Will I eventually need a security clearance if I join the army reserves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace_inhibitor111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning on signing up for the Army STRAP program, but curious to know if I will need a security clearance as part of the medical reserves or to deploy. What would happen in worse case scenario they deny one in the future after joining?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you will do a security clearance for the military as a medical officer. Unless you have serious debt, lots of criminal history, or some strange foreign ties you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes you will do a security clearance for the military as a medical officer. Unless you have serious debt, lots of criminal history, or some strange foreign ties you should be fine.

Thanks, I am mostly concerned about medical records. I had a stint in college where I was admitted inpatient for anxiety/panic attacks, and concerned about how this would affect getting a security clearance, and whether they go through medical records? I wonder if it is possible to request one now before signing up for STRAP to see if I'm even eligible first before committing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I am mostly concerned about medical records. I had a stint in college where I was admitted inpatient for anxiety/panic attacks, and concerned about how this would affect getting a security clearance, and whether they go through medical records? I wonder if it is possible to request one now before signing up for STRAP to see if I'm even eligible first before committing.

That would be more of a MEPS consideration for entry. You clear MEPS and get in then usually you would be fine. If you can pass the background check to be commissioned as an officer a security clearance should not be a problem unless you decide to get a few DUI's, domestic violence charges, drug habit, or marry someone from another country. I joke, but seriously I've seen all those things happen with officers.

That would be more of a MEPS consideration for entry. You clear MEPS and get in then usually you would be fine. If you can pass the background check to be commissioned as an officer a security clearance should not be a problem unless you decide to get a few DUI's, domestic violence charges, drug habit, or marry someone from another country. I joke, but seriously I've seen all those things happen with officers.

I was married to a foreign national (with green card) the entire time I was on active duty. Never had a problem. I wasn’t married to a North Korean or Chinese National with ties to the PLA, though. But I think you’re safe on that one.

I bet 1/50 uniformed seamen that I see in clinic nowadays are literally from China. Like: trouble with English, whole family in China, wife is still a Chinese citizen, etc., etc.

Which always seems odd to me, since China is literally the biggest threat in the world. But whatever. I’m sure the military is making smart decisions....right...?

I was married to a foreign national (with green card) the entire time I was on active duty. Never had a problem. I wasn’t married to a North Korean or Chinese National with ties to the PLA, though. But I think you’re safe on that one.

I bet 1/50 uniformed seamen that I see in clinic nowadays are literally from China. Like: trouble with English, whole family in China, wife is still a Chinese citizen, etc., etc.

Which always seems odd to me, since China is literally the biggest threat in the world. But whatever. I’m sure the military is making smart decisions....right...?

Yeah I had a guy on my ship who was born in California get denied a TS because his parents are Chinese citizens, but 5 other members of the crew were literally right off the boat.