Will having tattoos affect my career?

Miilaxox

Unicorn
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore in high school and I want to become either a neurologist, neurosurgeon or a OB/GYN. The brain is the most fascinating part of the human body to me and I also find pregnancy and everything to do with female anatomy equally as interesting. Will having a few tattoos ( inside of the arm/wrist affect my career?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sophomore in high school and I want to become either a neurologist, neurosurgeon or a OB/GYN. The brain is the most fascinating part of the human body to me and I also find pregnancy and everything to do with female anatomy equally as interesting. Will having a few tattoos ( inside of the arm/wrist affect my career?

If you have tats, you should seriously consider orthopedic surgery.
:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Will having a few tattoos ( inside of the arm/wrist affect my career?
It could, yes.

People can argue about how it shouldn't, but it certainly could. You can hide them for an interview, if you're wearing long sleeves, but if you're ever wearing scrubs and people could see your tattoos and didn't like them, then it could affect you.

I've got a good friend who is a very nice guy, has a family, intelligent and funny, but he's got a few tattoos on his neck, and he's had a terrible time finding any kind of job. Choose wisely.

My mom knows a physician that has a tattoo, but he covers it up with tattoo makeup every time he goes to work. So no, having a visible tattoo isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, but it might require a little extra work. Hope this helps!

Get it in an area where only your significant other might be able to see it.

Reactions: 1 user
Clean=class=professional. You can always wear a white long-sleeved tshirt under your scrubs. Just coverup and you will be fine :).

Clean=class=professional. You can always wear a white long-sleeved tshirt under your scrubs. Just coverup and you will be fine :).

Nope. At least not in the OR. No t-shirts or anything long-sleeved under your scrubs. If its on your arms, it will be visible until you gown.

As noted above, tattoos which are visible will be considered unprofessional (at best) and offensive (at worst) to some of the population, be it an admissions member, patient or colleague. There are fields in which they are more acceptable, but none of those are Neurology, Neurosurgery or Ob-Gyn (especially the latter if the OP is a tatted up male; that can be intimidating to women).

If you really want to get a tattoo, please do it in a place normally covered by clothes and not visible anyone when you are dressed, lest you risk being judged.

I don't see that the OP specified that they were a boy/girl. But I think it would be pretty funny if a 15/16 year old boy in high school already had his mind set on OB/GYN just because he found the female body "fascinating".

Make sure you do your research and know all the good/bad/ugly that's involved in that field before you make up your mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Tattoos on the wrist and arms I can definitely see as a possibility for getting judged and creating a few problems. Those aren't hard to hide during the admissions process though, and I haven't heard of anyone getting kicked out of medical school for having them or showing them later. I do think it's definitely a more risky place to get one when it comes to professional reasons.

I've got two that are visible - one on each foot. I wore make-up on them in my interview so I could wear cute heels, but I've never had a problem leaving them visible while working or volunteering at hospitals. We'll see what happens in medical school. Mine are semi-visible and borderline for being a problem I suppose, but I don't regret getting them one bit. I get more compliments on them than weird looks or judging comments.

Unfortunately, yes. The med school of Puerto Rico does't allow students with tattoos.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get tattoos, Get them in places where they arent visible on a day to day basis and if so, very minor. It's a professional ideal that will never go away. I have 2 on my arms but they are not visible in normal clothes, scrubs, etc. I thought of those choices when i got them, planned ahead for any career i had in mind! :D

While many won't be, chances are SOMEONE along the way will be put off by you having a tattoo. And it only takes one person derail your application process. If you really want them I would suggest somewhere that is concealed by a t-shirt. No need to add more drama to the application process.

Survivor DO

I've got two that are visible - one on each foot. I wore make-up on them in my interview so I could wear cute heels, but I've never had a problem leaving them visible while working or volunteering at hospitals. We'll see what happens in medical school. Mine are semi-visible and borderline for being a problem I suppose, but I don't regret getting them one bit. I get more compliments on them than weird looks or judging comments.

