Will I be even be considered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJDDGDPR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when I graduate high school I didn’t know what I wanted to do but I knew I wanted something to do with healthcare, so I choose biology but then I had some problems and I had to stop going to classes but I never withdraw so that semesters I had all F, I took a semester off to think about what I wanted and I enrolled in another university in an engineering major but those health problems returned and I had to withdraw from that semester, the next semester I tried again, but then the pandemic started and I couldn’t communicate with my professors or university and I had all F again, so in the end I had 8 F and 2 W, now I’m studying nursing and everything is going súper but I was wondering if a medical school will even consider me with not only the bad grades at the beggining but the career switch, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't trust any school that entertains you. Your best bet is to continue your nursing program, be a nurse for a number of years, and put distance and more education between you and those Fs. What is your GPA with all those Fs?

Reactions: 1 user
I think that you have dug yourself too deep a hole for now.

A DIY postbac in the future might be the only salvation.

At least contact your school and ask if you can retroactively withdraw from the F courses. This IS a thing, and the worst thing they'd tell you is "no".

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't trust any school that entertains you. Your best bet is to continue your nursing program, be a nurse for a number of years, and put distance and more education between you and those Fs. What is your GPA with all those Fs?

My gpa is 3.62 and since I started my nursing degree I have gotten all A, also I’m from Puerto Rico which is a part is the United States but doesn’t have the stigma of Caribbean schools, so I could at least try that, but thank you for your advise

I think that you have dug yourself too deep a hole for now.

A DIY postbac in the future might be the only salvation.

At least contact your school and ask if you can retroactively withdraw from the F courses. This IS a thing, and the worst thing they'd tell you is "no".

Thank you so much, I will go and do that as soon as possible, and couldn’t I take the classes I had F on while I’m doing my nursing degree and it would substitute the previous grade? Or will the previous F affect me anyways?

Thank you so much, I will go and do that as soon as possible, and couldn’t I take the classes I had F on while I’m doing my nursing degree and it would substitute the previous grade? Or will the previous F affect me anyways?
Grade substitution isn't a thing anymore. The two grades will average out. BUT, you should retake all C- and lesser grades in the pre-reqs.

Read this:

My gpa is 3.62 and since I started my nursing degree I have gotten all A, also I’m from Puerto Rico which is a part is the United States but doesn’t have the stigma of Caribbean schools, so I could at least try that, but thank you for your advise
How could you possibly have a 3.6 GPA with 8 Fs? 🤔There is no grade replacement in figuring your GPAs for med school applications. So do what @Goro suggested and try to get rid of those Fs. See where you are after you graduate and work as a nurse for a few years. .

Reactions: 1 users
How could you possibly have a 3.6 GPA with 8 Fs? There is no grade replacement in figuring your GPAs for med school applications. So do what @Goro suggested and try to get rid of those Fs. See where you are after you graduate and work as a nurse for a few years. .

I have taken 75 credits and gotten A in all of them, so unless I’m calculating wrong then I think that’s my current gpa, I will go to my university tomorrow and see what are my options, but thank you very much for your advice

I have taken 75 credits and gotten A in all of them, so unless I’m calculating wrong then I think that’s my current gpa, I will go to my university tomorrow and see what are my options, but thank you very much for your advice
That's info that would have been helpful in your OP. It changes the calculus!

Even if your school replaces a F with annA or whatever, when you apply to med school through the application services, you submit a transcript from every school you have ever attended. Whether it was during high school, college(dual enrollment), university or community college. And don’t think you can skip sending some. They’ll know,

Reactions: 1 users