Will ASCO's 2021 Annual Meeting be virtual?

Started by JivTor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JivTor

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone knows whether ASCO's 2021 meeting has plans to transition to a virtual format or whether they're still set on having it in Chicago in person (as is listed on the website). From their website, I am guessing the latter, since they don't have any info on a virtual format and they're listing things like hotel reservation options on there...

I'm Canadian and we're a little behind the US on the vaccination timeline (not expected to have the total population vaccinated until September at the earliest), so there's a very real possibility that further outbreaks in the summer will restrict international travel. I don't want to submit an abstract if ASCO doesn't at least have a contingency to allow authors to present virtually if necessary...

thanks.
 
Don’t know, hope it’s not virtual for the sake of going to Chicago when not deathly cold. I’d have preferred ASH in San Diego instead of ASH in my kitchen.

What’s the harm in submitting, particularly from a CV perspective?
 
I would put money on it being virtual again this year. AACR (in April) is virtual already. The vaccination timeline is so muddled that I can't imagine we'll get to 75-80% vaccination by even the end of this calendar year. So June just isn't happening.

Agree with @CatFactorial though...submit your abstract. You've got nothing to lose.
 
It is going to be virtual. I think the decision has been made at this point. I had known it was going to be virtual given the state of the world, I'm just glad that ASCO knows it now too.