In general people aren't going to make judging comments in front of you; society still has some people who respect the rules about "if you can't say something nice..."

As a matter of fact, I often compliment my patients on their tattoos even though I have negative thoughts about them. Its a conversation starter and it makes them feel good; I would never say something rude to them but the compliment doesn't mean that I support the practice.

Obligatory:

tattoos1d.png

Reactions: 2 users
In general people aren't going to make judging comments in front of you; society still has some people who respect the rules about "if you can't say something nice..."

As a matter of fact, I often compliment my patients on their tattoos even though I have negative thoughts about them. Its a conversation starter and it makes them feel good; I would never say something rude to them but the compliment doesn't mean that I support the practice.

I'll admit. You're right, and that probably is true. I understand the preconceptions that you and others might have about them... my mother is one of those people... But I am not, and my tattoos are pretty important to me. I think you just have to make wise, informed decisions about where you're getting them and if you are willing to deal with consequences they may create. I am glad mine can be hidden by just wearing a different type of shoe. I personally would never get one near my lower arm or wrist because they can be nearly impossible to hide without make-up.

Some people may judge and that can have an effect. However, if you interview in a suit it shouldn't affect your chances to get admitted/hired. FWIW one of the neurosurgery residents I work with has sleeves.

Of course it will, you will have no future if you have tattoos... Jk, make sure its not visible when you go to ANY interview or even tours. Cover that ish up.

Sadly op, having tats probably will affect you due to the "stereotypes" that fall with them. There are those who don't give a shyt and are like ok, it's a tat, idgaf. And THEN, there are the people that go "omg, watch out guys, I think there's a gang member by us, I just saw a guy that a tat." If you want the tat, don't let judging *******es be the ones that are holding you back, but that's IF you really want it and means something to you.

Btw, you said you're a sophomore in hs, if anything should worry you, be it your parents finding out lol. And my bad if my post restated something already mentioned

As someone with tattoos, I've found it easier to relate with physicians that have tattoos of their own.

Also, it obviously matters what you have a tattoo of in addition to where it is placed.

I agree with @WingedScapula...and honestly majority of the responses. They just give off an "unprofessional vibe" to most people. If you need to have one, get it in a place that no one can notice at work....

Obligatory:

tattoos1d.png
+1

In all honesty it's just not worth it. In high school, I got my nose pierced and was close to getting my upper ears pierced (and thought many times about getting a tattoo), but I'm so glad I put it off until I was 18 (or older for the tattoo). I've had many friends who got tatted in high school (and they were cute small tattoos) which they regret now. Give it time and chances are you will get bored with the idea of it. I even regret now getting my nose pierced since I'll likely have a small scar for the rest of my life. I took it out once I got to college because I wanted to be taken seriously, especially in a conservative setting like medicine. Volunteering, doing internships, and possibly getting a job in undergrad (in a healthcare setting) may become more difficult for you. This is just what I've noticed personally, but there's always exceptions so I hope I do not offend anyone who does have tattoos already. :oops:

Even when I got hired in the ER as a scribe they made sure none of us had tattoos. I think no matter what, people will always slightly look at you differently if you have a tattoo. If I were you, I'd wait until I'm much older (like past 20) before I think about getting a tattoo. Your tattoo will be with you for the rest of your life, there's no need to rush it.

I don't have any tats or piercings. I will never get any unless I get drunk in college and my friends shove a nail in my ear.

I don't have any tats or piercings. I will never get any unless I get drunk in college and my friends shove a nail in my ear.
Or you join the military.

I thought the military discouraged tattoos.
Haha nah. The only protocol on tattoos is they can't be seen with the Class A uniform (face, neck, or hands) or be questionable in nature (gang signs or generally offensive). You're also not supposed to get sleeve tattoos once in the military, but at most they'll give you a written slap on the wrist and chew your ass for a day before moving on to more pressing matters.

Keep in mind you can get a waiver for most of the previous offenses and still be able to enter the military without a problem.

