Will being Prior USMC help?

Started by libo1369
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

libo1369

mmm beer
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering if anybody out there was prior service USMC and if this helped you to get into medical school or anything along the way. I was a 0331 for four years and like both military options of HPSP and USUHS. I was hoping that being a "hard charger" would seperate me a bit from the rest of the applicants. Can I look forward to this helping? Is there anybody that caught any flak from being military? Any general guidlines or such would be helpful or ideas how to use this to my advantage if there are any.
Semper Fi
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.
 
In a general sense in applying to medical school it will only help you.

I wouldn't recommend walking into the interview as mister "high and tight devil dog" but rather as a mature, wise, experienced individual who has some real-life experience under your belt.

I was a corpsman in the big blue for five years before medical school. I think that experience helped tremendously in getting in. You still have to have the grades, but that little extra may help set you apart.
 
prior service helps for admission to USUHS. I think it also helps for civilian, but you never know, you could get someone who likes military service and then you could get someone who despises the military and everything about it. I agree with the above poster about demeanor
 
You will catch flak if you're too military. The Marine Corps was something you did not who you are. If you appear as a Gunny Highway type during interviews it won't bode will for ya.