All Branch Topic (ABT) Will certain MOS help me as a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any MOS that might be helpful (experience wise) for the career as a doctor?

MOS is certainly something that I've never thought about because I would be happy with any job they would give me. However, if there is any job that might be worthwhile or if there is anything that might help me with experience as a doctor (or preferably a good skill to have as a doctor as well), I would appreciate any insights and recommendations.

Also, I have received my ASVAB test result today: I have 92 overall and 117 GT score.

My service of branch: I am planning to ship out next year for Marines Corps Reserves.
Plan for USMC Reserve service: After earning my bachelor, I am planning to apply to med school and switch my branch to Navy for HPSP program. For the next 3 years, I will be serving as USMC Reservist.

Why I am not joining the ROTC: There is a mandatory active duty service right after bachelor and I am likely to have a gap year (most likely post-bacc) before applying to med schools. It might be a good idea to remain as Reservist within that time period (from post-UG to Med school).
Why I am joining the Marines: They are awesome. They have a good boot-camp program to help me get ready as an Officer and be physically fit as an Officer.
How long will I serve in the USMC Reserves: For about 3-4 years depends on my situation and number of gap year as well.

Thank you very much.
I hope to attend Med school someday and serve as Naval officer for a life time (or for as long as they would like to keep me).
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you enlist for only 3-4 yrs?......my commission required 8 total.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you enlist for only 3-4 yrs?......my commission required 8 total.

Oh no, I am joining as Reservist.
Also, my recruiter said I have to serve 6 years mandatory as Marine Reservist(plus 2 years afterwards).
But I am planning to switch my service branch to Navy after 3 years.
That would be when I'm in Med school (fingers crossed). However, my service in Marines Corps can be longer. It can be 6 years, if I have to reapply or take that much time to do post-bacc.

Just curious.....why are you joining?
Would this be a question about why I am joining the Marines branch? Or military in general?
I will answer both of them.

I am joining Marines because I like challenges. When they told me that Marines' boot-camp is longer and more rigorous (as said by other recruiters as well) I really liked it; as I do love challenges.

I am joining Military because becoming a military physician was my life-time dream. It is still my number 1 priority in job choices. I would really trade my soul with the devil if I can have a chance to become a military physician. Also, I have a passion for Naval officer because of their deployment chances. I would like to help soldiers and alongside it, my main goal is to help war victims overseas. So it's safe to say that I want to jump right into action and help our humanity- war victims, refugees & etc (without border).

And also, in all honesty, HSPS is really nice. I don't have to pay for tuition and Cost of Living is covered while I'm attending any med school.

Last edited:
There is no reason to believe you will be released from your Marine Reserve commitment to join the Navy. What's in it for them to release you? In order to receive the educational benefits as a Reservist you have to complete the 6 years drilling. Plan on the full six years as a drilling reservist. What's in it for you? Are you protected from deployments in that 6 years?
  • The first six (6) years are spent in a drilling status with the last two (2) in the IRR. Those who wish to participate in the Post-9/11 GI Bill must choose this program.
  • The first five (5) years are spent in a drilling status and the last three (3) will be as an IRR member.
  • The first four (4) years are spent in a drilling status and the remaining four (4) in the IRR.
Edit: Joining the Marine Reserves does not help you on your path to Military Physician and it will likely interfere with that goal.

Reactions: 1 users
Would this be a question about why I am joining the Marines branch? Or military in general?
I will answer both of them.

I am joining Marines because I like challenges. When they told me that Marines' boot-camp is longer and more rigorous (as said by other recruiters as well) I really liked it; as I do love challenges.

I am joining Military because becoming a military physician was my life-time dream. It is still my number 1 priority in job choices and it is my life time dream. I would really trade my soul with the devil if I can have a chance to become a military physician. Also, I have a passion for Naval officer because of their deployment chances. I would like to help soldiers and alongside it, my main goal is to help war victims overseas. So it's safe to say that I want to jump right into action and help our humanity- war victims, refugees & etc. (without border).
I'd like to propose that enlisting in the marines is counterproductive to your stated primary goal of being a military physician. With your stated end game, you should give consideration to staying out until Med school when you can get a medical student officer aoc

Reactions: 4 users
There is no reason to believe you will be released from your Marine Reserve commitment to join the Navy. What's in it for them to release you? In order to receive the educational benefits as a Reservist you have to complete the 6 years drilling. Plan on the full six years as a drilling reservist. What's in it for you? Are you protected from deployments in that 6 years?
  • The first six (6) years are spent in a drilling status with the last two (2) in the IRR. Those who wish to participate in the Post-9/11 GI Bill must choose this program.
  • The first five (5) years are spent in a drilling status and the last three (3) will be as an IRR member.
  • The first four (4) years are spent in a drilling status and the remaining four (4) in the IRR.
Edit: Joining the Marine Reserves does not help you on your path to Military Physician and it will likely interfere with that goal.

