Will It Hurt Me a Great Deal If I Don't Graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused 20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended college for three and a half years before stopping for two and a half years due to depression. I returned this fall in hopes of graduating in May. I planned on taking two semesters to graduate because I wanted to complete the Biology prerequisites and also take a few other Biology courses to improve my science gpa while I completed my degree. Last semester I took four courses which consisted of two Biology courses and two courses in my major. In order to graduate in May, all I need is two courses in my major. Instead of doing this I have decided to take one course in my major along with two Biology courses and a two credit research assignment. This will leave me with one course left in my major to complete before I graduate. I plan on graduating next May when I take the Chemistry and Physics prerequisites. How bad will this look to medical schools? Will it hurt me a great deal in that it will take five and a half years for me to graduate? Will I be asked about it in interviews? Will it help me to not have graduated when I fill out the financial aid documents for next fall? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN, Confused 20.

No, it will not look bad to finish your degree along with your pre-reqs. As long as you are working toward your degree and doing well it shouldn't even be an issue. There's no specific "timeline" that has to be followed, as long as you follow the general guidelines of finishing pre-reqs ---> MCAT ---> application.

Hi, Confused. No, it won't look bad to graduate as you finish your prerequisites. I see no advantage or disadvantage for aid purposes.

If you will excuse me for bringing up something you didn't ask about - please be sure that your depression is under good control before you try medical school. I don't believe that a physical or psychiatric disability should keep anyone out of medical school if you can function. My own experience, however, was that some problems that I had with anxiety and panic came back during my first semester of medical school that I hadn't had trouble with for many years. Medical school can easily push you to your limits psychologically. I would make sure that you're ready to handle stress that is, at times, extreme. Best of luck!