open up a window that may have info not on the actual page. People saw "offer made" and stuff like that before Dec. 1.

So does anyone know if this will still work this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

if it's in the source code, it will be on the page. don't waste your time.

oclor is correct, during the last cycle the aadsas website changed a few days before dec 1, if you viewed the html source you could see the updated status. Some of those included "offer made".

Members don't see this ad :)
keep reading last year's thread. they fixed it.

You know everybody is still going to try it!!!:rolleyes:
I know I am...

I think it doesn't work so wait for December ;)

Nothing in the source for me =(

It's great to see so many willing to violate the integrity of the system...

If I had offered an acceptance to an applicant I would totally re-evaluate my decision if they pulled something like that.

If I had offered an acceptance to an applicant I would totally re-evaluate my decision if they pulled something like that.
ha ha ha

here comes the moral police.. how can someone like that become a good dentist?

What a queer.

Pirates or Ninjas? clearly Pirates win.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a queer.

A. Rude and uncalled for... but whatever.

B. It happened to nearly an entire class of Harvard MBA applicants (100+) a few years ago (granted it was a few weeks earlier than we are at). Schools have absolutely no problem scrapping an entire class, and I just wanted to voice that.

here comes the moral police.. how can someone like that become a good dentist?

It's not a question of whether or not they can become a good dentist. The question is why would admissions keep them accepted when there are plenty of competitive numbers at the brink of the list that weren't involved.

I just think you're giving them no reason to trust you by doing so. If that causes me to be a "queer", so be it.

"whoo hoo, let's find out early!" Doesn't change anything, not worth it.

Last edited:
A. Rude and uncalled for... but whatever.

B. It happened to nearly an entire class of Harvard MBA applicants (100+) a few years ago (granted it was a few weeks earlier than we are at). Schools have absolutely no problem scrapping an entire class, and I just wanted to voice that.

It's not a question of whether or not they can become a good dentist. The question is why would admissions keep them accepted when there are plenty of competitive numbers at the brink of the list that weren't involved.

I just think you're giving them no reason to trust you by doing so. If that causes me to be a "queer", so be it.

"whoo hoo, let's find out early!" Doesn't change anything, not worth it.

You are upset because some students are anxious to know if they have been accepted or not? We've worked our entire lives for this, and you want an admissions officer to say screw you because you utilized the resources you have to figure out if you have been accepted or not?

It is not our fault if the AADSAS website has flaws in it that can be exploited. We didn't hack the website, break any passwords, or do anything illegal. Last year, simply put people were resourceful and figured out a little trick to find out information a few days earlier.

If anything, that is the type of dentist I want. Someone who thinks on their feet, utilizes their resources, and thinks outside the box. Bravo to whoever figured out the source code error last year. Now that AADSAS has fixed it though, we are forced to wait til Dec 1st. However, if anyone does find a way to figure out before Dec 1st that isn't illegal, I applaud you as well.

You are upset because some students are anxious to know if they have been accepted or not? We've worked our entire lives for this, and you want an admissions officer to say screw you because you utilized the resources you have to figure out if you have been accepted or not?

It is not our fault if the AADSAS website has flaws in it that can be exploited. We didn't hack the website, break any passwords, or do anything illegal. Last year, simply put people were resourceful and figured out a little trick to find out information a few days earlier.

If anything, that is the type of dentist I want. Someone who thinks on their feet, utilizes their resources, and thinks outside the box. Bravo to whoever figured out the source code error last year. Now that AADSAS has fixed it though, we are forced to wait til Dec 1st. However, if anyone does find a way to figure out before Dec 1st that isn't illegal, I applaud you as well.

There are also anxious students who worked their entire lives for this and they aren't on that accepted list. With how competitive it is, there is not a whole lot differentiating an accepted versus an almost accepted. If someone was anxious, accepted, and did this while someone was anxious, unaccepted, and did not, it's a no brainer in deciding how to rectify it.

Call it whatever you want; this situation sounds very familiar. Differentiating between "exploiting the source code" and "hacking" seems to be splitting hairs to me. They're both achieving the same end (granted, for one method you didn't have to work as hard to take the information) and the argument is just rationalization and displacing the blame. The applicants defended themselves the same way a few years ago: "Applyyourself should have taken better security measures." Didn't work.

I'm not "upset" about anything; I'm saying I think it's a bad (unprofitable) idea. We're so close. If school is that important it's not worth jeopardizing for a few extra days of dealing with your next set of decisions.

According to one school I spoke with, I am pretty sure dental schools would place any fault on the system(source code error) with addsas and not the applicants.

I hope you have no friends in D school

Calm down, guys. There are only 4.5 days left. :soexcited:

Uhhh... really? Come on, stop the BS. You are far away from that admission desk. I hope you will never have the power to "offer" acceptance to people.

For the record: Yes, if I found out someone was messing around behind the scenes, I would question my original judgement.

i r not goin 2 haz ne frends? :(

If you're going to comment please don't go after me, go after the subject. I don't feel that I've done it to anyone else (if I have, let me know). Thanks.

so who tried this source code thing just for kicks, and is now freaking out that the schools are going to find out that they tried?
i think everyone needs to calm down a bit....