I have talked to my recruiter about it. My goal and my plan on switching branches within 3-4 years. They told me there would be no problem. I can ask my recruiter about this again. I will ask them right now :)

Thank you very much for your reply ma'am, I will favorite this page to come back to it after I receive my answer.

I'd like to propose that enlisting in the marines is counterproductive to your stated primary goal of being a military physician. With your stated end game, you should give consideration to staying out until Med school when you can get a medical student officer aoc

Yes; I was thinking about staying out until I am actually in Med school. Or perhaps, until I am done with Medical school.
However, given the current state of my fitness, I would not pass the Physical Exam to be an Officer. It is a requirement for HSPS.
So I would like to join Marines for that reason. If there is a problem switching, however, I would like to forget about HSPS and serve Marines until the end of my commitment. Then use student loans to pay off my tuition.
Afterwards, I will join the Navy [After my graduation from med school]

I have talked to my recruiter about it. My goal and my plan on switching branches within 3-4 years. They told me there would be no problem. I can ask my recruiter about this again. I will ask them right now :)

Thank you very much for your reply ma'am, I will favorite this page to come back to it after I receive my answer.

Yes; I was thinking about staying out until I am actually in Med school. Or perhaps, until I am done with Medical school.
However, given the current state of my fitness, I would not pass the Physical Exam to be an Officer. It is a requirement for HSPS.
So I would like to join Marines for that reason. If there is a problem switching, however, I would like to forget about HSPS and serve Marines until the end of my commitment. Then use loans to pay off.
Afterwards, join Navy after my graduation from med school.
You plan like a crazy person. Don't ever trust anything a recruiter says unless they put it in writing and can show you a regulation. And don't join the marines because you are too lazy to jog and do some push-ups.

Is your main goal to be an doc or is it to have fun being a marine?

You plan like a crazy person. Don't ever trust anything a recruiter says unless they put it in writing and can show you a regulation. And don't join the marines because you are too lazy to jog and do some push-ups.

Is your main goal to be an doc or is it to have fun being a marine?

My main goal is to be a doctor.
However, to be honest, I do have a personal love for Marines as well.
So, yes, I do acknowledge how crazy this sounds. But I have made frequent crazy decisions in my life.
Like coming to U.S. alone when I was 10, without even knowing how to read English. Heck, I didn't know the full-series of ABC's until I attended school here.

Thank you for your concern and your comment. I really appreciate it.
:D

Also, to @Helpful Troll , I have confirmed that there are reservists who switched branches within 3 years. The recruiters know them personally and they have checked it for me.
There isn't a conflict what-so-ever.
HSPS isn't related to GI Bill I believe; they have their own criteria and eligibility.

Last edited:
Geo16 -

This decision is yours to 'own'. However, you have not identified how joining the Marine Reserves gets you any closer to your goal of doctor or that it provides you any benefit toward that goal.

Be careful about chasing the shiny bauble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geo16 -

This decision is yours to 'own'. However, you have not identified how joining the Marine Reserves gets you any closer to your goal of doctor or that it provides you any benefit toward that goal.

Be careful about chasing the shiny bauble.

The benefit of joining the Marines is that their boot camp, mandatory drills and 2 weeks training each year will ensure me that I will be physically fit. Thus, physical exam won't be a problem in achieving HSPS or becoming a Naval Officer. That's the reason why I want to join the Marines. Also, there are more meetings for Marines Reservists (this was an info online, I will ask my recruiter about this as well) so I have more time spent doing something productive. So, I assume it's a good benefit. The biggest benefit of all is that they are helping my first step into military as well.

Thank you. I am aware of the obstacles you've mentioned. However, this was something me and my recruiter talked about even way before I took ASVAB. Other recruiters as well ensured me that the choice I made to join Marines won't hold me back.

Your recruiters don't give a crap about your future plans and even if they did they lack the insight to actually advise you on it. Join the Marines if you want to be a Marine. Join a gym if you want to be in shape. Stay out of the military and focus on school if you want to be a military physician.

Reactions: 5 users
The benefit of joining the Marines is that their boot camp, mandatory drills and 2 weeks training each year will ensure me that I will be physically fit. Thus, physical exam won't be a problem in achieving HSPS or becoming a Naval Officer. That's the reason why I want to join the Marines. Also, there are more meetings for Marines Reservists (this was an info online, I will ask my recruiter about this as well) so I have more time spent doing something productive. So, I assume it's a good benefit. The biggest benefit of all is that they are helping my first step into military as well.