--few things here, you have to lift if you want to be a doctor, and or if you have tattoos, and second you have to go to college, and then get into med school, and then do med school, before you can be any of those desired professions, slow your roll man.

yes, having tattoos will cause people to judge you. and usually negatively.

the good news is that there are several new treatments for hepatitis.

I doubt it. One of the best attendings/coolest attendings was this dude with tribal tattoos extending upwards on his torso and onto his shoulder. Looked amazing. People didn't mind...because he was a great, compassionate doctor [surgeon if you want specifics].

Haha nah. The only protocol on tattoos is they can't be seen with the Class A uniform (face, neck, or hands) or be questionable in nature (gang signs or generally offensive). You're also not supposed to get sleeve tattoos once in the military, but at most they'll give you a written slap on the wrist and chew your ass for a day before moving on to more pressing matters.

Keep in mind you can get a waiver for most of the previous offenses and still be able to enter the military without a problem.

I know this is a super late response but that's not true. I'm just getting out of the marine corps...tattoo policy is non visible in PT gear now. Has been for a while. And if it is visible outside of PT gear it can't be bigger than 5 inches in diameter. Can't be gang related or offensive, nude women etc...they say if you can cover it with fingers extended and joined and thumb along the hand then you're good. Personally...I think that's a safe bet in regards to tattoos for most jobs if there isn't a definitive "no tattoos" policy.

1. Many things that seem really cool in high school won't seem really cool at 25 or beyond.
2. There are so many better ways of self expression that won't hurt you professionally. Write, paint, start a blog.
3. If you are rebelling against something by getting a tattoo, you lost the rebellion -- nobody cares. There are so many better ways to stand up for what you believe in.
4. Cartoon characters and tramp stamps are not something you'll look fondly upon when you sober up. Calvin and Hobbs is fun to read but doesn't inspire competence.
5. Don't put Asian or other foreign lettering on your body unless you actually can read the language. Nearly none of those symbols people tend to get actually mean courage, hope or things people think they say. More often you are unknowingly labeling yourself with the symbol for tractor or diarrhea.
6. Tribal markings are fine if you are in a Tribe. If not, you are a poser.
7. Unless you are in the armed forces, getting any tattoo with a skull, knife, gun, or bomb also makes you a poser.
8. Skin sags and wrinkles. What looks like a great image at 18 looks like Jabba the hut at 40. And you will still care about your looks at 40.
9. People judge. People who need you to look the part of a professional (be they doctors, colleagues, patients) judge harder.
10. You can always get a tattoo later, so don't brand yourself permanently now. At 65 if you still want that flaming skull on your forehead, go get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
One of the OMM fellows during my basic science years had a tattoo in a controversial region of her body and it was very visible, she is now in a residency at some big name university hospital. So no tattoos do not affect your career.

The OP has one for medical reasons, so I do not see why it is an issue.

I've got a chest piece and half sleeve visible in scrubs but easily concealed with a button-up. I have no qualms about it.
These are high school students asking for advice.
We need to tell them the truth, not what you may wish were the truth.

Reactions: 3 users
I highly discourage it, I am by no means a doctor. But I would keep it very very minimal if you choose to.

I highly discourage it, I am by no means a doctor. But I would keep it very very minimal if you choose to.

I disagree, I just said an OMM fellow at my school had one on a very "controversial" part of her body and no one ever told her anything. She currently is in a pretty good university residency program.

What you do to your body is your own business. I even know students who have body piercings.

Want to really stand out from your classmates in medical school? Wear an Italian tailored 3 piece suit to class everyday, if you can afford it. In the old days only the wealthy could afford to go to medical school and students used to wear suits to class. I saw these historical photos of students from decades ago and grooming standards in the 21st century have fallen so much.

Last edited:
I disagree, I just said an OMM fellow at my school had one on a very "controversial" part of her body and no one ever told her anything. She currently is in a pretty good university residency program.

What you do to your body is your own business. I even know students who have body piercings.

