will i get an interview with my step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i did terribly on step 1 - 192. will i get an interview. i'm in the bottom quartile of my class. BUT: i have 3 publications (one peer-reviewed in forensic psychiatry, one Institute of Medicine Report, and one web-published article). I also have a master's degree in biomedical ethics from an ivy league school. my freshman summer, i was an pre-doc fellow in geriatric psych at UCSD. my interest is in forensic psychiatry.

how should i proceed? what can i do to bolster my application? what types of programs will i most likely match? i wish to be at a university program if possible, is this possible?

thanks for any help. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you'll get invitations to interview. In general, the USMLE scores are less important in psychiatry than in other fields. The bright side is that you passed. Some programs do use the USMLE scores to screen applicants, but I do not think this is common practice and most likely occurs at the highly competitive programs; so you might not get to interview everywhere and anywhere you want. I've found that programs are more impressed by your ability to do well during your 3rd and 4th year clerkships than the exams. Plus, you have the opportunity to improve your score on Step 2.

You'll be fine, don't worry...

hey, thanks big. it's a relief to know that i should at least get the chance at interviewing. i'll work hard this year and next and try and kick butt on step 2. hopefully my publications and grad work will help.

thanks again.