Will med schools accept transfer credit for med classes taken as a grad student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stroganoff

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a grad student enrolls in medical courses (alongside med students), are there any known medical schools that will let you bypass those courses? I'm not referring to SMP programs (like Georgetown), but say if a PhD student's first year is identical to MS-1. It would seem beneficial to be able to skip MS-1 as a future medical student.

Members don't see this ad.

If a grad student enrolls in medical courses (alongside med students), are there any known medical schools that will let you bypass those courses? I'm not referring to SMP programs (like Georgetown), but say if a PhD student's first year is identical to MS-1. It would seem beneficial to be able to skip MS-1 as a future medical student.
I know that several PhD programs have their first years either take classes with med students or takes classes identical to those med students would take. UT-SW has a phenomenal Bioengineering PhD program and is an example of this. But the classes don't transfer. The best thing to do would be to participate in a combined degree program where the MD classes count towards the PhD program (yes, it sounds backwards, but that's how it's done,).

I think your question is school-dependent. I am currently going to Medical College of GA for med school, and took several med school courses as a graduate student at the same school. I was not allowed to bypass any of those courses, although, taking it for the 2nd time made it a lot easier. Your best bet would be to ask the school.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, no. I'm retaking the med classes I took in grad school, too.

I got out of MSII pharmacology, but I think it's rare. The course director (for >20 years) said it's the first time he has allowed it. I would never have asked; it was a member of staff who knew my background and asked for me without my knowing.

I know that some of the graduate students that sit in on our medical school classes do not always take the same exams - the graduate department administers a different exam in some cases so, even if you stay at the same institution for your M.D., that might be a problem.

Keep in mind you need to know this stuff cold for Step 1 so it's critical that you at least audit the class if you get a free pass.