Want to really stand out from your classmates in medical school? Wear an Italian tailored 3 piece suit to class everyday, if you can afford it. In the old days only the wealthy could afford to go to medical school and students used to wear suits to class. I saw these historical photos of students from decades ago and grooming standards in the 21st century have fallen so much.

Good advice, going to go get sunglasses tattooed across my face.

I'm gonna stick to wearing scrubs or athletic shorts and a t-shirt to class though

Good advice, going to go get sunglasses tattooed across my face.

I'm gonna stick to wearing scrubs or athletic shorts and a t-shirt to class though

Maybe that might be a bit extreme.

One of the old school DOs showed me pictures of students from the old days, and people were really well dressed in those days, people in class used to dress the way students dressed to interviews.

One of the OMM fellows during my basic science years had a tattoo in a controversial region of her body and it was very visible, she is now in a residency at some big name university hospital. So no tattoos do not affect your career.

The OP has one for medical reasons, so I do not see why it is an issue.

Please. Knowing one person is not statistically significant. There will always be outliers. Plus you don't know what career opportunities this resident didn't get, just the one she got, so you are just assuming her career hasn't been impacted but that might not be the case. So yes, visible tattoos can have an impact and the "I know a guy" argument is the equivalent of not having a statistically significant leg to stand on.

Reactions: 2 users
Please. Knowing one person is not statistically significant. There will always be outliers. Plus you don't know what career opportunities this resident didn't get, just the one she got, so you are just assuming her career hasn't been impacted but that might not be the case. So yes, visible tattoos can have an impact and the "I know a guy" argument is the equivalent of not having a statistically significant leg to stand on.

What people do to their own body is their own personal business, I even have classmates who have piercings. The OP has tattoos for medical purposes, I see no issue with them.

What people do to their own body is their own personal business, I even have classmates who have piercings. The OP has tattoos for medical purposes, I see no issue with them.

It's their on business only if it's only visible to themselves. But in a professional field you are expected to dress, groom the part or employers won't hire you. You are very much a representative of the institution when you meet with patients, their families, other clinicians. You aren't on your own time or allowed to do your own thing or express yourself however you want without career implications. This isn't my decision, this dates back to at least the turn of the century. "Dress for success" and looking professional is really not a new concept, but as tattoos/body piercings have become more popular this concept has expanded to relate to those as well. So it's your decision, but a decision with implications on your professional life. That flaming dagger better be worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
It's their on business only if it's only visible to themselves. But in a professional field you are expected to dress, groom the part or employers won't hire you. You are very much a representative of the institution when you meet with patients, their families, other clinicians. You aren't on your own time or allowed to do your own thing or express yourself however you want without career implications. This isn't my decision, this dates back to at least the turn of the century. "Dress for success" and looking professional is really not a new concept, but as tattoos/body piercings have become more popular this concept has expanded to relate to those as well. So it's your decision, but a decision with implications on your professional life. That flaming dagger better be worth it.

She was not the only person in school wearing one too, I even saw one of my professors with an interesting pattern on his forearm, most of the time it would be covered up anyway.

I would only say there are some tattoos that would cross the line and get would someone in trouble though. Mostly if it is not visible it is not an issue.

As far as professional dress is concerned things have changed a lot and some things have not. People these days get away with a little bit here and there these days depending upon who they are. I know quite a few people who dress "business casual" to work, where slacks and dress shirts or Polos to work rather than a dress shirt and tie.

Last edited:

Whether you get a tattoo is your own personal choice. Whether someone thinks less of you for that decision is their own personal choice. See, we all get to make our choices. I'd rather not give the chance to make the latter choice to someone with the ability to impact my career.

Can't help. Might hurt. Why do it?

Whether you get a tattoo is your own personal choice. Whether someone thinks less of you for that decision is their own personal choice. See, we all get to make our choices. I'd rather not give the chance to make the latter choice to someone with the ability to impact my career.

Can't help. Might hurt. Why do it?

Speaking of tattoos, there was a graduate of my school who also was a model before she attended school. I do no think it hurt her career at all.