Will I match FM? Help! Thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simmbaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found out I had a drop in score from COMLEX level 1 to level 2.. pretty disappointed because had such a good feeling leaving Level 2. Scored a 620 on a COMSAE about a week prior.
I'm a OMS-IV Canadian at a DO school, so need visa
Stats:
Step 1: 234
Level 1: 554
Level 2: 522
COMLEX-PE: Pass, 1st attempt
Extracurriculars: lots
4th yr Auditions: auditioning at all FM places that sponsor visas. Heard great things from my preceptors thus far.
Pubs/Presentations: 10+ (I know this is not very imp for FM)

Will be applying to all programs that are visa-friendly (comes out to about 150+). Is this excessive?

My goal is to match FM in a smaller city, would be totally fine w the rural location too. Any advice is appreciated. Hope I'm not doomed... thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, definitely apply to all of the programs. I'd throw in some radiology and anesthesiology programs for back up.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Yeah, definitely apply to all of the programs. I'd throw in some radiology and anesthesiology programs for back up.

I really don't know how to take this. I appreciate the humor, but I'm genuinely concerned about my chances at matching..

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't know how to take this. I appreciate the humor, but I'm genuinely concerned about my chances at matching..
You have no red flags so you're fine. Relax. Seriously. 150 programs is nuts, half of that is probably nuts too. Relax.

Reactions: 1 users
Every single DO who applied with your step 1 score or higher matched FM, so I think you're gonna be ok.

Why are you even concerned? Does the Canadian thing make it harder to match or something? Because all available data that a quick easy google/sdn search could show you that you’re g2g for FM as well as for many other fields. Programs will see your 230+ step and not care about Comlex in the slightest.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you even concerned? Does the Canadian thing make it harder to match or something? Because all available data that a quick easy google/sdn search could show you that you’re g2g for FM as well as for many other fields. Programs will see your 230+ step and not care about Comlex in the slightest.

Thank you everyone. Yes I do have a competitive STEP 1, but Im not taking STEP 2 CK because my practice scores were not good at all. Therefore, I'm concerned about the Level 1 to Level 2 drop because I will be using my COMLEX scores for application.

I'm not sure if the Canadian thing makes it harder. But its probably more realistic to assume it adds an obstacle because I need a visa. My major concern is how programs will read that drop in COMLEX from Level 1 to Level 2

Thank you everyone. Yes I do have a competitive STEP 1, but Im not taking STEP 2 CK because my practice scores were not good at all. Therefore, I'm concerned about the Level 1 to Level 2 drop because I will be using my COMLEX scores for application.
Don’t be worried at all. Just send them step 1 alongside Comlex and you’ll be drowning in interviews.

Don’t be worried at all. Just send them step 1 alongside Comlex and you’ll be drowning in interviews.

Oh snap I didn't know I could just submit Step 1 w/o taking Step 2 as well. I heard that raises questions and those programs require the candidate to take Step 2 as well. But good to know!

It’s family med nobody will care probably will have the highest scores of most people interviewing there

Even if I only submit my COMLEX scores?

Sorry guys other kids in my class have such high scores. I really don't mean to sound annoying, but I was genuinely worried about my lower end COMLEX scores

I can see being anxious about the whole visa thing. But really most people applying FM would be stoked to have your scores. If I were you, I would even check my email on match day.

It's FM bro... Your salary potential will only be 300k.:p

People on here don't get the handicap of needing a visa. You should submit USMLE, absolutely. You should apply to a LOT of programs (150 sounds right). You need to identify which sponsor visas and limit your apps to those. Its a big handicap, but you'll be fine. A lot of FM programs don't actually sponsor any visas. IM programs tend to sponsor more, but again you should be fine for FM. Just make sure you research the programs well.

Reactions: 4 users
People on here don't get the handicap of needing a visa. You should submit USMLE, absolutely. You should apply to a LOT of programs (150 sounds right). You need to identify which sponsor visas and limit your apps to those. Its a big handicap, but you'll be fine. A lot of FM programs don't actually sponsor any visas. IM programs tend to sponsor more, but again you should be fine for FM. Just make sure you research the programs well.

Yea this is more along the lines I was expecting. There are about 298 visa friendly programs, but also need to filter for DO friendly. My only hesitation for submitting USMLE is that I didn't take Step 2 CK; so not sure how that looks.

Yea this is more along the lines I was expecting. There are about 298 visa friendly programs, but also need to filter for DO friendly. My only hesitation for submitting USMLE is that I didn't take Step 2 CK; so not sure how that looks.
It's ok to submit Step 1 w/o Step 2 as a DO

Eh. Speaking as someone who needs one, the J1 visa is a fairly easy visa to obtain and places a lot of the burden and responsibility on the resident. From what I've seen, most programs will be okay with it, since they aren't directly sponsoring you. Now if you want an H1B visa, which you should, then we're talking. In my specialty there are only a handful of programs that will offer it, and most won't even look at a DO.

Keep us posted OP.

Eh. Speaking as someone who needs one, the J1 visa is a fairly easy visa to obtain and places a lot of the burden and responsibility on the resident. From what I've seen, most programs will be okay with it, since they aren't directly sponsoring you. Now if you want an H1B visa, which you should, then we're talking. In my specialty there are only a handful of programs that will offer it, and most won't even look at a DO.

Keep us posted OP.

It depends a lot on region as well as specialty. I know plenty of people that apply seeking visas, and they struggle, even for J1. There are a lot of programs that don't offer any visa sponsorship, even J1. There are 670 FM programs in the US and as mentioned above less than half sponsor J1 visas (298 programs) and 10% sponsor H1B (69 programs). Sure, you can still match, but you its a handicap, and you need to apply accordingly. OP is doing that, so its very likely they'll match.

It depends a lot on region as well as specialty. I know plenty of people that apply seeking visas, and they struggle, even for J1. There are a lot of programs that don't offer any visa sponsorship, even J1. There are 670 FM programs in the US and as mentioned above less than half sponsor J1 visas (298 programs) and 10% sponsor H1B (69 programs). Sure, you can still match, but you its a handicap, and you need to apply accordingly. OP is doing that, so its very likely they'll match.
Wow! Only half? I really lucked out with my specialty. I know that a lot of AOA programs don't, and that probably explains it to some degree. I don't have the data, but from browsing FREIDA and checking individual program websites, it seems like > 75% do sponsor J1 in my field.

I'm not sure if the Canadian thing makes it harder. But its probably more realistic to assume it adds an obstacle because I need a visa. My major concern is how programs will read that drop in COMLEX from Level 1 to Level 2
It's fam med.
They take everyone with a passing score; they don't care about a "drop", or a board failure, or any red flags...
You have none of those so you'll match wherever you want.

Last edited:
Person in my class who failed Comlex 1 twice and then Comlex 2 once matched family med.

Another person in my class who just barely passed comlex 1 and failed comlex 2 twice matched family med.

You'll be ok.