Thank you. I am aware of the obstacles you've mentioned. However, this was something me and my recruiter talked about even way before I took ASVAB. Other recruiters as well ensured me that the choice I made to join Marines won't hold me back.

Your lack of self discipline and awareness does not bode well for success toward your goal. Passing a PT test doesn't require enlistment in the Marine Reserves. It's only six years, you are young.

OP, I say with all sincerity that you need to cease and desist with any and all plans to join the military in any capacity until you decide on a career path and start having some realistic expectations about what being in the military entails. If you want to be a Marine to be badass and kill the enemy, then go for it. If you are looking to get in shape go for a jog. If you want to be a doctor then joining the military now will not aid that. If you want to join the military and have a MOS that will give you some exposure to the medical field, then any branch except the Marine Corps can get you that. Recruiters will say anything to get you to join, do not believe a word they say. Get any promises in writing with a reference to a regulation.

If you want to be a doctor then your best plan of action is to put all of your effort into undergrad; performing in classes, getting some research experience, and doing well on the MCAT. When you have a medical school acceptance in hand then there are other avenues to give you a taste of the military if that's something you still want.

Thank you everyone for your concern.
I would like to apologize if I may have posted a weird thread.
I will go over this decision once again and actually will quit DEP with Marines once it is declared that this path isn't ideal at all.
Once I decide that, I will report my decision here.
Thank you very much again. I will reconsider this decision over the weekends. Or during the duration of 1 year in DEP.

Thoughts on your plan:

1) Passing the physical fitness exam won't be the barrier that keeps you from becoming a medical officer. Anyone who is not morbidly obese or suffering from COPD can pass the Navy's fitness exam. Also, unlike an application to become a line officer, a physical fitness test is not even part of the application to become a medical officer. You'll be a commissioned officer before they even know if you can pass the test.

2) In general, if you have an acceptance to a US medical school, you can become a military doctor. We will occasionally reject the bottom 25% of applicants from the worst schools, but that's about it. I promise, you don't need to build a resume to get accepted to the medical corps

3) Military culture is not that complicated. Really. I know it seems very intimidating to civilians, but you will lean all the etiquette you need for the Medical Corps in a week or two. You don't need to join the reserves to get a head start on looking like you belong in the military.

4) This is the most important problem with your plan: even without the doing anything else getting into medical school is really hard. When you start adding on extra responsibilities is goes from being really hard to being almost impossible. Almost none of the college students who start out wanting to be doctors get to be one. Most won't even pass the premedical classes, or won't get anywhere close to 3.7 GPA of the average matriculant. Of the handful that complete undergrad with the classes and GPA they need for medical school, and who think its worth it to blow several hundred dollars taking the MCAT (usually also spending thousands on a review course) only 1/4th will ultimately matriculate into a medical school. That's why everyone here is telling you not to add anything that would distract your focus from school. This process is designed for people who have no other responsibility, no distractions, and even then it weeds almost everyone out. Why do you think you're going to be able to handle that very full time pressure AND be a part time Marine?

Finally, to echo everyone else, your recruiter is a saleseman and even if he's honest he doesn't have the slightest clue about what you want to do for a living. He is not someone you should go to with questions.

So I would like to join Marines for that reason.

You realize that this is basically the plot for Stripes... You're like John Candy.

After some thoughts overnight .. I've decided not to join the Marines.
Perhaps I should focus on school and actually focus on getting into Med school.

My Citizenship (naturalization document) is in the recruitment office. So I can't just call in and say I quit..
Should I tell them the truth and say I won't join Marines Reserves? After all their effort to put me into ASVAB and paper work, now I'd look like a penta star a-hole.
Of course.. this is something I have to deal with.

2) In general, if you have an acceptance to a US medical school, you can become a military doctor. We will occasionally reject the bottom 25% of applicants from the worst schools, but that's about it. I promise, you don't need to build a resume to get accepted to the medical corps
Wait, there are rejections to HSPS? 25% applicants sounds like a lot. How about Osteopathic school? DO schools don't have any comprehensible ranks or any reason to compare to MD schools.
Thank you for your comment and suggestion. I really appreciate it! Looks like I will just focus on getting in for now and getting those A's.

Last edited:
You realize that this is basically the plot for Stripes... You're like John Candy.

The first thing I'm going to do after becoming a donor is changing my name to John Candy.

