Will complaining to HR kill a career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a person complains to HR about RXM, will it kill their career in a big private company?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, yeah, "good faith non retaliation policy" really doesn't mean anything. Whether it will kill your career depends, but there is certainly a good chance of it. Count on everything you say to HR being repeated back to your manager (even if they promise you they won't.) Of course, you could try registering an anonymous complaint, but depending on how specific the situation is, your manager may have a good idea that it is you.

My advice, if the situation is so unbearable that your next step would be to leave your job, or if something illegal is going on, then definitely go to HR, because you don't have much to lose. Otherwise, I would try to bear the situation and hope that you outlast your manager, or try to transfer to another store or hospital in the system.

Reactions: 3 users
A complaint is not the issue. Everyone receives complaints, you proly aren't doing your job right if you don't. The issue is if a company policy violated and to what extent. If it's a stupid complaint, it usually becomes your word against theirs and it often deemed as "miscommunication" and that's the end of it

Agree...it depends on what it is. HR is not designed to protect the employee. It is there to protect the company from lawsuits.

Reactions: 2 users
My advice, if the situation is so unbearable that your next step would be to leave your job, or if something illegal is going on, then definitely go to HR, because you don't have much to lose. Otherwise, I would try to bear the situation and hope that you outlast your manager, or try to transfer to another store or hospital in the system.

This.

Look, if the RXM is breaking the law, then go to HR. If he's sexually harassing you, or a technician, go to HR.

But if he's being a meany poo-poo pants and not giving you Friday nights off because you want to go out on the town or he wrote you up because of a ticky-tack error, then, just suck it up, and look for a new job.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, yeah, "good faith non retaliation policy" really doesn't mean anything. Whether it will kill your career depends, but there is certainly a good chance of it. Count on everything you say to HR being repeated back to your manager (even if they promise you they won't.) Of course, you could try registering an anonymous complaint, but depending on how specific the situation is, your manager may have a good idea that it is you.

this right here. a lot of people are so naive as to think HR is there to protect them. HR is there to protect the company.

Reactions: 1 user