I can't see how anyone can compare "view source code", which is not a hidden option, to actually hacking into the website. I remember everyone on here last year doing the source code thing and no one had any issues with it. Who knows tho...maybe adcomms look at it differently. I'll play it safe, but I don't think it's a huge issue since from what everyone is saying and what they said last year, the loophole has been closed.

I can't see how anyone can compare "view source code", which is not a hidden option, to actually hacking into the website. I remember everyone on here last year doing the source code thing and no one had any issues with it. Who knows tho...maybe adcomms look at it differently. I'll play it safe, but I don't think it's a huge issue since from what everyone is saying and what they said last year, the loophole has been closed.

I would compare them to taking something while someone's back is turned as opposed to breaking into their house at night and stealing the item out of a safe.

You are completely right, though. There probably isn't any way for them to keep track of the source code thing. It's like running the first scenario in a room crowded with thousands and thousands of people.

I hope you have no friends in D school

I dont think he will make any friends in D school. Or better say, i doubt anyone will be his friends!!!!

Pointless continuation of this thread! Everyone needs to calm the heck down. GO eat some turkey, geeeeeeez..

Hey guys, can't we all just get along? Let's hold hands and sing to O-Town's All Or Nothing.

Relax every one!

Last edited:
ghetto,

stop taking this thing so seriously,,this whole point you've brought up is ridiculous.. its not that big of a deal.. there is a way to see the decision earlier, no way in knowing whether its credible or not.. if someone wants to check it out, so be it.. stop taking yourself so seriously.. relax! good luck to everyone! and if you wanna check to see if "view source" works,, then do it!! and i hope you find what you wanna find.

hey guy, no wonder your offer to interview at Pitt was rescinded ;):smuggrin:

i keed, i keed.

How many of you have e-mailed or asked a prof in advance for that grade on a test? Maybe even asked twice? Similar scenario...

Platypus, have you? It's disgusting to see the lack of integrity on these boards. You should be ashamed of yourself. How will you ever get into dental school with such low moral standards? That professor should seriously re-evaluate your grade if you pulled something like that. :laugh:

Viewing source code is not unethical - its just the programing that has been done to make a web page work. Any person can do it on any page, last year aadsas made a slip or an error in that they had the information ready to go so that people could see it in a timely manner but they didn't realize that it was so easy to see so early.

Personally I don't think a school would really care that you found out a day or two early. If anything it would probably benefit them because you get all excited for that acceptance and maybe you will be so excited that you will withdraw your app from other schools and not consider other opportunities that might have come a few days later. Then that school doesn't have as many people declining and they have less work trying to get alternates in.

I was wondering how this post had anything to do with ethics. I mean you are only finding out info early, no advantage gained, no babies die

Call it whatever you want; this situation sounds very familiar. Differentiating between "exploiting the source code" and "hacking" seems to be splitting hairs to me. They're both achieving the same end (granted, for one method you didn't have to work as hard to take the information) and the argument is just rationalization and displacing the blame.

Stealing something and paying for it is achieving the same end, "granted, for one method you didn't have to work as hard".

Go pick on someone really breaking the law please, not us future dentists.

Platypus, have you? It's disgusting to see the lack of integrity on these boards. You should be ashamed of yourself. How will you ever get into dental school with such low moral standards? That professor should seriously re-evaluate your grade if you pulled something like that. :laugh:

You're just plain stuffing words in my mouth. "Integrity on these boards" and "integrity of the [aadsas] system" are two completely different things. If you want us to all get along then stop stirring up trouble.

Stealing something and paying for it is achieving the same end, "granted, for one method you didn't have to work as hard".

Go pick on someone really breaking the law please, not us future dentists.

My opinion was for common sense, not ethics (don't even know why law has been brought up). And if you think I'm the one picking on anyone at this point you need to read some of the posts up there.

If it's still just not clear, I'm not calling anyone unethical. The ethics statements (along with muh 1st post) are simply what has to go through an administrator's head when deciding what to do with an ethics crisis (with the press chomping at the bit and a small political agenda, a pressure apparently no one has considered).

I feel that it's best to not have to put your application under an ethics judgment by an adcom. That is all. I can even go back and replace all of my posts with that statement if that's the only way to get it through.

Btw, relax with the relax posts. :beat:

Some posts have taken what I've said out of context and now need some damage control before everyone thinks my original opinion was to nuke Europe and colonize Mars with nothing but toothpicks and salad dressing.

You're just plain stuffing words in my mouth. "Integrity on these boards" and "integrity of the [aadsas] system" are two completely different things. If you want us to all get along then stop stirring up trouble.

Wow ghettob1aster, you really may not have any friends in D-school. Don't have you a sense of humor? I could smell the sarcasm by somethinpositiv a mile away without a nose.

haha, what a dumb conversation to stumble upon on this glorious day of turkeys...
ghetto, take a deep breath. I almost think it makes you less qualified that you are not anxious enough to find out early. perhaps you are not worthy of taking somebodys spot in dental school who is really excited and want to know their status thursday rather than monday.

i intend to check the aadsas situation right now.

Wow ghettob1aster, you really may not have any friends in D-school. Don't have you a sense of humor? I could smell the sarcasm by somethinpositiv a mile away without a nose.

you're good dino. real good. most people need a nose to smell sarcasm, especially burning sarcasm.

i feel sorry for you ghetto bee. oh bee without a nose. i hope you have at least one friend in dental school. you son of a bee.