My Citizenship (naturalization document) is in the recruitment office. So I can't just call in and say I quit..
Should I tell them the truth and say I won't join Reserves? After all their effort to put me into ASVAB and paper work, now I'd look like a penta star a-hole.
Of course.. this is something I have to deal with.

You don't owe it to a used car salesman to buy a car, regardless of how long he's put into making the sale. Be polite and direct. That's all you owe the Recruiter.

You don't owe it to a used car salesman to buy a car, regardless of how long he's put into making the sale. Be polite and direct. That's all you owe the Recruiter.
I'm going to be honest about it on Monday. Then take back any documents that belong to me.
I'll report that here on Monday if everything goes well.

Why would it not go well? You have no legal obligation to join at this point. Also, please tell me that you did not give your recruiter an original document.
They said they required the citizenship (the..original document) to process. The one I gave them was the original.
I have my SS Card back. However, the citizenship is in their office.

Last edited:
Glad you came to your senses. Recruiters don't give two ****s about what happens to you after you sign the dotted line. It says very clearly in a few places that switching services is very unlikely.
Yeah, I am gonna just quit here. Gonna march into office on Monday. Thank them for their time.
Gonna get my documents and leave.

This thread was pretty hilarious...
This was embarrassing!
:*(

Yeah, I am gonna just quit here. Gonna march into office on Monday. Thank them for their time.

This was embarrassing!

I love the military, but you have to look out for yourself. A recruiter's job is to get you in any way they can. How can you tell a recruiter is lying? His lips are moving.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive
Yeah. They've spent so much time for me that I feel really bad now. Not sure how to end this anymore :/
I mean, they were lying. So I guess I don't have to feel bad....?

@Matthew9Thirtyfive
Yeah. They've spent so much time for me that I feel really bad now. Not sure how to end this anymore :/
I mean, they were lying. So I guess I don't have to feel bad....?

Don't feel bad. They put time into you, but they weren't completely truthful. If they had been, would you have signed up?

@Matthew9Thirtyfive
I mean, no.
Guess not :p
I was going to join to get some military experience and being able to drill. I was only doing it to get closer to HPSP and being able to switch after 3 years. If I can't, why should I?
Thought it'd be nice to become a reservist to know how enlists feel.

Last edited:
I got a good chuckle out of Geo16 recruiter's lies considering that I have been on the enlisted side for four years before gtfo.

This was embarrassing!
Don't be embarrassed: you came here for information and you got it. It wasn't the information that you were expecting, and that's a good thing.

Thank you very much everyone. I've done my own research the night I posted this and it didn't look good.
Not only you guys were right, but I found few other reasons not to join.
You guys have saved another pre-med. If I had not posted this here, I was going to swear-in this Thursday and get my Physical Exam on Friday at MEP.
I'll be back tomorrow!

Thank you very much everyone. I've done my own research the night I posted this and it didn't look good.
Not only you guys were right, but I found few other reasons not to join.
You guys have saved another pre-med. If I had not posted this here, I was going to swear-in this Thursday and get my Physical Exam on Friday at MEP.
I'll be back tomorrow!

I mean, don't get me wrong. I love being in the military. I just want to make sure people know what they're getting themselves into before they join so we don't have so many disgruntled vets.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I love being in the military. I just want to make sure people know what they're getting themselves into before they join so we don't have so many disgruntled vets.
Yeah, I like being in the military as well.
That is why, if I get into Med school and become a doctor, I want to stay as Naval officer as long as I can serve.
But of course, not everyone gets HPSP or get to be an officer. So I have to work hard in UG...

Yeah, I like being in the military as well.
That is why, if I get into Med school and become a doctor, I want to stay as Naval officer as long as I can serve.
But of course, not everyone gets HPSP or get to be an officer. So I have to work hard in UG...
I'll state again....if you get to be a doctor (which is the hard part) all you need to is have the absolute bare minimum health and the military will take you (the easy part)

Study and don't do anything that messes with your studying. Getting into med school is the hard part. Getting into the military as a doc is easy

I'll state again....if you get to be a doctor (which is the hard part) all you need to is have the absolute bare minimum health and the military will take you (the easy part)

Study and don't do anything that messes with your studying. Getting into med school is the hard part. Getting into the military as a doc is easy

Thank you @sb247 , you have saved a fool right here.
Yeah, I will work hard from now on. I'm taking first Chem and expected to finish General Chemistry this year.
Going to take Anatomy and Microbiology next semester along with Gen Chem 2.
I do have A's in 3 other science courses, that would bump my sGPA for DO schools. But I'm not really sure what to do with General Biology, Organic Chemistry and General Physics..
Guess I can find out about how hard biology is comparing that to High school Biology and Microbiology course that I'm taking next semester.
More importantly, I need to volunteer and shadow. I might extend another year at UG if that's necessary. It's a long way, but heck, I will work really hard. :D

I have left the office today. Also I took my document.

