Medical Will medical school rescind my acceptance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After receiving my DO acceptance. I withdrew from my master's program ( I was only taking 1 class at the time of acceptance). I didn't think it would pose a problem. I'm worried now because I recently stumbled upon a few threads that had similar situations--with other users telling the OP to finish his/her master's degree.

My reason for dropping is that I wouldn't be able to obtain my degree on time, even if I was taking the maximum amount of credits per semester until matriculation. Right now I only have 4 out of the 30 required credits (9 if I had finished this course). In addition, it was a financial burden and I would rather put in more hours at work to save up for living expenses. My interviewer only asked why I was in the program, and didn't ask if I would finish it on time.

The adcoms must've known it was impossible for me to finish the degree on time. I would've been forced to take 21 credits and complete the master's level exams all in 1 semester. I even listed the expected completion date to be in June 2021 on my primary.

My acceptance letter states: Please be aware that this offer is contingent on your completion of any and all requirements for admission, which may not have been completed to date, and on the accuracy of the information provided to us in the admissions process.

I already finished all my pre-reqs in my undergraduate degree so I should be fine.. Right?

Edit: added more details.
Did you ask the admissions office for advice before you withdrew?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

It is a M.A. in Biology (30 credits, non-thesis) at my home institution (not SMP)

cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.0, Graduate GPA 4.0.

Spring 2019
  • Cell Biology (Grade = A, 4 credits)
Fall 2019
  • Molecular Biology (Grade = W, 5 credits)

Okay... I would check with the school, but since this isn't an SMP and you seem to just have begun a graduate master's, I suspect that you were accepted on the merits of your entire completed bachelor's degree. Did you have a rising GPA towards your jr/sr year? Is your bachelor's degree in biology or similar field? I don't know what the rest of your application is like (and you didn't leave any information online to see). I would think that you have fulfilled prerequisites specified by the school and that what you are taking are more on the "recommended" list. At any rate, I would let them know. They will find out later when they request final transcripts for fall term at the end of the year.

Most admissions committees can't do full followup calculating how many hours you would need to complete your master's degree. It has been my experience that decisions are made based on impressions from completed work with your transcript. It is always safer for a committee to waitlist you pending completion of requirements than to offer you an acceptance contingent on completing requirements only to rescind the offer later. (Granted, I could be wrong depending on how a committee behaves, but that is my experience and common sense.)

I received an email from SOMA's admissions office. They said my acceptance is not contingent on my completion of the master's program.

@Mr.Smile12 I really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.