Will be a 1st year Pharm Student this year and really Nervous

Started by dan99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dan99

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to study in advance, so which textbooks do you guys recommend?

Thank You,

Dan99
 
Read pharmacology.


Thanks! Would something like this work?
books



This primary textbook for a first course in pharmacology offers an integrated, systems-based, and mechanism-based approach to understanding drug therapy. Each chapter focuses on a target organ system, begins with a clinical case, and incorporates cell biology, biochemistry, physiology, and pathophysiology to explain how and why different drug classes are effective for diseases in that organ system. Over 400 two-color illustrations show molecular, cellular, biochemical, and pathophysiologic processes underlying diseases and depict targets of drug therapy. Each Second Edition chapter includes a drug summary table presenting mechanism, clinical applications, adverse effects, contraindications, and therapeutic considerations. New chapters explain how drugs produce adverse effects and describe the life cycle of drug development. The fully searchable online text and an image bank are available on thePoint.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Moved your thread to the main forum for better responses.

If you're really intent on studying ahead of starting, get in touch with the school to find out what textbooks they use. Then, if possible, get in touch with one of the students ahead of you in school to find out which textbooks they REALLY use. Nothing worse than spending >$500 on textbooks only to find out you'll never open one of them.

In all honesty though, there is no real reason to start studying beforehand. Everything in school fits together like pieces of a puzzle - without seeing everything at the same time, you'll be stuck looking at something that doesn't quite make sense without the rest. If you have a job as a pharmacy tech, focus on talking to the pharmacists about what they do day in and day out. Try to pick up what some of the more common drugs are used for. If you don't have a job as a tech, focus on enjoying your summer as much as you can.
 
the best way for you to study now would be to get a pharmacy job and work as much as possible.
 
Pharmacy job, read Katzung's 1st few chapters if you want to. Gives the principles of the latters. But you should DEFINITELY memorize brand/generic/classes at work.
 
Thanks for all the advice guys! Right now I am a "pharmacy cashier" over at wallgreens and I still have to work my way up to become a pharm tech. So basically you guys really think I should just "enjoy" my break off?! I would also really like to find ways to improve my memorization skills because I know I will need a lot of that in p-school, so I was wondering if I can try some programs that work on your memorization skills?
 
Thanks for all the advice guys! Right now I am a "pharmacy cashier" over at wallgreens and I still have to work my way up to become a pharm tech. So basically you guys really think I should just "enjoy" my break off?! I would also really like to find ways to improve my memorization skills because I know I will need a lot of that in p-school, so I was wondering if I can try some programs that work on your memorization skills?

Yes, enjoy your time off. You'll have four years to learn what you need to know. Focus on being the best at your job as you can and try to learn from your pharmacists as much as you can.

Memorization skills will also come to you. No one thing works for every person, you'll find out real quickly what works best for you.
 
don't be nervous! although easier said than done, keep a positive attitude throughout school. also, stick with walgreens and continue to work for them (if you can during school). you want to establish connections while working. it's not all about what you know, but WHO you know that will help you secure a job after you graduate.

good luck! 😀
 
My vote is for no reading beforehand. Just know brand/generic/classes of at least the top 200 drugs and you should be good. 👍
 
Read up on all you want, but still do all of the fun stuff you've wanted to do before pharmacy school.

Everyone is different and has a different approach to pharmacy school. Some people can jump into completely new material and do just fine. Other people feel more comfortable going into it after reading up on it before.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to study in advance, so which textbooks do you guys recommend?

Thank You,

Dan99

I would recommend a book with a title - how to survive unemployment, manage huge student loans, and not to go crazy - or something like that.
 
I would recommend a book with a title - how to survive unemployment, manage huge student loans, and not to go crazy - or something like that.
I would recommend getting that chronic rudeness checked out by a doctor. It might be contagious. :scared:
 
My recommendation, if you really want to get ahead of the curve, so to speak, would be to go to a local health sciences library and use their access to online databases. Access dynamed and read their "best of 2010, best of 2009", etc.. these are the journal articles they believe to be the most important and most game-changing , for the field of medicine, in a given year.. Read the full texts of the articles, and look up any terms you dont understand.. and you'll be massively ahead of the curve... bonus points because it is practical knowledge. A second place to look for some interesting and helpful info would be Cochrane Library. They are a meta analysis site, which compares all of the available clinical trials and anecdotal evidence data in order to issue definitive statements about certain hot topics (known as 'reviews').

Other than that.. you could always crack a pharmacotherapy book, but.. that would get dry really fast I think.

For an easier, lighter level of preparation, just find a subscription or online access to the pharmacist's letter. It has topics that will be easier to read and understand than academic journals, and has a lot of practical tips and will clue you in on what is happening currently in the field.

Pharmacy school does not need to be studied for beforehand, especially because P1 year oftentimes is about 50% review of prereqs. However, pharmacy school WILL slam on the workload, and any extra info you know ahead of time could help. That said.. they only admit you if they have confidence you can handle it. As long as you're not in the dumbest or slackest 5-10% of your classmates, you will pass and become a pharmacist.

imho, anyway.
 
Don't be nervous! Easier said then done, I know. 🙂 Pharmacy school will go by in the blink of an eye. Just relax, and get mentally prepared to study and work hard when the time rolls around this fall. :luck:
 
I wouldn't recommned reading pharmacy stuff ahead of time...you will have plenty of time to do that in school, and it might make a lot more sens read in context of lectures and classwork.

Besides the important working in a pharmacy I would say work on skills that can help you that won't be taught in school. Like learning a second language, or at least trying to learn some basic medical phrases. Speaking spanish has been a huge help to me and I keep a medical spanish reference book in our outpatient pharmacy.

Try to relax though, the stress will come later.
 
I want to study in advance, so which textbooks do you guys recommend?

Thank You,

Dan99

Not trying to belittle your nervousness, but I will try to calm the fear a little.

Truthfully, trying to study ahead may be a futile effort. The time between now and when classes start will be, what, a month or two at most? With work, summer vacation, and all the other things going on in life, studying probably won't be the #1 priority. During the school year, yes, but right now, no.

To borrow a line from Kenny Rogers, "You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done." Meaning, try to relax and not get ahead of yourself. There will be plenty of time for studying and plenty of studying to do when classes start.

Enjoy your summer vacation. You only get so many of them before you graduate and then you'll long for those days again.

Take care and best of luck!!!!

John
 
Thanks for all the advice guys! Right now I am a "pharmacy cashier" over at wallgreens and I still have to work my way up to become a pharm tech. So basically you guys really think I should just "enjoy" my break off?! I would also really like to find ways to improve my memorization skills because I know I will need a lot of that in p-school, so I was wondering if I can try some programs that work on your memorization skills?

Yes, enjoy your free time. This is probably the last summer vacation you will ever have! If you insist on being productive, work on getting promoted to tech. Like everybody else has said, there will be plenty of opportunities to study in the fall, and the material will make a lot more sense in the context of a class.
 
Honestly, the best approach is to learn your RX and OTC drugs. A great resource, and fairly priced, is available at https://www.firstpasssolutions.com. 250 flashcards that can be review by brand vs.generic, brand vs. category, brand vs. indication, and brand vs. mechanism of action (and visa versa for all of the above). Prepared by Pham.D. educator licensed in multiple states.

Each one of your posts keeps spamming that same site . . .

Anki is free and better.