Medical Will bad grades hold me back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm a sophomore currently! I really need some consultation about my grades so far. So far I have gotten a C- in Ochem 1 (which I am retaking over the summer), a C+ in physics 1, and a C+ in ochem 2. My GPA sank a lot from my freshman year, so it was a little bit of a "rollercoaster" of a trend. With summer classes, my GPA should be back up to a ~3.5 if I get all A's in my summer classes (including the ochem 1 retake). My goal is to apply with a 3.6/3.7 when I apply during the summer after my junior year.
Will those bad grades keep me from getting in the first time I apply? Also, my university is doing optional pass/fail --> should I do that for ochem 2 even though this past semester I got all A's in my other classes? I feel like it would hurt me and raise questions in the long run, so I just wanted to ask and make sure.
Thank you so so much!
What are your cGPA and sGPA? Which other premed courses have you taken and how did you do? Yes, you should absolutely retake the courses you got "C" in, especially if they were science courses. I don’t think it would be a good idea to do P/F either because that doesn’t prove that you succeeded in the course. It just proves you didn’t fail.

I am going to be blunt with you. If you want to become a doctor, you need to buckle down and get the grades you need for medical school.

Also, in theory, it would be great to get straight "A" from here on out, but the fact is that most students don’t actually achieve that.

To have a good shot at M.D. schools, your GPA needs to be at least ~3.6 and you need to rock your MCAT. If you’re getting "C" in premed courses, the chance (at this point) of you doing well on your MCAT is low.

Buckle down and fix your science courses.

Members don't see this ad.

My cGPA is a 3.4 and I haven't calculated what my sGPA is yet. I've taken both gen chems, both intro bios, cell bio, genetics, labs to go with all of them. I've done well in those classes. It was just sophomore year that was super tough for me. If I can achieve straight A's this summer then I'll be at a 3.5 cGPA. And then I plan to apply with a 3.6 by the end of my junior year. I'm definitely retaking ochem 1 over the summer! Also, with physics, I have shown growth as for physics 1 I got a C+, but physics 2 I was able to get an A-
Okay, so you are definitely on the right track. Retake the courses you can that you performed poorly in, study your a** off for the MCAT, make sure you have a good amount of ECs and clinical experience. Your MCAT score could make or break you and will really play a big part in where you apply (MD or DO) since your GPA is so borderline.

My current GPA or my goal GPA of a 3.6 is borderline? Sorry haha, just clarifying!
A 3.6 is borderline for applying to M.D. schools (it would be fine for D.O. schools). That is why I said your MCAT is really important. If you crush you MCAT, then I think with a 3.6 you may have a shot at M.D. If you don't crush you MCAT, your chances at M.D. are much lower and I would apply D.O.

I am retaking it this summer! I am trying to figure out study styles that may work more effectively for me! Will a few C+'s on my transcript hold me back from getting interviews/acceptances? I plan to work really hard and load on science courses. If all ends well, I should be looking at a 3.67 as my goal by the end of my junior year.
Even a few Fs on your transcript won't be lethal, as long as you show that you have moved away from being that student.
I just wanted to update that I ended up getting a B- in Ochem 2, so thankfully my GPA went up even more and reduced the amount of C's on my transcript! I will be retaking ochem 1 over the summer and I plan to ace it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.