You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Will med school accept an online degree?
Started by GH253
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
how would the lab requirements be fulfilled via an online class?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The online program would not cover the med school prerequisites.
The strategy would be to complete a non-science degree online and then take the med school prerequisites at a community college or something along those lines.
The strategy would be to complete a non-science degree online and then take the med school prerequisites at a community college or something along those lines.
Last edited:
Are you sure this isn't like an associate degree program? I'm not sure I've heard of anyone getting a bachelor's online and covering medical prereqs. Come to think of it, I don't think it's possible to do requirements (like Orgo lab) online in any shape or form.
I don't think it'd work, GH.
I don't think it'd work, GH.
Are you sure this isn't like an associate degree program? I'm not sure I've heard of anyone getting a bachelor's online and covering medical prereqs. Come to think of it, I don't think it's possible to do requirements (like Orgo lab) online in any shape or form.
I don't think it'd work, GH.
The combo of the online degree and ALL science pre-reqs being from a CC would make for a weak application.
I would only use online or CC courses sparingly- if at all.
The combo of the online degree and ALL science pre-reqs being from a CC would make for a weak application.
I would only use online or CC courses sparingly- if at all.
agreed. in all honesty, even if you got straight As... I would still put your chances at slim to none
You won't be able to take any prereqs online....
You will still need to take the gen chem sequence followed by the o chem sequence with labs. It would take two years, atleast.
You will still need to take the gen chem sequence followed by the o chem sequence with labs. It would take two years, atleast.
Sort of related to discussion - You don't even need an undergrad degree to get accepted into med school. Awhile back I met a radiology fellow who didnt even graduate from highschool. (He was a semi-pro golfer for awhile and then just took pre-reqs for med school).
Sort of related to discussion - You don't even need an undergrad degree to get accepted into med school. Awhile back I met a radiology fellow who didnt even graduate from highschool. (He was a semi-pro golfer for awhile and then just took pre-reqs for med school).
Actually, some medical schools require a bachelor's degree for matriculation. Almost all (or perhaps all of them) require ~90 credits to matriculate. And my understanding is that very few applicants qualify for admission without an anticipated bachelor's degree, minimum.
So, I find your story a bit far-fetched. 🙂
Sort of related to discussion - You don't even need an undergrad degree to get accepted into med school. Awhile back I met a radiology fellow who didnt even graduate from highschool. (He was a semi-pro golfer for awhile and then just took pre-reqs for med school).
How did he get into college to complete the prereqs without a HS diploma or GED? I believe even CC's require a HS diploma or GED to take classes.
How did he get into college to complete the prereqs without a HS diploma or GED? I believe even CC's require a HS diploma or GED to take classes.
think it was a GED for him.
But also there are colleges that dont require HS diploma- Caltech, MIT, Georgia Tech come to mind (these could have changed since I saw the requirements though).
...from a reputable state school? (not Pheonix or Kaplan or some online degree mill)
No, unless the student is in the armed forces overseas and can not attend a brick and mortar university. The time has not yet come that these are adequately regarded by advanced degree programs.
You won't be able to take any prereqs online....
You will still need to take the gen chem sequence followed by the o chem sequence with labs. It would take two years, atleast.
That's already been covered about 3 times before your post.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did he get into college to complete the prereqs without a HS diploma or GED? I believe even CC's require a HS diploma or GED to take classes.
You don't need a high school diploma or a GED to take courses at a CC. I know because I have several friends currently doing this (no, they aren't in high school also, they're just drop outs).
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K