Will Computers Make Radiologists Obselete in Our Lifetime?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppetmaster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is some research going on concerning automated imaging, and I've seen some work on automated tumor detection in the brain. Does anyone think that radiologists will become obselete within the next 30 years? How about pathologists?

Other specialties I think would be spared because people like interacting with other people. But other than certain types of radiology, the specialty for the most part doesn't deal with patients directly.

Or is radiology sufficiently complicated and nuanced that the technology for making automated diagnosis is more difficult than it's worth?

I apologize in advance if I have insulted anyone with my naivete.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.

All physicians will be antequated by computerized diagnosis and surgical robots. And so will every job in the world.

This was a big fear of the airline pilot a long time with greater automation of airplanes, yet, they still have jobs. Stop worrying about nonsense...computer geeks would love you to think that computers will do everything from wiping your arse to perfoming brain surgery.

lma@GeddyLee :laugh:

I wouldn't be worried about it because it just won't happen for mission critical stuff. Computers will always have a bug or two in them.