Employment & Professional Networking Will I survive the clinical setting with a researched based education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabjunkie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice for pursuing a research-based program (due to significant cost difference / funding) when I know I want to practice clinically? Will I survive the transition and be prepared enough? :thinking:

The program is ranked in the Top 15 programs nationally, but they do carry a stronger research component.

Will I even be prepared "enough" to be successful in fieldworks? I planned to do level FW II in the area I'd like to reside and work after school. Will I be able to make a decent impression clinically?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

You learn the bulk of what you need in the real world in fieldwork anyway. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Supplement your studies with a clinical job if you're worried.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for pursuing a research-based program (due to significant cost difference / funding) when I know I want to practice clinically? Will I survive the transition and be prepared enough? :thinking:
The program is ranked in the Top 15 programs nationally, but they do carry a stronger research component.

Will I even be prepared "enough" to be successful in fieldworks? I planned to do level FW II in the area I'd like to reside and work after school. Will I be able to make a decent impression clinically?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you !

Are you referring to TWU?

I have a friend in the program you are mentioning. They have recently had some issues where fieldwork sites have called back to the school and were concerned how they were preparing them for fieldwork. I think it’s all in how you prepare yourself too. You need experience to do well in the field anyways.

No, two Wisconsin programs are more research geared (University of Wisconsin Madison and Milwaukee).

Also, it’s good to mention that in some research-based programs they really push research and doing PhD research on you. An OT I work with was really turned off by this because she just wanted to practice clinically. Overall, we need at least some research in our educational experience to be evidence-based practitioners

I have a friend in the program you are mentioning. They have recently had some issues where fieldwork sites have called back to the school and were concerned how they were preparing them for fieldwork. I think it’s all in how you prepare yourself too. You need experience to do well in the field anyways.

If you mean Milwaukee, the curriculum has undergone changes with our class' feedback... definitely take the Acute Care elective! I did not and, though I caught up in time, everyone said it was extremely helpful. We recommended that the program make the course mandatory before going on your level 2 phys dis placement.

Out of our class, I'm only aware of one person who consistently had trouble on fieldwork and needed extra placements. If you are capable of respectfully taking criticism, talking to your supervisor when you need help, learning from mistakes, and thinking on your feet, it will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
If you mean Milwaukee, the curriculum has undergone changes with our class' feedback... definitely take the Acute Care elective! I did not and, though I caught up in time, everyone said it was extremely helpful. We recommended that the program make the course mandatory before going on your level 2 phys dis placement.

Out of our class, I'm only aware of one person who consistently had trouble on fieldwork and needed extra placements. If you are capable of respectfully taking criticism, talking to your supervisor when you need help, learning from mistakes, and thinking on your feet, it will be fine.
I was not talking about Milwaukee, but I know that Milwaukee has been proactive in accommodating to what the students want with feedback! I mean it makes sense...you are investing in a education and you should be able to voice your opinion!

Last edited:

Thank you so much for sharing! I know everyone says you learn the most from fieldwork... but I wanted to make sure I'd feel prepared enough for fieldwork too.

Wow that's really interesting and I was wondering since the school your mentioning seems more researched based than the other program. Yeah that's what I'm wondering after looking at the curriculum because it seems really geared for further schooling and research rather than taking the knowledge and applying it clinically.

Wow that's really interesting and I was wondering since the school your mentioning seems more researched based than the other program. Yeah that's what I'm wondering after looking at the curriculum because it seems really geared for further schooling and research rather than taking the knowledge and applying it clinically.
Did you apply to Milwaukee and Madison?