Will I do OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illiad99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions. My test date is May 20th (Tuesday), and I think I'll be okay to take the test and pass, but I just want to be confident. My scores have been as follow:
NBME 1 - 198 (3+ weeks ago)
NBME 2 - 206 (2 weeks ago)
NBME 3 - 215 (yesterday)
NBME 4 - 160/200 (today)
USMLE practice - 74% (which according to medfriends is a 226, but who really knows)
Kaplan Qbank - 62% (80% completed)

Honestly, my realistic goal is to get around a 215. I'd be ecstatic if I broke a 220, but disappointed if I was under a 210. Do you think my performance thus far will get me to where I want to be on Tuesday? I cannot postpone my test date, so that's really not an option at this point.

Also, is the medfriends a good predictor of scores using the NBME & USMLEP scores?

Lastly, does anyone know what a 160/200 would come out to be for NBME form 4?

Members don't see this ad.

No one knows the exact formula for the NBME self assessments.

You've showed steady improvement according to the NBME assessments, and you still have 5 days left to study. You can commit a lot of facts to memory in that time, such as biochem pathways, glycogen and lysozomal storage diseases, high yield neuro pathways, high yield pharm side effects, hormone receptor mechanisms, autonomic phys and pharm, etc. May sound like a lot, but you probably understand that stuff pretty well, and if you are like most folks the memorization part just doesn't stick for long. So freshen all of that in your memory, along with the "most commons" and high-yield lists in FA, and I don't see why you can't improve yet again on your last known score (216).

I wanted to get some opinions. My test date is May 20th (Tuesday), and I think I'll be okay to take the test and pass, but I just want to be confident. My scores have been as follow:
NBME 3 - 215 (yesterday)
NBME 4 - 160/200 (today)
USMLE practice - 74% (which according to medfriends is a 226, but who really knows)

Honestly, my realistic goal is to get around a 215. I'd be ecstatic if I broke a 220, but disappointed if I was under a 210. Do you think my performance thus far will get me to where I want to be on Tuesday? I cannot postpone my test date, so that's really not an option at this point.

Also, is the medfriends a good predictor of scores using the NBME & USMLEP scores?

Ignore the USMLE practice, that is by far the worst indicator in the list you indicated. NBME says all over its site that its tests are not meant to predict your actual score. So I would use them more as gauges regarding what topics you need to work harder on, and whether you are showing improvement over time, rather than their actual predictive value. I know as many people for whom they claim these tests were good predictors as not so good. On SDN you only see a segment of that population, and I think the sentiment is more toward predictive value than is probably accurate for the population at large. But improving from one test to another is probably a good sign, even if the actual scores derived from medfriends is pretty meaningless (and it is, IMHO). So use it as a gauge, not an indicator, and you are better off.

Sounds like you're on pace to break 220. Those last 5 days will be crucial to your successs, make sure you really pound out all the memorization stuff in these next few days and that should put you over the edge. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
NBME 3 - 215 (yesterday)
NBME 4 - 160/200 (today)

Given your past scores, I would say youre in good shape to be at 215. I think youre probably much more likely to be in the 220's. Ive looked at all the Step 1 experiences threads from the last three years, and very few people score lower than any of their nbme's. It does happen, but i wouldnt expect that to happen, especially if you keep studying. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

I'm right there with you-taking mine on Tuesday.

Sounds like you are on track. Good luck!

Thanks for all the encouraging words! You're helping my confidence, which will be crucial to my "being comfortable" on test day. Okay, I'm ready to begin my study day. Only 3 more days left to cram in information!!

Good luck to you on Tuesday, Cashew! We can do it!!