I have talked to three recruiters and explained about my situation. At the end, I withdrew from the process.

They were really nice to me. Just genuine welcome and goodbye. Really nice people (really, no charms of salesman). They said it is okay that I am leaving but very relunctant to let go. And told me not to feel bad or felt like I have wasted their time at all..

They were grateful that I wad being polite and honest about it.

So... It went well! I think I will join the military when I'm ready. That is.. in 2020?

Last edited:
A lot of people love to talk crap about how enlisted medical MOS's don't help you what so ever in becoming a doctor.
It's not a big stepping stone but it definitely puts you ahead of everyone else in college. A 4 year contract as a combat medic, a deployment to iraq and fixing wounds will definitely put you ahead of the game.
And when you go to college you do all the ec's they do.

My two cents. People value time.

A lot of people love to talk crap about how enlisted medical MOS's don't help you what so ever in becoming a doctor.
It's not a big stepping stone but it definitely puts you ahead of everyone else in college. A 4 year contract as a combat medic, a deployment to iraq and fixing wounds will definitely put you ahead of the game.

High opportunity cost, you'd be older than all of your classmates, and not all med schools view such non-trad paths favorably.

If someone took that path, more power to them. I would not recommend that path for someone intent on being a physician, however.

I've already decided not to join :p
Also came to a conclusion that it's always good to ask.. you'll get an answer you've never expected before.

The amount that it can help you is contingent on the remainder of your packet. If you compare two students: both with competitive GPAs and MCAT scores but one of them was a combat medic in Iraq, then I can see it being helpful. But GPA and MCAT will trump extra curricular activities and experience every time. Point is you put the premium on GPA and MCAT if you want to go to medical school. Being in the military prior to college will not help you with that. So, if the goal is medical school, then go to college rather than the military.

The amount that it can help you is contingent on the remainder of your packet. If you compare two students: both with competitive GPAs and MCAT scores but one of them was a combat medic in Iraq, then I can see it being helpful. But GPA and MCAT will trump extra curricular activities and experience every time. Point is you put the premium on GPA and MCAT if you want to go to medical school. Being in the military prior to college will not help you with that. So, if the goal is medical school, then go to college rather than the military.

Exactly what I meant thanks!
But to add a little more: Obviously it depends on your family situation, but having a paycheck for 4 years while gaining an extra curricular plus having a GI-Bill is a benefit not a lot of families can surpass.

High opportunity cost, you'd be older than all of your classmates, and not all med schools view such non-trad paths favorably.

If someone took that path, more power to them. I would not recommend that path for someone intent on being a physician, however.
I really don't understand why a medical school would frown upon a service member just due to age. In fact many programs encourage diversity, obviously as long as you maintain the high GPA/MCAT pre-med path.
I'd love to see your perspective as a physician, could you elaborate?

But to add a little more: Obviously it depends on your family situation, but having a paycheck for 4 years while gaining an extra curricular plus having a GI-Bill is a benefit not a lot of families can surpass.

I really don't understand why a medical school would frown upon a service member just due to age. In fact many programs encourage diversity, obviously as long as you maintain the high GPA/MCAT pre-med path.
I'd love to see your perspective as a physician, could you elaborate?
Lots of med schools prefer their students to be nearly identical, with minor variations for 'diversity.' If someone deviates from the premed--> usual extracurricular activities--> med school pathway, it raises eyebrows (and maybe red flags). Part of me thinks it's just that they want what they are used to seeing, and new things confuse them (or, they assume the applicant had limited academic ability). However, another part of me has seen that people with actual life experience outside of college, that willingly go back in have actual opinions, and may not be afraid to express them to clueless administrators that are used to naive premeds that just want to work for free one day.

Some schools, however, look favorably upon extra experience, and it may offset some negatives. I remember when my med school sent out a list of student mentors and mentees, and accidentally included MCAT scores and GPAs for the incoming class. There were several people with poorer scores and grades, yet were older and had previous work experience.

Well, you could do virtually anything for four years and show up way ahead of other undergrads who were in high school a couple months earlier. The maturity and life skills bar for teenage college freshmen isn't very high. :)

Sure, but that is not MOS dependent. You would earn all of that as infantry too. Again, the point to take home for all the pre-meds lurking on this page is that if your goal is to attend medical school, then your #1 priority should be attending undergrad, getting in with your research department, and having high GPA/MCAT scores. It is easier to be a student when you are younger rather than older (trust me on that one) so it's better to go after your education, IMO.